• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spenser not eating - now eating a bit, post 26

While I agree with you Karen I have never known mine to ever turn down a fenugreek crunchie. They could've just stuffed themselves silly with grass and hay yet there is always room for a crunchie. Like kids and sweets!

Hi susie, I know what it's like when Everyone's telling you that you have to give metacam, and it's near enough impossible because your bunny hates being held/interfered with :( it makes you feel rubbish because you can't do what they need. I think if it was my bunny that needed pain relief now and I couldn't give it orally, I would take him to the vets and get them to inject it..
Yesterday I had to give honey Zantac via syringe which I was dreading, but it HAD to be done because she wasn't pooping at all, so I got a big towel, wrapped it round her quickly and scooped her up. She kicked for a bit then stopped. I carried her into our bedroom and put her on a board on top of the bed (like a makeshift table). I got my OH to hold her tight while I put the syringe in her mouth. She did try to get away but if you hold tight enough they can't :? Good luck with whatever you do, and vibes for Spenser xx

Hi susie, I know what it's like when Everyone's telling you that you have to give metacam, and it's near enough impossible because your bunny hates being held/interfered with :( it makes you feel rubbish because you can't do what they need. I think if it was my bunny that needed pain relief now and I couldn't give it orally, I would take him to the vets and get them to inject it..
Yesterday I had to give honey Zantac via syringe which I was dreading, but it HAD to be done because she wasn't pooping at all, so I got a big towel, wrapped it round her quickly and scooped her up. She kicked for a bit then stopped. I carried her into our bedroom and put her on a board on top of the bed (like a makeshift table). I got my OH to hold her tight while I put the syringe in her mouth. She did try to get away but if you hold tight enough they can't :? Good luck with whatever you do, and vibes for Spenser xx

Great post & good advice :D:wave:

I had never syringed till ten days ago, and lord I wish it wasn't Bobby, carlo sits still, but Bobby is a Big nightmare :evil:

The towel worked wonders, and I would back her up against the back of the sofa, so she couldn't go back

I have wondered this too and have suggested keeping a diary of what Spenser eats so that this can be accurately monitored (& shared with RU if that helps).

:wave:

That's not a bad idea. :thumb:

Schuette, I don't buy crunchies any more as I was spending way too much on treats and the like so can't speak for them but Bubbles sometimes turns down things that she would normally take my fingers off for.

It's an odd notion as bunnies generally seem quite greedy but Bubbles has to be in the mood; I sometimes wonder if she'd be even less interested in the goodies if it wasn't for Alfie clambering over her to get to them - almost as if to say "If he's having one, then I guess I'd better have one too."

While I agree with you Karen I have never known mine to ever turn down a fenugreek crunchie. They could've just stuffed themselves silly with grass and hay yet there is always room for a crunchie. Like kids and sweets!

:lol: mine are the same, but not for crunchies.

Its very difficult when advice is being posted and asked for over the forum, because we can't know the full story. A primary example is that Susie has previously said Spenser shows no hormones, yet earlier on this thread shows he did.

When you hear that the owner feels a bunny needs pain relief, but that he didn't get it because he bites, that doesn't quite sit right, and that implies that the owner is not meeting the bunnies needs because of their own needs. Now, we all know Susie loves Spenser dearly, but I am sure we are not getting the full story, which is what is leading to this confusion and these posts and advice and the huge variant in them.

Like, prior to Spenser being neutered, there was a lot of concern about Spenser's teeth, but if there had been true and real concern, then that would have been done far sooner once the issue was raised and discussed with the vet, not waited until a good month (at least- I can't remember dates off the top of my head) later. That implies that Susie didn't feel there was much need to worry, because if she did she would have gotten it done earlier.

Essentially, the only person who can make the decision, and has to go with their gut is Susie. We all have to remember we are not getting the full picture because you cant get that over the internet. Susie has to make informed choices on what she thinks is best, based on all the info available to her, and not just listen to any one source. She has to trust herself and fight appropriately. If she feels he needs pain relief, she needs to find a way to make that happen (such as learning to inject it, or going to the vets) because only she can advocate for him.

(by the way, sorry to talk about you in third person Susie, I was just responding to those who were saying different opinions, and how they happened and also agreeing with them about taking a step back).

So I completely agree with those who said about take some space and make the decision yourself Susie. follow your gut instinct as to what is best for him.

It just comes down to knowing your bunny. :)

i've only just seen this, sorry.

hope you can get mr spenser sorted. i haven't read the whole thread but if he's anything like my crew, this time of day isn't the best time to get them to eat.

in fact, i'm not sure where eric is......

i've only just seen this, sorry.

hope you can get mr spenser sorted. i haven't read the whole thread but if he's anything like my crew, this time of day isn't the best time to get them to eat.

in fact, i'm not sure where eric is......

Actually you know what??? Bobby never seems to start eating untill around 6 :?

Actually you know what??? Bobby never seems to start eating untill around 6 :?

eric has his breakfast btw 7.30 and 8.30. he leaves maybe a sprig of herbs to have with me at lunchtime and a munch on hay then thats usually it until about 6. he'll chomp hay a couple of times but i rarely see him btw 1 and 5.30pm then its tea about half 6-7.

i think me not being here all day saturday meant he stayed hidden from 9am til about 5 when i got back - hence the episode on sunday:roll:

i hope you don't think people are getting on at you either, i think sometimes things come accross harshly and in a "you must do what i say" manner in text messages, emails and forums etc as theres no benefit of body language showing the person is trying to be nice - so don't feel picked on :wave:

So, as to the eating, Joejoe is a bunny vacuum cleaner when it comes to food - you put it in front of him and he hoovers it up - in fact I'm thinking of changing his name to Dyson :lol: but seriously, every now and again he actually turns his nose up at food, and on friday morning he scared the life out of me as he was half asleep when i went out to give them their breakfast and he didn't touch his nuggets so i offered him a fenugreek crunchie and he took a tiny nibble (they normally go down in one) and dropped it - however he must just have been tired or full up because later on he was 100% back to normal and eating fine.

i think its a very good idea to put food down and then see how much is left after say 6 hours - count out his nuggets and see how many are missing after that time etc then you will be able to gauge if he's not eating full stop or just not eating the minute you put something in front of him.

I hope you can get to the bottom of all this though as its very worrying isn't it when they're not right xxx

When Dom decided to not eat I had a quiet little word in her ear (not that it worked as she still needed a jab) about not eating and a trip to the V.E.T....

We had snuggles and then I shoved a mint leaf in her face and said it's this or a trip to the vets...worked the second time :lol: ;)

Just on briefly to answer a couple of questions:

- Spenser's teeth were not examined while he was under GA for neuter. His vets don't do neuter/dental combis, he just had xrays. I'm sure this came up on at least one earlier thread.

- He is not on pain relief at present, but I will try to administer some orally tonight. His appointment today was cancelled on vet advice, as he had just eaten about half a dozen SS pellets, some grass and fresh dandelions and two fine green beans. As it looked like he was beginning to eat for himself we felt the stress of the vet trip could do more harm than good.

For obvious reasons I won't be posting much more, but I am grateful to those who have tried to help Spenser and I.

For obvious reasons I won't be posting much more, but I am grateful to those who have tried to help Spenser and I.

I'm not sure what these obvious reasons are, but remember that every one posting is just posting because they care for you and Spenser. Nothing more, nothing less. Although I know maybe some of it may not be comfortable to hear.

I hope you're doing ok, and remember if you do need to post, then do :)

Hi Susie, just seen this... :oops: I hope Spenser is ok and I know how much you worry about him, you know him better than anyone else so make sure you do whatever you feel is best for him.

Please don't go, you were one of the ones who kept asking and reassuring me when Oscar when for his neuter, it meant a lot to me :) You will both be missed if you go...

Aww Susie, Please don't stop posting :(

I can see why you're feeling like you don't want to but i'm sure i'm not just speaking for myself in saying i'd miss you and gorgeous little Spenser xxx

Back