• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

solo or joint visit to vet

Griffski

Warren Scout
Hi - one of my 18 month old bunnies has to have his first dental treatment next week for a spur on his back teeth (despite my best efforts to get him eating more hay/grass/readigrass (he is also stasis bunny), which have succeeded, despite cutting back on pellets, to the extent the vet has designated him porky.. sigh). He is one of a pair bond and i have always taken them to the vet together. He will be in all day and i'm wondering if it is best to bring them both to the surgery or leave her at home. They both get very stressed on the short drive to the vet surgery and i;m not sure if it's fair to put her through it when she requires no treatment. On the other hand i don;t want the bond to be disrupted .. they had a fight a few weeks back but otherwise are wonderfully happy together.
Also, i thought i would keep them indoors overnight to monitor him more closely post general anaesthetic, but he is way happier outdoors (they have been outside since april) and i'm wondering if keeping him inside might just add to his stress. Their outdoor system has tunnels so i'd worry a little if he retreated into one (not his normal practice) and i couldn;t check on him.
Would very much appreciate advice from those with other bonded pairs and with insight into what care he may need post dental.
many thanks !

I'd definitely take both to the vets so they can support each other. The experience generally helps strengthen bonds as you may have difficulty putting them back together if separated over night.

In regards to moving inside over night, I'd probably have them in for a few hours after getting home and see how they get on. If he appears to be nibbling at food okay I'd move him outside and just check on him every few hours. If he's needing syringe feeding I'd keep them in overnight in a room that can have the windows left open wide all night to try to keep temperature in the room the same as outside.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

thanks for the advice daphnephoebe -last thing i want is them losing the bond... i'll take them both to the vet and monitor him inside to start off with and see how it goes. not really sure what to expect.

Hi - one of my 18 month old bunnies has to have his first dental treatment next week for a spur on his back teeth (despite my best efforts to get him eating more hay/grass/readigrass (he is also stasis bunny), which have succeeded, despite cutting back on pellets, to the extent the vet has designated him porky.. sigh). He is one of a pair bond and i have always taken them to the vet together. He will be in all day and i'm wondering if it is best to bring them both to the surgery or leave her at home. They both get very stressed on the short drive to the vet surgery and i;m not sure if it's fair to put her through it when she requires no treatment. On the other hand i don;t want the bond to be disrupted .. they had a fight a few weeks back but otherwise are wonderfully happy together.
Also, i thought i would keep them indoors overnight to monitor him more closely post general anaesthetic, but he is way happier outdoors (they have been outside since april) and i'm wondering if keeping him inside might just add to his stress. Their outdoor system has tunnels so i'd worry a little if he retreated into one (not his normal practice) and i couldn;t check on him.
Would very much appreciate advice from those with other bonded pairs and with insight into what care he may need post dental.
many thanks !

Try and keep them together. There's been instances where I've split a bonded pair for vet treatment, but I've known it's the best thing and there's been no bonding break up issue. You need to keep them supporting one another :D

Post dental - most vets don't give pain relief (in my experience) so keep a careful eye on him. If he can get into tunnels and you can't block him off, then be cautious if he's groggy or not eating well straight away. It's still warm enough to bring them in for a night then put them out again.

Good luck xx

Try and keep them together. There's been instances where I've split a bonded pair for vet treatment, but I've known it's the best thing and there's been no bonding break up issue. You need to keep them supporting one another :D

Post dental - most vets don't give pain relief (in my experience) so keep a careful eye on him. If he can get into tunnels and you can't block him off, then be cautious if he's groggy or not eating well straight away. It's still warm enough to bring them in for a night then put them out again.

Good luck xx

thanks MightyMAx - i'm lucky to have a rabbit-savvy vet who gives pain pain relief so hopefully he will get home with some metacam (then i just have to try to find his mouth to administer it .. he is one furry bunny and doesn;t like human contact :)). i think i'll keep them in for the night just to be on safe side but put them out in the morning if he's on the mend - i think it will help him to be where he is more himself. i'm worried for him ... he has a history of mild stasis so am hoping he eats something soon post op. he's a wonderful wee soul .. am hoping he bounces back fast.

thanks MightyMAx - i'm lucky to have a rabbit-savvy vet who gives pain pain relief so hopefully he will get home with some metacam (then i just have to try to find his mouth to administer it .. he is one furry bunny and doesn;t like human contact :)). i think i'll keep them in for the night just to be on safe side but put them out in the morning if he's on the mend - i think it will help him to be where he is more himself. i'm worried for him ... he has a history of mild stasis so am hoping he eats something soon post op. he's a wonderful wee soul .. am hoping he bounces back fast.

If he doesn't eat tonight, Griffski, then I would syringe feed him a bit of organic baby food (Ella's Kitchen is good :)) with perhaps a bit of recovery food or ground up pellets.

You don't want to precipitate stasis!

:D

If he doesn't eat tonight, Griffski, then I would syringe feed him a bit of organic baby food (Ella's Kitchen is good :)) with perhaps a bit of recovery food or ground up pellets.

You don't want to precipitate stasis!

:D

thanks MightyMax - it's all happening on tuesday so that gives me time to get organised - thanks for the advice:)

Back