• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Starting to introduce veg!! Help!!!

I was thinking that it may be the SS because I have cut everything else out and the tippex wee is still present. They love their SS. I don't know if they would take to a new food easily. What brands of pellets have low calcium but high in fibre?

I have a small packet of Bunny Basics Oxbow T which was free from my vet when we first got the girls. I think I'll try changing over the food, see if they like it. It says it's good for adult rabbits. Is it going to be ok for 6 month olds?

Did you ever cut out parsley? I know you said it was the one thing they ate - it's also extremely high in calcium.

Yeah, I cut out all veg except grass about a month ago. I gave them 2-3 pellets of Bunny Basics T this morning. It's obvious that they like SS better, but they did eat it. Molly liked them better than Milly (which makes a change!!).

you still need to do a changeover... if you change thier food suddenly, you are putting them at risk of illness x

their diet does sound fine as it is - a handful of ss twice a day shouldn't be a problem, so I'm wondering if they drink enough? How much do they get through?

my two are on ss and don't get this problem... do they get treats? such as hay cubes or anything like that?
xxx

They go through about two bottles of water a day, Rabbit sized Classic bottles. They are good hay eaters. I was wondering how much calicum they are supposed to excrete? They make about one teaspoon of white wee in one night. They get this:

https://www.thehayexperts.com/product_info.php?cPath=4_37&products_id=260

sprinkled on their hay every day. I know it's quite high in calcium, and when the bag finishes, I won't buy anymore, but it's only a pinch a day. Do you think I should get the urine tested after Christmas, just to make sure everything is working? They did tests when they went for their spay (but don't know which ones, probably blood tests, that sort of thing), so there can't be anything too obvious that would come out on tests. Do you have any pictures of normal weeing patches of calcium?

Here are pictures of the calcium when it was at it's worst. This was when they were on vegetables.
7ymz4mg.jpg

^Over about two months, it had built up
712yrdc.jpg

^When they had access to the paper for about 15 hours, ie, a whole night.

Last edited:
Gosh, ive never seen it that bad before, if youve cut all out and are still getting it, id take them to vets...

That looks like bird poo... that can't be nice... does it have a smell too? I mean stronger than a normal rab wee x

No, it doesn't smell any worse. I'll try and get some pictures of the situation now. It's not as bad as that, but it's not much better either.

looking at that link I think it'll be the dried dandelions - I'd chuck them if I were you as there's not many things higher in calcium than even fresh dandelions - dried ones obviously have even more concentration of it as the water's been taken out.

looking at that link I think it'll be the dried dandelions - I'd chuck them if I were you as there's not many things higher in calcium than even fresh dandelions - dried ones obviously have even more concentration of it as the water's been taken out.

totally agree, they aren't meant to be fed everyday...

xxx

Back