• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stanley died due to fight at rabbit boarding

Oh my gosh, I am so, so sorry this has happened. My heart goes out to you.

No doubt about it, this is negligence, pure and simple. As JessBun pointed out, refusing an animal medical treatment is in violation of the Animal Welfare Act, 2006, as is a failure to meet the animal's needs to be housed apart when necessary, and also the failure to provide appropriate, secure accommodation.
Here is the document in its entirety for your reference:-

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/45/contents

Any business of this nature should be well aware of all this, and I would class ignorance as negligence in itself.

I too am dubious about the explanations you've been given. It sounds an awful lot like they're trying to minimise the situation and cover their bums. They sound utterly careless. I'm mad as hell on your behalf.

I have nothing but sympathy for you and your poor Stanley. Wishing you strength during this difficult time and sending virtual hugs xxxxx

Aw man, I'm so sorry :( I've only used a boarder once and it was very clearly explained to me (as I was shown around) how difficult it was for the rabbits to get the each other, how they would go straight to the local vets if anything untoward happened, etc. I do agree with many other posters that it doesn't seem right and you need to take it further. I know the boarder I use is registered with the local council (she also does dogs and home visits), but I've no idea how important that is, of even if it carries any standing.

Best wishes :(

What an awful thing to have to go through, I am so sorry to hear that :( I don't have experience with boarding, but I do board Guinea pigs myself and sometimes I've noticed issues before the owners and had to rush off to the vets and specially care for them around the clock. Definitely do whatever you can to get to the bottom of this, they need to be reported. Whether or not they are nice people it shouldn't go on and more bunnies and owners can't go through this! You will have all the support from this forum. Sweet dreams little Stanley x

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

This is awful :cry: how upsetting for you, I am so very sorry.

The boarding place you took Stanley to sounds like they neglected him completely and didn't look after him at all. As a boarding place they should have a lot of rabbit knowledge and should have known to take him to the vets straight away after an injury.

Although this is very upsetting, I would urge you to take it further, they shouldn't be allowed to get away with neglecting bunnies and it could happen to others too :( Personally I wouldn't be able to let it rest until I'd tried to do something about it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. RIP Stanley xx

I'm so sorry that you lost Stanley and in such a traumatic way. I would expect to be informed by a boarding place if there was any incident, or my nominated person to be informed and certainly would expect them to take the rabbit to the vets if there was any sign of injury or illness. As others have said I wouldn't be happy if rabbits could reach each other through the bars/mesh of runs for cross infection and also aggression reasons. Sending you hugs xxx

My heart is actually breaking for you, i genuinely cried reading your post. I cannot imagine the pain you are feeling right now. I am shocked that this has been allowed to happen in the hands of people who you should be able to trust as experts. Is there anyone you can inform that can inspect the bunny boarding? I don't know how these things work but surely that can't be the end of it!
I'm so sorry that you're going through this! My thoughts are with you xx

My heart is actually breaking for you, i genuinely cried reading your post. I cannot imagine the pain you are feeling right now. I am shocked that this has been allowed to happen in the hands of people who you should be able to trust as experts. Is there anyone you can inform that can inspect the bunny boarding? I don't know how these things work but surely that can't be the end of it!
I'm so sorry that you're going through this! My thoughts are with you xx
The council would licence the boarding place. (Didn't think of this sooner) Maybe contact them?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I'm so sorry this has happened, it has to be one of the most tragic things I have read on here.

You entrusted your rabbits care to these people and they have let you down badly. They were most definitely negligent in not getting him checked over by a vet, no matter how 'minor' they thought it was. As jessbun said, the fact that they sent you a photo that he wasn't even in seems odd.

I don't think you should let this go either. But you have to do what you feel is best and are able to cope with x

This is dreadful. Why on earth did the boarding place 1) keep him within range of other bunnies if he was clearly unhappy and 2) not take him immediately to the vet after the fight (at their expense too, entirely their fault it happened so you shouldn't have to pay). I am absolutely appalled and would definitely take this further. Totally negligent on the boarders part.

I'm so sorry to read this, and so heartbreaking for you both.

It sounds like their pens were joined together maybe, so that 'getting out' meant 'getting in' at the same time?

It will be a tough letter to write, but I would outline the steps that should have been taken, and how you expect them to prevent this happening in future. Maybe suggest they use solid wooden or plastic boards to reinforce the pens at ground level to prevent fur pulling and direct line of sight, and slabs to prevent digging.

I wonder if there is anywhere you can leave a review or comment (e.g. yell.com) that would make others think twice before using them, and also tell the other boarder who recommended them to you, so they know not to send more business their way (unless they make the necessary changes).

I know it won't make things easier for you, but I hope it will bring some peace if you know you're helping save other bunnies from harm.

This is awful :(
I'm so sorry that you lost Stanley in this way.
I'm trying to think what I would do in your situation and I really don't think that I could let this go. They should have taken him to the vets, even if it was just to cover their own backs! Mistakes can happen but this wasn't just one mistake. It's a long list of mistakes that have led to the loss of your lovely boy. They were most definitely negligent but you have to do whatever you feel comfortable with.
I'm so sorry for you loss. Sweet dreams Stanley xxxx

I'm so sorry for your loss, what a terrible way to lose your rabbit. Honestly, I would sue, not telling you immediately is unforgivable. I too am dubious about the explanation you were given. I suggest you write down a full account of everything that happened while your memory is still fresh (dates, times, witnesses etc), you may need it.

Binky free, Stanley. In time, I hope you'll feel better about him being so happy before the end.

As a boarding place ourselves and after reading this my Husband and I are absolutely disgusted at how your rabbit was treated and also heartbroken for you :cry:

Firstly no rabbit's should be able to pull fur or get to another holiday rabbit when in a run, pen or anything and that rabbit should have been taken to the vet's straight away, one of our own rabbits turned round and took a chunk out of her companion who kept humping her and my Husband rushed him to the vets straight away and he was put on antibiotics and metacam which is what Stan should have been on. The fact that they didn't bother to take him to a vet's is just sheer neglect.

Makes me wonder if they have any knowledge on rabbits at all , obviously not!!!!.

Did you sign a disclaimer at all ? our customers have to sign a disclaimer which gives us the right to take their rabbit's to the vet's if we feel they need vet treatment, or are sick and the customer has to pay any costs. All boarding places should have disclaimers for customers to sign.

If it was me I would consider suing them as this should not have happened.

I wish you were nearer as if you got any more rabbits and needed to board them I would give you a weeks free boarding as I am so very sad for you , get them sued !!!

xxxxxxx ((( hugs )))

Last edited:
this is one of the saddest things i have read on here. it's heartbreaking to read so cannot imagine how you must feel :(

i'm so very sorry for your loss. i would take this further x

Back