• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis ...Again!

Bramranzel

Warren Scout
Alice looked a little uncomfortable last night, she had a bout of stasis at the end of Sept and recovered from that. I gave her some Metacam and she nibbled a bit of hay last night. This morning she was hopping around and hiding in places she doesn't normally go and sit in. I gave her some more Metacam and some Ranitidine and rang the vets. They have checked her over and could not hear any noise from her gut, her blood glucose was 7.8 which they said anything over 8 is signs of stasis. She's having a huge moult at the moment but often nibbles things she shouldn't. I'm worried sick that she has a blockage, they've kept her in the hospital to give fluids and more meds. They are ringing me later for an update, she hasn't pooed since last night. Just feeling so helpless and worried :cry:

Oh no poor Alice :( Sending loads of vibes for her and I hope you get a positive update later.

Alice looked a little uncomfortable last night, she had a bout of stasis at the end of Sept and recovered from that. I gave her some Metacam and she nibbled a bit of hay last night. This morning she was hopping around and hiding in places she doesn't normally go and sit in. I gave her some more Metacam and some Ranitidine and rang the vets. They have checked her over and could not hear any noise from her gut, her blood glucose was 7.8 which they said anything over 8 is signs of stasis. She's having a huge moult at the moment but often nibbles things she shouldn't. I'm worried sick that she has a blockage, they've kept her in the hospital to give fluids and more meds. They are ringing me later for an update, she hasn't pooed since last night. Just feeling so helpless and worried :cry:

oh no I'm so sorry!

Many vibes for Alice and hugs for you. I hope she gets better over the course of the next few hours and begins to eat and poop x

Hopefully with medication and supportive treatment Alice will soon be on the mend. A blood glucose of 7.8 is not a huge worry. 4-8 is normal and 8-14 can be due to stress, according to Frances Harcourt Brown. Loud alarm bells ring if blood glucose is 15 or above.

Update on Alice, she still hasn't eaten or pooed. They've given her meds and fluids and the vet says she has spurs on her teeth. They want to operate on her tomorrow which I'm not too keen on. I've never had a bun with teeth issues before. I'm not a vet, but can't help but worry that putting a bun under GA when in stasis is a good idea. I'd rather get her well first and book her in soon for the op. Anyone here been in the same situation? Thank you all very much for the vibes and well wishes, they are going to ring me in the morning after the vet has seen Alice and a decision will be made then.

Sorry to hear Alice is not eating. I agree with you that a dental might not be in her best interest, unless they can see sores in her mouth, caused by the spurs. Let's see what others say. Sending vibes she starts eating and returns to normal.

Update on Alice, she still hasn't eaten or pooed. They've given her meds and fluids and the vet says she has spurs on her teeth. They want to operate on her tomorrow which I'm not too keen on. I've never had a bun with teeth issues before. I'm not a vet, but can't help but worry that putting a bun under GA when in stasis is a good idea. I'd rather get her well first and book her in soon for the op. Anyone here been in the same situation? Thank you all very much for the vibes and well wishes, they are going to ring me in the morning after the vet has seen Alice and a decision will be made then.

If she won't eat on her own because of tooth/mouth pain, then the only alternative would be to syringe feed her and make sure she's a good weight before the anaesthetic. I don't have this problem, as a couple of vets I know do 'conscious dentals' which means no GA and no worries about making matters worse. I know a lot of people are very 'anti' them, even when they can be life saving for a rabbit.

I hope your vet can accurately assess the situation and advise you on how confident they are that she will get through the op.

Good luck xx

Sorry to hear that Alice isn't well.
I wouldn't be happy with the idea of a GA in these circumstances either to be honest. A similar thing happened with my bun a few months ago and I decided to leave it a few days before doing the dental. Do you trust your vet? X

I think I'll just have to wait and see what they say in the morning about the op. My gut instinct is telling me wait a few days. She's normally a happy healthy bun who eats hay well and tries to steal nuggets when she can. I don't know the vet at all as we only saw a nurse at this practice after seeing a vet in the main practice first. Thanks again for the advice and kind words. I'll hopefully have better news tomorrow, if her guts are moving and she's eating and pooing, fingers crossed.

I think I'll just have to wait and see what they say in the morning about the op. My gut instinct is telling me wait a few days. She's normally a happy healthy bun who eats hay well and tries to steal nuggets when she can. I don't know the vet at all as we only saw a nurse at this practice after seeing a vet in the main practice first. Thanks again for the advice and kind words. I'll hopefully have better news tomorrow, if her guts are moving and she's eating and pooing, fingers crossed.

For me, I would always go with my gut instinct. My first gut feeling. It's never wrong xx

I hope that Alice has improved a lot overnight. If you do not feel comfortable about her having a Dental then I'd say so to the Vet. Maybe today there will be a Vet on duty whom you do know and have some confidence in.

She's made it through the night, and had two small poos. They still want to go ahead with the dental today, I told the nurse I wanted her better before they go ahead. She's going to talk to the vet and they are ringing me back. I would feel better if they kept her in today and tonight and went ahead with the op tomorrow, but that is my gut feeling. Obviously if the vet thinks it's essential to operate today then I will go what the vet says. It's just the worry of GA with buns and the added stasis could lead to a bad outcome, I know there is always a risk. My stomach is in knots now waiting for them to ring back. Thanks again for the support, I don't know what I'd do without this forum x

I am so sorry that you have this additonal worry about Alice. I, too, would be very nervous about giving a GA to a rabbit who is in Stasis and so I can completely understand how you are feeling. On the other hand though, I do trust my vet and so if she said it was absolutely necessary, then I would let them go ahead, albeit reluctantly. It must be a difficult decision for a vet, even with the benefit of experience and examination of Alice.

I hope you get to speak to the vet soon and agree on a way forward.

Sending Alice loads and loads of vibes and also lots of hugs for you.

She's made it through the night, and had two small poos. They still want to go ahead with the dental today, I told the nurse I wanted her better before they go ahead. She's going to talk to the vet and they are ringing me back. I would feel better if they kept her in today and tonight and went ahead with the op tomorrow, but that is my gut feeling. Obviously if the vet thinks it's essential to operate today then I will go what the vet says. It's just the worry of GA with buns and the added stasis could lead to a bad outcome, I know there is always a risk. My stomach is in knots now waiting for them to ring back. Thanks again for the support, I don't know what I'd do without this forum x

I hope the Vet gets back to you soon. It sounds as though Alice has improved a little overnight x

I am so sorry that you have this additonal worry about Alice. I, too, would be very nervous about giving a GA to a rabbit who is in Stasis and so I can completely understand how you are feeling. On the other hand though, I do trust my vet and so if she said it was absolutely necessary, then I would let them go ahead, albeit reluctantly. It must be a difficult decision for a vet, even with the benefit of experience and examination of Alice.

I hope you get to speak to the vet soon and agree on a way forward.

Sending Alice loads and loads of vibes and also lots of hugs for you.

He's just rang me and explained that he feels it necessary to operate today as she is stable. He feels if she can't eat properly she could go downhill very fast and it's better to do the dental asap. I've agreed to it, they will be putting her under this morning. Now it's the long wait for that phone call back, thank you for the vibes and hugs.

Just to say that I'd be happy to go along with this. I hope you get some positive news soon.

I'm glad she's been OK overnight and hope that things work out today for her.

Loads of vibes xx

He's just rang me and explained that he feels it necessary to operate today as she is stable. He feels if she can't eat properly she could go downhill very fast and it's better to do the dental asap. I've agreed to it, they will be putting her under this morning. Now it's the long wait for that phone call back, thank you for the vibes and hugs.

Lots more vibes on their way xx

Just seen your thread & adding many vibes. I hope you get that reassurring phone call soon - waiting is awful xx

Back