• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Peeing & Resting with a bit of injections?

kazz

Alpha Buck
About Marleybum again! Sorry it's all in one thread, I thought it'd a) save on bandwidth and b) I never know whether I'm coming or going lately!

Lately Marley has been peeing on the straw and hay used for bedding. I'm not sure if this is a spring thing? His litter tray gets changed everyday and its only started happening since I put the old hay he hasn't eaten on top of the back to nature I use for his litter. He peed on the pillow we use for him indoors too. And he's started getting sloppy with his pooing too, he used to get every bit in the tray apart from the stray ones that got kicked out as he left it but now they're on the fleece covering the pillow, on the chair etc. In the hutch it's even next to the litter tray in some instances where there isn't hay or straw :/ Is there any way I can get him back to the cleanliness level he was at?

Also, when he's resting he's tucking his front feet under him and staying perched as a 'ball'. When he first arrived he'd get sprawled out and kick his legs behind him, totally relaxed. Am I worrying about nothing or should I be concerned? I don't know if he sprawls with the OH but he hasn't for a while whilst I've been around him. He doesn't seem in pain and is lively enough however I have noticed he's been drinking more but he has increased in the amount of hay he eats and has been having apple sticks so I thought maybe if I'm worrying too much that might be the reason he's drinking quite a lot now?

Last point, he's had a baytril course for a week for a wet nose and sneezing, they told me to go back if it persisted and they'd try a course of injections administered every few days for an amount of time (not sure of this amount of time as the mother in law took him while we were working). Does this sound like a likely course to combat a respiratory problem?

Sorry for the mixed thread, I can't seem to stop worrying about everything.

His loss of litter tray training and change in how he rests could be due to pain in his back/hips-ie arthritis

Or it could be an indication of a problem effecting his central nervous system

Has his respiratory tract infection cleared up ?

I would take him back to the Vet again as to establish if there is a problem or not he would need to be examined.

Thanks for your reply Jane! He's under a year old and doesn't seem stiff in any other way or form, binkies, runs, jumps up etc. When clipping his nails earlier and pushing his legs forward in order to get to them easier he didn't seem reluctant or stiff or pull them back.

He has been drinking more lately but his intake of hay has increased and he's been having a few apple sticks lately. His respiratory infection doesn't seem to have cleared up so I will be ringing vet for an appointment on Monday. I've not put hay in his litter tray tonight and he's only got a couple of poos out of the tray, all pees are in there. I've disinfected the hutch and put everything fresh in so will check in the morning when he goes back in to see if theres been any mishaps. Could the disinfectant be a reason? Its the green stuff they sell in most pet shops.

Do the injections sound like a usual course of combating respiratory problems? I'm not sure if they're particularly rabbit savvy as it's my OH's vet in Scunthorpe.

:wave: Is he neutered? Unneutered buns will often suddenly start littering all over the place to mark their territory, so if he isn't neutered, his age plus the increasing day length might have triggered it.

Sudden loss of toileting and drinking a lot can also be signs of an infection called e.cuniculi so it's definitely worth popping him back to the vet regardless of his respiratory infection. Injections every few days (depending what they are!) can be a very good way of tackling respiratory infections as there are some great long acting injectable antibiotics and it reduces stress for the bun having an injection every few days instead of something every day.

Hope you get on ok back at the vet xx

What is e. cuniculi? I know it's pretty serious but not symptoms and what it actually is... He seems to be drinking loads tonight and still has the wet nose/runny eyes. Forgot to say he is neutered, been done for 2 months round about now.

Just read up on it a bit, a parasite from their mother or ingested through something covered in urine? He's just peed on the pillow and done a few spots on the laminate next to it.

Last edited:
Any more info anyone can give? Filled his water up last night and there was under a quarter left when I woke up. No pees on his clean bedding.

Back