• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Some new pictures of Juno my wildie.

She's beautiful :D

Scamp made it to 1.24kg (I think that's right) and has remained exactly the same since. He did have a few growth spurts though so she might do a bit more yet :)

They are little terrors but they have such cute faces they get away with anything :lol:

I have no idea what she weighs at the moment but she has certainly not reached 1kg yet. If she dosn't grow anymore then there must be something (or something missing) in the water around here because I also have a cat which stopped growing at kitten sized and is 18 months old now.

Scamp was late sexually maturing as well wasn't he? I don't want to spey her until she has finished growing as ultimately her adult size will determine if she can cope with a totally paralysed paw or if it will need to come off in the end.

Juno has been nothing short of a horror to me today. :evil:

On Tuesday she wouldn't even let her Aunty Charlotte give her a cuddle without scratching us both to death and running off to the sofa :roll:

It's her way or the highway in this house :lol::lol::lol: I always loved the idea of having a wild rabbit but have found behind the sweet face lies a demonic nature!

oh yes. sweetpea isn't really sweet at all:roll: scamp her husbun has just been having time out on his own because she is being a little so and so to him tonight:(. she has these moments sometimes, usually if she can smell other buns. didn't have her spayed until she was about 1 1/2 years. partly because i thought it might scare her to death:? haven't a clue what she weighs cos she isn't a pick me up bunny, she only lets you stroke her when she wants. she is a nightmare when she has vaccinations, the vets always look at me as if to say '' oh no not again''

she is a nightmare when she has vaccinations, the vets always look at me as if to say '' oh no not again''

:lol::lol::lol: I can imagine :lol::lol::lol:

Juno has an odd habit involving her tongue, it's almost serpent like because she randomly sticks it right out like she is tasting the air.

She was very licky as a baby and now you often see her licking her lips too. I'll have to try and catch her in action one day as I have never known a rabbit like it.

Scamp was late sexually maturing as well wasn't he? I don't want to spey her until she has finished growing as ultimately her adult size will determine if she can cope with a totally paralysed paw or if it will need to come off in the end.

Yes, I think it was about 9/10 months before his testicles dropped. It makes sense really as in the wild he wouldn't need to 'preform' :oops: until the following spring. I guess domestic rabbits have been bred to develop very quickly.

Scamp is very licky too, he licks in time as you rub his ears or scratch his back.

Do you find she does weird things with her tail? Scamps seem to wiggle all over the place!

Yes, I think it was about 9/10 months before his testicles dropped. It makes sense really as in the wild he wouldn't need to 'preform' :oops: until the following spring. I guess domestic rabbits have been bred to develop very quickly.

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit but that's interesting about being older when he became a 'man' so to speak, do you think that females in the wild mature later too?

Scamp is very licky too, he licks in time as you rub his ears or scratch his back.

Do you find she does weird things with her tail? Scamps seem to wiggle all over the place!

I just realised I didn't make the spey part very clear...if we have to amputate it will be at the same time as neutering so she dosn't endure two GA's which is why she needs to be adult weight at the time.

She was a summer baby so also wouldn't be breeding until next spring so I guess she also wouldn't need to mature early, I did keep her on a wild diet initially whilst we changed her onto domestic food so I don't know if that has made any difference to her either.

I've not noticed anything with her tail I have to say, I've had twitchy domestic bunnies and they always used to remind me of baby lambs for some reason :oops:. I wonder if that could relate to gender though, possibly some kind of male posturing or because they are more likely to use their scut as a warning system in the wild.

I would tend to say yes. Perhaps those born earliest in the year would give birth late but later litters wouldn't have time to mature and give birth before winter. Although its usually implied rabbits breed madly I think it tends to be seasonal.

I'll see if I can dig up any facts on age :)

I've not noticed anything with her tail I have to say, I've had twitchy domestic bunnies and they always used to remind me of baby lambs for some reason :oops:. I wonder if that could relate to gender though, possibly some kind of male posturing or because they are more likely to use their scut as a warning system in the wild.

Yes, just like a lamb :lol: It's usually a sign a sign he's about to do something naughty. I think my other male is too sedate for any wiggling :lol: His tails so long compared or maybe it's just because he stands up more in posture its more obvious.

I'm pretty sure Benji was castrated at 6 months, but he was a autumn baby so would have been mature by spring. He didn't get much above 1.5 kgs either, he wasn't a cuddly bun at all, but he was very good at the vets, and for nail clipping and teeth checks. They were all in a big run and had a huge 2 tier hutch, and Benji could run up the side of the run and sit on the roof, keeping a watch on things. I did notice, he, more than the girls was active at dawn and dusk.

I did notice, he, more than the girls was active at dawn and dusk.

Juno does seem to respond to the light...her evening activity has become longer and started earlier as the nights have drawn in. This involves a lot of bar rattling until we go and let her out, because she is so small she cannot be allowed to wander unsupervised at the moment.

My cats also seem to know she is 'different' and quite frankly I don't trust them alone with her, though they are fine with my other house rabbits. :?

Oh Sooz do you think it is a good idea to spay her and amputate at the same time? Poor little mite it's a lot to get over all at once. Anesthetics are really safe now. I think I would rather do 2 ops than put her through 2 major procedures at the same time. I use Abbey vets at Highgreen and they are excellent with bunnies.

Rabswood

Oh Sooz do you think it is a good idea to spay her and amputate at the same time? Poor little mite it's a lot to get over all at once. Anesthetics are really safe now. I think I would rather do 2 ops than put her through 2 major procedures at the same time. I use Abbey vets at Highgreen and they are excellent with bunnies.

Rabswood

Your speaking to the converted re: aneasthetics, however:

Absolutely. We have discussed it in great detail with two vets and they both agree it is in her best interests to get it over with under 1 GA....the stress on a wildie is far greater than a domestic rabbit, I am the only person she trusts.

Putting her through the whole prepping up and down procedure twice would be cruel.

There is an excellent chance that amputation isn't going to be necessary at this stage.

Last edited:
Hi :wave:, she is lovely. I've got 4 wildies 1 buck and 3 does. I handreared them from about 5 days and they are over a year now but seem very small compared to rabbits in the wild. The buck weighs about 1.4kg but the does are about 1.2 -1.3kg. They are full of character and great fun to watch :D.

Oh yes, I've had her since she was between 5 and 8 weeks old which I think was the beginning of July. She was quite poorly and has defects in both her front legs which need on going physiotherapy & support.

She was originally destined to be PTS.

That nearly happened to the orphaned runt of a litter I reared. Now she is the fastest bunnie and jumps the highest. Well done you for taking wee Juno on, she's a peach.

That nearly happened to the orphaned runt of a litter I reared. Now she is the fastest bunnie and jumps the highest. Well done you for taking wee Juno on, she's a peach.

Thank you. I found the first few weeks very draining as she needed an awful lot of time & medication....I also had her on a wild based diet so had to keep going weed picking a couple of times a day, which meant a trek to the woods. :lol:

Back