• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sophie very sick, upper and lower respiratory infection

Saucepot

Alpha Buck
Sophie was at the vets all day yesterday, she had an AB injection and metacam and a gut stimulant. I brought her home last night and she seemed to have improved a little and appeared more relaxed and pooped overnight but has now gone downhill. She is struggling to breathe and it's so upsetting to watch. I bought a nebuliser today and ordered some f10 from my vet but it won't be in until tomorrow. I am feeding her critical care, she is on 1.5ml of co-trim twice daily and metacam twice daily.

Is there any benefit to using the nebuliser with plain saline water?
My vet said to move her away from her husbun as it's contagious, he is lost without her.
To make matters worse, we are supposed to be going on holiday to Turkey today week.

:(

If she is now struggling to breathe then she may need to be on oxygen and she may also need additional medication. Syringe feeding a Rabbit in respiratory distress is extremely risky, they may aspirate the feed.

I would contact the Vet again and ask if it would be better for her to be admitted for intensive care.

Sophie was at the vets all day yesterday, she had an AB injection and metacam and a gut stimulant. I brought her home last night and she seemed to have improved a little and appeared more relaxed and pooped overnight but has now gone downhill. She is struggling to breathe and it's so upsetting to watch. I bought a nebuliser today and ordered some f10 from my vet but it won't be in until tomorrow. I am feeding her critical care, she is on 1.5ml of co-trim twice daily and metacam twice daily.

Is there any benefit to using the nebuliser with plain saline water?
My vet said to move her away from her husbun as it's contagious, he is lost without her.
To make matters worse, we are supposed to be going on holiday to Turkey today week.

:(

Yes I have used a nebuliser with saline. You can get ampoules of saline from chemists usually.

It's a shame she's away from her husbun. When I had a bun with pneumonia I never separated him from his wife, and she never caught it from him.

Do you have a confident bunny boarder/ family to take care of her whilst you're away?

So sorry. Poor Sophie. I hope she turns a corner soon xx

I know my vets in Ewell doesn't have an intensive care, Stone Lion is the nearest, not sure how good they are with rabbits though

Anne said to separate them and keep her away in a separate cage, they've been apart for nearly 2 days now :(

I know my vets in Ewell doesn't have an intensive care, Stone Lion is the nearest, not sure how good they are with rabbits though

As I said previously, I would try to get her admitted.

Is she mouth breathing and/or raising her head and stretching her neck ?

As I said previously, I would try to get her admitted.

Is she mouth breathing and/or raising her head and stretching her neck ?

No she is noisily trying to breath through her nose, it is very snotty and her eyes are partially closed. Her breaths are quite shallow, I can try post a video?

I'm going to bring her to Stone Lion in Wimbledon after work but that will be about 9pm

No she is noisily trying to breath through her nose, it is very snotty and her eyes are partially closed. Her breaths are quite shallow, I can try post a video?

I'm going to bring her to Stone Lion in Wimbledon after work but that will be about 9pm

Can anyone else take her there before that ?

Have you tried clearing the mucus from her nostrils ?

No, I'm the only one here, OH on call, how can I clear the mucus?

I doubt you have a nasal aspirator to hand

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-Nose-Clear-nasal-aspirators/dp/B000NG978M

So a cotton pad (cosmetic type that wont 'moult') dampened with warm water could be used to attempt to wipe the worst of the visible mucus away. Stop if she gets too stressed though.

You could see if putting her in a steam filled bathroom helps. Run the bath tap/shower on hot and get the room as steamed up as possible, the steam may help shift the mucus in her airways.

She died 😢 I hate myself so much for trusting my vet, my instincts told me she should have been admitted last night, not sent home with me.
My beautiful little girl, I'm so sorry I let you down :(

You didn't let Sophie down. You did your very best.

Rest easy, and binky free Sophie.

Sophie was the name I gave to my very first rabbit :love:

What should I do about her husbun Nimbus? She was just taken from him yesterday, at the vets all day and quarantined in a separate cage since then so he must be bewildered plus he is blind and relied on her. They were together for 5 years, I cannot believe she has gone. I just can't take it in, should I let him see her?

If it were me, then yes, I would let him see her before you take her away.

Give yourself and Nimbus a little time to adjust before you think about what to do next.

Give him extra cuddles and talk to him a lot :love:

Thank you for your advice and kind words, I put her next to him and he sniffed her a lot and groomed her...I'm so upset x

Back