• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spenser not eating - now eating a bit, post 26

Just on briefly to answer a couple of questions:

- Spenser's teeth were not examined while he was under GA for neuter. His vets don't do neuter/dental combis, he just had xrays. I'm sure this came up on at least one earlier thread.

- He is not on pain relief at present, but I will try to administer some orally tonight. His appointment today was cancelled on vet advice, as he had just eaten about half a dozen SS pellets, some grass and fresh dandelions and two fine green beans. As it looked like he was beginning to eat for himself we felt the stress of the vet trip could do more harm than good.

For obvious reasons I won't be posting much more, but I am grateful to those who have tried to help Spenser and I.

Edited as it would seem that I cannot do right for doing wrong + I am judged for what I type here when people are not privvy to all of the facts/background etc. I made the mistake of caring, of getting involved and be bothered - and then showing it. That's me I'm afraid - all or nothing.

I am truely very sorry Susie. I thought we were friends and that we could both be honest with each other. I tried very hard and I am truly heart broken.

I think it best that I disappear for a while. Please do not stop posting on here though. You are genuinely well liked and thought of and RU wouldn't be the same without you.

I will continue to think of you & Spenser and wish only for you both to be happy & well xx

Last edited:
Oh dear :( I hope you're not upset by what people have said Susie, they are only trying to help you and Spenser I'm sure. I don't have any advice on the Spenser teeth situation sorry as I really don't know but I hope he is ok and I really hope you don't begin posting less, you've been on here a very long time and many people know you/you give good advice and I know I for one love hearing about little Spenser and chatting to you on here :) xxxx

Please be careful about the tone of posts. Offering experience, advice and options is great, but it is up to the OP and their vet to decide what action they take. You cannot force people to do what you think is best.

I'm sorry. I won't waste any more of anyone's time. I do not want Spenser to be ill, of course I don't. Please remember you are all hundreds of miles away and don't really know my circumstances.

I'm sorry. I won't waste any more of anyone's time. I do not want Spenser to be ill, of course I don't. Please remember you are all hundreds of miles away and don't really know my circumstances.

Its not a case of wasting people's time, and I don't think that's what Fluffers was saying.

We (and I rarely speak collectively, but I'm going to because I'm so sure) know how much you love Spenser. That's never been in doubt at all.

I agree with you, and have made it clear on this thread that the only person who knows what is going on is you, and that's why the advice is conflicting and so wide. But on the other side of the coin, people can only give advice on what you say, which is what they (we?) are trying to do. So it's down to you to be careful with giving as much info as possible, and being careful how you word things. Communication is so difficult, in all angles, on the internet though, because you only have text, no body language, tone, volume, etc, so you only catch some of the communication.

Its not comfortable hearing some of the things you've heard today. Try not to have any knee jerk reactions. Come back and read the replies again (the whole thread) in a couple of days and it may sit differently with you (I know things like that do with me).

Essentially, what you have to remember, whether you feel it right now or not, is that people on here just care about Spenser (and obviously you). We're all united in that respect :)

Last edited:
I hope you are ok Susie please don't stop posting.

It is very easy to accidentally omit information when you are upset and stressed, I have done it countless times on here and my vet often has to ask me to clarify things I've emailed or phoned about or to repeat myself.

Only Susie and her vet have seen Spenser, I know many decisions made by my vet have been questioned on here, but he has saved my rabbits' lives. I trust him with my life - my rabbits are my life - and I'm sure Susie feels the same about her vet with Spenser.

I know it can be frustrating trying to give advice on here as important details are always left out

Please be careful about the tone of posts. Offering experience, advice and options is great, but it is up to the OP and their vet to decide what action they take. You cannot force people to do what you think is best.

:thumb:

I hope that you are OK Susie. I may be totally wrong but I suspect that Spensers problems are more psychological than physiological.

It would be good if he could become a permanent Housebun. I think he would benefit from remaining in one familiar environment rather than chopping and changing from indoors to out.

A strict daily routine re times of feeds, times of litter tray cleans etc will help too.

Whilst it is possible that he has some tooth issues going on and it would have been helpful if the Vet had actually taken a look when he was neutered I am not totally convinced that his periods of picky feeding are all to do with his teeth.

It is easy to overlook the fact that not all of us have access to a Rabbit savvy Vet or even the luxury of being able to shop around to find one.

Hoping to hear from you and Spenser soon :)

I hope that you are OK Susie. I may be totally wrong but I suspect that Spensers problems are more psychological than physiological.

It would be good if he could become a permanent Housebun. I think he would benefit from remaining in one familiar environment rather than chopping and changing from indoors to out.

A strict daily routine re times of feeds, times of litter tray cleans etc will help too.

Whilst it is possible that he has some tooth issues going on and it would have been helpful if the Vet had actually taken a look when he was neutered I am not totally convinced that his periods of picky feeding are all to do with his teeth.

It is easy to overlook the fact that not all of us have access to a Rabbit savvy Vet or even the luxury of being able to shop around to find one.

I hope you are ok Susan.

Whilst it is possible that he has some tooth issues going on and it would have been helpful if the Vet had actually taken a look when he was neutered I am not totally convinced that his periods of picky feeding are all to do with his teeth.It is easy to overlook the fact that not all of us have access to a Rabbit savvy Vet or even the luxury of being able to shop around to find one.

:thumb: Totally agree

Any decent vet won't do a full dental (examining teeth is fine) whilst doing another op on the same animal after as the bacteria from dental work can cause infection in any surgical wounds exposed to the bacteria in the theatre.

All the vets I have ever worked with do Dentals LAST and not at the same time as any other procedure where any incisions are made.

So maybe this is what was meant when she said the vet doesn't do dentals and neuters at the same time.
Did Susie not say that the vet took x-rays of his teeth to look for any underlying cause that may not show up with an examination?

Hope that the cause of Spensers issues are resolved very soon.

Any decent vet won't do a full dental (examining teeth is fine) whilst doing another op on the same animal after as the bacteria from dental work can cause infection in any surgical wounds exposed to the bacteria in the theatre.

All the vets I have ever worked with do Dentals LAST and not at the same time as any other procedure where any incisions are made.

So maybe this is what was meant when she said the vet doesn't do dentals and neuters at the same time.
Did Susie not say that the vet took x-rays of his teeth to look for any underlying cause that may not show up with an examination?

Hope that the cause of Spensers issues are resolved very soon.

My vet says this as well, we had Grace's teeth done separately from her spay :wave: I think it is what Susie means

We all want to thank you for all of your good wishes you sent regarding Ambrose, Estelle and Frankie.

Everybody and every bunny is different.

Just wanted to say how much I have appreciated your support during my time on the forum.

Take care of yourselves.

We don't want you to disappear, quite the opposite.

Keep in touch with us..............please.

Nighty, night, sleep tight. x

Well said :wave:

Funnily enough Susie, you did mention he perked up when he came indoors so there could definitely be something in this.

((hugs)) xxx

Edited my previous post.

I too have encouraged Susie to bring Spenser indoors & advised against swapping & changing too often.

Susie: I sincerely hope with all my heart that you and Spenser are able to be together for a very long time and that very soon you find a "place" where you can both settle & be at ease :)

Back