• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Soft poops

natsbunnies

Warren Scout
Hi all.

My Maisy is 1 years old . Ever since I can remember she haas had soft poo and they always seem a little bigger than my other rabbits.
I took her to the vets a few months ago about it and we tried her on some....i can't remember some digestive thing to help her have the right levels of bacteria in her stomach.
Anyway that didn't change anything so I took in some of her poop and he said it was formed well so maybe that is just how she is.

Since being on here though it's got me worried because they aren't like other peoples rabbits.

Basically they are a round/oval shape but can look and feel moist to touch. Some times i can squish them and see hay inside but other times they just flatten they are so soft. They hardly get any greens and if they do it's only herbs and not every day. They were on burgess exel pellets but are now on mixed SS and burgess. They do get 2 handfuls of pellets twice a day ( I have small hands an thats between two rabbits) is that too much? They have deans meadow hay available all day.
Can anyone suggest anything? I thought maybe she isn't getting enough fibre ??
Sorry for the long essay.

(just looked and I think it was fibre plus the vet gave me)

Last edited:
Biolapis?

I have the same problem with Lola and Thumps on here kindly pointed me towards blackberry leaves to help the gut! Haven't managed to find loads yet so waiting until I have a good amount before I introduce them properly, so for now I've been giving her these, (see link) only 2-3 a day and they've worked so well! I didn't think they would but I'm really impressed. Lola's problem is excess cecals (soft grapey poops), her usual poos are perfectly golden and big (although colour isn't massively important with poos as long as they're a good size, my indoor boys do big poos but they are very dark in colour).

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-food-...care-plus-digestive-health-formula-1kg-p-5639

Between my indoor pair I give them a small handful once a day and some broken fibafirst first sticks. Maybe you could decrease the amount of food slightly and see if the poos improve?

Is she eating plenty of hay? You could try a new hay? My lot love hay for pets meadow hay and timothyhay.co.uk :) prices include delivery and the biggest bags last me ages. Maybe introduce fibafirst?

Last edited:
Mine don't have a problem with cecals. I never find any.
It's just these soft poops. Do you know if there is anywhere you can buy dried blackberry leaves? Otherwise I will have to wait until the bushes by me start to grow again.
The leaves by us are a little brown or have holes in so they are probably no good?

I have changed hay several times and this seems to be the better one and they like it too which is handy because my girls are a bit picky lol

As the Vet gave you Fibreplex or similar he must have thought your rabbits weren't getting enough fibre from hay so you could be giving them too many pellets. If you cut down on the pellets a bit your rabbits should start eating more hay (more fibre) and once you find a good balance then you can keep to it. This should be noticeable in bunnies' poops.

I think he gave fibreplex because I told him she had been on grass a bit recently so he thought it may have caused an imbalance of some sort.

it does sound like you are feeding quite a lot of pellets, i would try reducing that and see if their hay consumption increases and the poo quality might improve too :thumb:

Back