• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore tootsies..pics....am i over worried????

yvette

Wise Old Thumper
Lily has sore paws.....all 4.Looks pink on each toe.Any ideas?? Shes on a hay base....cleaned alternate days and litter everyday!! Really clean.Im stumped.
Thanks.xx

Last edited:
Bumped for you Evie, as I am afraid I don't know much about that.

Can they be burns from the cold floor at exercise time? I know you have some paved bits. The only saw paws I have had are from heat burns on the patio, so just wondered if there is a cold version of that.

I am probably being an idiot...someone more useful will be along shortly :oops:

Bumped for you Evie, as I am afraid I don't know much about that.

Can they be burns from the cold floor at exercise time? I know you have some paved bits. The only saw paws I have had are from heat burns on the patio, so just wondered if there is a cold version of that.

I am probably being an idiot...someone more useful will be along shortly :oops:

shes an indoor bun!!!xxx

I think it's like sore hocks but on the front toes? Mini has a bit of pinkness there sometimes.

Could it be just they way she holds her weight? Like the way our shoes wear down on one side.

I can understand why you are concerned, but think you are doing all you can.

Are you sure that they are sore? Buns skin on their feet is pink, just we dont often see it as fur is meant to cover their paws entirely.

Can't you get "sore hocks" on all feet...obviously not sore hocks, but the front paw version of it.

God I am useless...I'll leave you to the clever people Evie. xx

Poor wee Lily! :( Is she behaving as if she is in pain? Sending her vibes and hoping a bunny tootsies expert comes along.

is she quite old? Dusty has them on back feet and is indoors and also very clean - the vet said to use sudacrem and to superglue fur on if necessaty (from very good rabbit savvy vet) xx

photo0017.jpg

They look so pink!! Like little cuts in between the toes, and its never shown like this before.Im so conscious of her feet as shes always walking in tiddle and this pinkness has happened since I put hay (and nothing else but) in the pen,
image028.jpg

they did have vet bed as with the tiddle I didnt want sore hocks.To be truthful, before the hay i washed her feet and this has since happened.Could it be I didnt dry the toes off properly and the hay has irritated them?? The last thing I want Lils to have is sore feet.

Poor wee Lily! :( Is she behaving as if she is in pain? Sending her vibes and hoping a bunny tootsies expert comes along.

No, thankfully!!! Though I would expect her to be......spsecially with her spinal problems.
Im an old worry guts, I know.:oops::roll:

I was advised against washing feet when I was concerned about my little rabbit nephew's paws a while back, so there might be a link although I'm sure you were very careful with her wee tootsies.

I cant really glean much from the pic :oops:

If the skin looks inflamed and/or cracked then obviously that is a valid concern, especially given her spinal issues.

What did you use to wash her feet, just water ?

Is that tarpaulin under the hay and if so are her feet actually in contact with it ?

I cant really glean much from the pic :oops:

If the skin looks inflamed and/or cracked then obviously that is a valid concern, especially given her spinal issues.

What did you use to wash her feet, just water ?

Is that tarpaulin under the hay and if so are her feet actually in contact with it ?

Its not cracked or swollen...just pink and sore looking.
I used just water.......and yes its a tarp but on it is puppy pads and then so much hay........is this a problem???? I hope not.The vet bed didnt help with her wandering through tiddle.

The problem with just hay is that it isn't very absorbent on it's own and yes buns can develop pressure/friction sores where they are standing on soiled litter, so with her wee issues and non absorbent litter I think this will likely be the contributing issue - spinal problems will only exacerbate this if her gait and posture are putting too much weight on her paws at times.

Our foster bun had sores on front and back paws which was definitely being exacerbated by firstly him widdling everywhere and being on urine soaked shavings for much of the day - urine is scalding.

I would recommend going back to vet beds with a towel underneath to absorb the urine that drains through or putting an absorbent substrate under the hay such as megazorb.

I would aim to keep the feet dry, washing off urine is fine but I would pat the feet dry with a towel after and try and keep all bedding bone dry.

Back