• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

stasis :( - u/d stasis again

Oh thank goodness, that's great news. Really hope he carries on with the nomming, and you soon have a pile of lovely poos. I think your bunnies are very blessed to have such a caring owner as you BC, you are doing a great job there, big hugs for you xxxxx

Oh thank goodness, that's great news. Really hope he carries on with the nomming, and you soon have a pile of lovely poos. I think your bunnies are very blessed to have such a caring owner as you BC, you are doing a great job there, big hugs for you xxxxx

:love: I am blushing, thank you xx

just trying to do my best for them - I suppose I consider it "repayment" :D they keep me anchored "here" and give me a reason to continue on each day, they force me out of bed in the morning to care for them. they're also good listeners and both will constantly check in on me if I am crying or they sense my mood is low. Luna will also allow a good cuddle even though she's not too thrilled, I like to think she realises it helps so she bares it. if it wasn't for Snoopy all those years ago I'm not sure where I'd be now! he really kept me going in those more difficult times.

u/d before I go to cook dinner: he's fairly active, a little subdued so he's not 100% yet but better from a floppy bunny earlier today. his poops are still very small and dark, but he's drinking well (have put probiotic in his water) and looks a lot brighter in himself! he's eating, although not as much as usual, but I'll take whatever he gives me :) he's mostly picking out readigrass but its all fibre so I'm not too bothered. doesn't want his pellets though!! :? I'm still tentatively watching him and checking in but I've stopped the critical care since we do have output.

I've put them back together now as I think it was both stressing them out more, and I had had a poop or three and seen him eat, so good enough for me! although I can visibly see he is drinking & eating. and I can tell that its his poops as they look like gravel :lol:

not out of the woods, but def moving forward one paw at a time x

thank you all for your support, it really means a lot to me :love: I think if it wasn't for you guys I would have had a nervous breakdown this morning!

How's Orion doing today ? Hope things have improved, and hope you have had plenty of sleep BC xxx

I hope Orion has had a better night and that poops are more frequent. You are doing a fantastic job with his care and you have been totally selfless with looking after him and putting his needs first. It is hard but rewarding work. Sending vibes for Orion and a hug for you for all you are doing. x

I could cry - he's back in stasis again :cry:

I don't know what to do, my vet doesn't do direct claims and I doubt I have enough on me as the next step is an x-ray under a GA to look at his teeth and a dental as its likely that. either way it would probably be too late to do anything today, so they'd book him in tomorrow.

I want to give up. I could honestly and really do without this :cry:

I could cry - he's back in stasis again :cry:

I don't know what to do, my vet doesn't do direct claims and I doubt I have enough on me as the next step is an x-ray under a GA to look at his teeth and a dental as its likely that. either way it would probably be too late to do anything today, so they'd book him in tomorrow.

I want to give up. I could honestly and really do without this :cry:
Oh Codie :( I'm so sorry :(

If I was you I'd get an appointment for today and talk to the vet, ask them if there's anyway they can do a direct claim etc, they may actually do it for you :) as a rule most places don't but I've known places to if necessary. Worth asking atleast!

I will do x

he’s giving mixed signals, he keeps lying down but keeps shaking the pen. he won’t take any treats so I’m really sure it’s his teeth. I can’t hear any tummy gurgles.

they’ve said to get him there as soon as so I will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh Codie :( I'm so sorry :(

If I was you I'd get an appointment for today and talk to the vet, ask them if there's anyway they can do a direct claim etc, they may actually do it for you :) as a rule most places don't but I've known places to if necessary. Worth asking atleast!

This is what I would suggest too.

I’m so sorry, sending lots of vibes for him and hugs to you xx

just been to the vets & back.

defo his teeth :( he's booked in for an appointment on monday to have that done. she can see an ulcer and some spurs on his bottom teeth.

the good thing is is that I caught it really really early, he still had some poops in his tummy and it was still nice and doughy, he was in the literal "just in stasis" stages which is good. he should bounce back quickly.

its just concerning as he's so young for his teeth to be this way, esp as I told the vet his diet & she said it sounds perfect. so we need to monitor, if its something more regular then we might need to take x-rays to see what is happening is his mouth, for now we're just gonna treat it and see how it goes.

because its such a big claim they've said they'll do it direct which is nice, including today, so no money troubles there. I already paid out last week, so if they do it as one big claim I've already paid my excess. if not I should get money in soon so it shouldn't be a problem.

he's on gut stimulants and metacam until the operation.

he's had an injection of metacam, emeprid and water today to cover it, just incase he's dehydrated although since we caught it so early its unlikey. but better to be safe than sorry.

my poor little onion :(

he's currently tucking into some hay and had a fenugreek crunchie, so this one is a surprisingly quick mend compared to last time, but I think its because its so early.

I'm not going to syringe feed yet as he is currently eating and I don't want to cause him more stress than he's already had, so I'm just going to observe quietly and keep an eye on him.

Luna is tucking into the new hay and kept stealing the attention of everybody, so she's rather unfazed by it all :lol:

defo his teeth :( he's booked in for an appointment on monday to have that done. she can see an ulcer and some spurs on his bottom teeth.

the good thing is is that I caught it really really early, he still had some poops in his tummy and it was still nice and doughy, he was in the literal "just in stasis" stages which is good. he should bounce back quickly.

its just concerning as he's so young for his teeth to be this way, esp as I told the vet his diet & she said it sounds perfect. so we need to monitor, if its something more regular then we might need to take x-rays to see what is happening is his mouth, for now we're just gonna treat it and see how it goes.

because its such a big claim they've said they'll do it direct which is nice, including today, so no money troubles there. I already paid out last week, so if they do it as one big claim I've already paid my excess. if not I should get money in soon so it shouldn't be a problem.

he's had an injection of metacam, emeprid and water today to cover it, just incase he's dehydrated although since we caught it so early its unlikey. but better to be safe than sorry.

he's currently tucking into some hay and had a fenugreek crunchie, so this one is a surprisingly quick mend compared to last time, but I think its because its so early.

I'm not going to syringe feed yet as he is currently eating and I don't want to cause him more stress than he's already had, so I'm just going to observe quietly and keep an eye on him.

Luna is tucking into the new hay and kept stealing the attention of everybody, so she's rather unfazed by it all :lol:

Oh dear poor Orion. It is very unusual for Rexes to have Dental problems and as you feed him a good hay based diet it seems really unfair that he has developed spurs. I hope he will remain as comfortable as possible and that his GI tract will keep ticking over OK until he can have his Dental. I suppose there was no chance that the Dental could be done this week ??

Oh dear poor Orion. It is very unusual for Rexes to have Dental problems and as you feed him a good hay based diet it seems really unfair that he has developed spurs. I hope he will remain as comfortable as possible and that his GI tract will keep ticking over OK until he can have his Dental. I suppose there was no chance that the Dental could be done this week ??

yea I don't think there is much "more" I could do for his diet :( he has a better diet than me tbh!! fresh hay constantly, 1 table spoon of pellet a day (and fed separately from Luna so he can't get more of his share :lol:), and a small ball of fresh veggies (usually herbs) once a day, usually the size of his head, although I do feed that together. I could cut the herbs out ofc but I don't know what more it would really do :? they get the odd treat and I do mean odd, usually after nail clips or something.

I really think I got the short end of the stick with rex's! Luna has been my most "healthy" one dental wise and considering her background its extremely surprising. Snoopy was PTS due to his dental issues, I admit I could have done more looking back but I know more than I do now. he had a very long and hard battle with it before it was just kinder to let him go :? his issues started around the same time as Orion (1 year old) so I'm really hoping its just a "freak" incident. we've had building work going on next door so I'm hoping its just a reaction to that (Luna's certainly seemed to be).

unfortunately no space this week as they're totally booked :( they're not open Sundays and Saturday is a half day. Monday was the earliest. but they did say they don't have many concerns as he's in good hands with me.

he's still tucking into hay, not seen any poops yet from him, but eating is a good sign x

yea I don't think there is much "more" I could do for his diet :( he has a better diet than me tbh!! fresh hay constantly, 1 table spoon of pellet a day (and fed separately from Luna so he can't get more of his share :lol:), and a small ball of fresh veggies (usually herbs) once a day, usually the size of his head, although I do feed that together. I could cut the herbs out ofc but I don't know what more it would really do :? they get the odd treat and I do mean odd, usually after nail clips or something.

I really think I got the short end of the stick with rex's! Luna has been my most "healthy" one dental wise and considering her background its extremely surprising. Snoopy was PTS due to his dental issues, I admit I could have done more looking back but I know more than I do now. he had a very long and hard battle with it before it was just kinder to let him go :? his issues started around the same time as Orion (1 year old) so I'm really hoping its just a "freak" incident. we've had building work going on next door so I'm hoping its just a reaction to that (Luna's certainly seemed to be).

unfortunately no space this week as they're totally booked :( they're not open Sundays and Saturday is a half day. Monday was the earliest. but they did say they don't have many concerns as he's in good hands with me.

he's still tucking into hay, not seen any poops yet from him, but eating is a good sign x

Sending poo vibes ! x

I'm glad to hear you have caught it early and you haven't got the money worries to contend with as well.

I hope he manages to keep going until he dental. What bad luck he's getting spurs so young!

Sending lots of vibes for Orion. Glad that you go him to the vets and hope that he is OK until his dental on Monday.

Back