• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spring Grass- a Reminder !!

Oooo thanks for this post. I give all my wabs 2 huge handfuls of grass a day and just did the same for my new girls too... hope they'll be ok. Will keep a close eye on them and stick to whats on their list. Thanks again. Great info. :wave:

Just out of curiosity Jane, but is it just spring grass or is it all year round?

I don't have a garden just a good size yard. I bought some grass seed, soil and a litter tray last year and grew my own and Mo and Bo loved it. Obviously it died during the winter but I've started growing some more for them and hopefully touch wood the weather will improve soon for the little monsters to have the run of the yard again!!! :lol:

This is news to me so as much info would be brilliant. :thumb:

In general adult Rabbits should be able to cope with eating grass as long as they do so all year round. In the Spring the grass is a lot richer and this should not cause problems to a year round grass grazer. But Rabbits who dont have daily access to grass, baby Rabbits and any Rabbit with a known 'sensitive tummy' should be monitored very closely with regards to how much spring grass they eat. As biscuitmatt says, hand picking a small amount of grass each day to feed is a good way of introducing it into the diet of Rabbits not able to graze all year round.

I have only seen one case of bloat as a result of eating too much rich grass and it was absolutely awful. It was many years ago and thankfully the bunny survived. But I am now probably over cautious about grass grazing at this time of year.

Thanks I let Lucky out for a bit yesterday but there isn't long pieces of grass to consume anyway, so I hope he's fine.

A useful reminder. When I collected fiver after his dental the vets had four buns as inpatients who are very ill with tummy probs. when I mentioned to her it was probably the grass as very rich this time of year the nurse thanked me for the useful tip as she had never been told that before.

My two should be ok then as they go out on grass every day, panicked at first then when I saw Janes post I was relieved:oops:

I've been hand picking grass for Lola near enough everyday since she came to me to get her little tum used to it so I don't worry about her grazing through the summer when she can go outside :D

also many of us will probrably know already but not to feed the lawn with the stuff they sell for spring lawn feed and weed killer, as bunnies will then eat the grass you have just tipped this onto :wave:

My two outdoor buns get grass daily all year round so they have been out as normal but Mr B will start having a handful of grass added to his diet from now to get used to it again then will g out for a run on the garden in a few more weeks.

Wish I'd read this earlier!! I think Bramble has had a tummy ache tonightm possibly due to the small amount of grass I gave him this afternoon. Bungee is a bit more used to it, as she goes in her run on the grass, but Bramble hasn't had any for ages.:(

Last edited:
Probably a stupid question but I've always treated dandelions the same way, waited for the richness of spring to pass. Am I being stupid or do dandelions not get rich at spring as well? :oops::lol:

Probably a stupid question but I've always treated dandelions the same way, waited for the richness of spring to pass. Am I being stupid or do dandelions not get rich at spring as well? :oops::lol:

I don't know for sure, but I have avoided giving these to Spenser since a particularly fine juicy dandelion leaf made him ill a couple of years ago. He does get dried dandelion though.

Thanks to Jane for this warning. I hadnt thought about it either.

The weather is looking soooo brilliant this week and i have such a huge garden that it seems such a waste not to let the buns enjoy the outdoors too (they are indoor buns with their own room). I do have an enclosure that I was thinking of letting them enjoy in this week. But now I am worried:

I dont just have grass growing but tons of other wild flowers and what nots... i dont really know what they are. Some are marguerites (small white flowers that I know are edible), some are purple, and i have some yellow wild primaveras (not edible) plus others. Will the buns know instinctively not to eat the "bad" plants? If there's any risk they might be poisoned then i wont put them out but its just such a waste...

Thanks for any advice! :wave:

Fantastic advice. Even bunnies who are used to grass all year round need to watch their intake. 5 of my buns are outdoors 24/7 and eat the grass all year round but I have noticed the occasional squidgy poo if they do get too much. Its nice and sweet and very rich just now.

Great thread Jane!

What some of us don't realise is that even if bunnies are used to grass, spring grass can still cause a problem - as it did with Rupert (who was a stray so has had plenty of grass before) last year! I limit his grass now!

I don't know for sure, but I have avoided giving these to Spenser since a particularly fine juicy dandelion leaf made him ill a couple of years ago. He does get dried dandelion though.

Thanks Susie :)

I think I'll stick to what I normally do. Wait til June time before picking the dandelions :)

Ooh, I didn't know about that :shock: Luckily Sonic's not a big grazer, when he's out he likes to run and not sit still for over 30 seconds :roll:

Thanks to Jane for this warning. I hadnt thought about it either.

The weather is looking soooo brilliant this week and i have such a huge garden that it seems such a waste not to let the buns enjoy the outdoors too (they are indoor buns with their own room). I do have an enclosure that I was thinking of letting them enjoy in this week. But now I am worried:

I dont just have grass growing but tons of other wild flowers and what nots... i dont really know what they are. Some are marguerites (small white flowers that I know are edible), some are purple, and i have some yellow wild primaveras (not edible) plus others. Will the buns know instinctively not to eat the "bad" plants? If there's any risk they might be poisoned then i wont put them out but its just such a waste...

Thanks for any advice! :wave:

In my experience bunnies cant always be relied on to not eat the "bad" plants.:roll:I know its a pain but its a good idea to identify and check everything theyll be in contact with!

Back