• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Something wrong with Bubbles U/D 29/8 Jackpot!!

Something similar happened to a little lop eared bunny I adopted.

Treacle was about 5 when I adopted her. I had her spayed to save the rescue's money and the inside of her uterus had calcified lumps. It was so unusual that the vet (FHB in Harrogate) took photos of the uterus for teaching purposes.

Treacle went on to make a full recovery and lived very happily with us and her companion Kellogg. :)

Wow, I hope she makes a good recovery.

Faye ( cottonmather) had a foster bunny called Dash which was found to have a mummified fetus inside her, it may be worth pming her :)

Jane, Have you ever experienced anything like this?? I just can't understand how it's happened? Vet did say it was quite rare.

Not personally but I have heard of it happening, in humans aswell as in Rabbits
Lithopedions appear to occur in a pregnancy that implants outside of the uterus and so the foetus dies and subsequently calcifies. This can cause serious problems if the calcified foetus adheres to vital internal organs.
It sounds as though Bubbles has been very lucky.

My goodness :shock::shock:

Bubbles is VERY lucky to have a mummy that notices, well done you!!

(and dont you hate it when vets look down your nose at you, thinking you've done something wrong when you actually havent :s)

Healing vibes and nose rubs for the newly spayed Bubbles!!

1st. everything crossed for rapid smooth recovery - eating & pooping for Bubbles. Awww bless her.

I'm a bit surprised that others are so surprised by the diagnosis, although I've not heard of it in pet rabbits before.
Now wonder whether it's a myth, but thought that if a pregnant wild doe was very frightened, ill, or there were adverse food/ climate conditions the foetus would die & be resorbed. Should the process be incomplete it would eventually, over time, cause Bubbles condition.

The important thing is to get her back on her paws ASAP.
All the best - please let us know her progress. :wave:

Quick update and unfortunately its bad news. She went into stasis yesterday afternoon and has been at the vets since. She's on a drip and they are syringe feeding her. I've just been to see her and she looks like the bloated runty little thing she was when we first met. Please I'm begging everyone, please pray she pulls through :cry::cry::cry:

I'm so sorry she's in stasis, it's good that she's getting full treatment so quickly. Lots of prayers going up for all of you.

She's still at the vets. They say she has improved but not enough to come home yet. Maybe tomorrow. They let me see her again today as she brightens up when she sees me *heart melts!* She's had lots of nose rubs and kisses altho I couldn't hold her. She still won't eat for herself but they did manage to get her to nibble a tiny piece of carrot. I'm so lucky to have such wonderful vets who have no issues with me going through to the back to see her. Thank you so much for thinking of her. It's so kind :)

Just caught up on this post and my god thats such a shock and very weird to! I've never heard of anything like that before.
I really hope Bubbles pulls through and gets better and well done you for spotting it and getting her checked.
Thinking of you both xxx hugs xxx

That's good news! Sounds as if she's beginning to turn the corner. Everything crossed for eating & pooping tonight & home soon.

Shes Home!! :D:D

Although it's still early days. She's currently in a spare 4ft hutch on my coffee table with just a litter tray and some blankets. I've had her home for about an hour and she hasn't come out of the litter tray yet bless her! Shes looking much better than she was the other day but she still wont eat for herself so shes come home with critical care, metacam and metoclop. Looks like it's going to be a long night.

Thanks for all the thoughts and vibes, I don't think she would still be with me without them so thank you from the bottom of my heart (and Bubbles!)

I'm delighted she's home -
Come on bubbles you're nearly there - just start to eat & poop for us please.

Back