• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Soft folding portable pens vs. metal portable pens?

amor2429

Young Bun
Hey all!
I did a quick search but it didn't pull up any results.
I want to know what everyone's opinions on the SOFT FOLDING portable pens are.
I'm interested in them as i saw some in real life, about 100, made of really durable canvas, and with a sun shade. I'm thinking my bun might like a bit of outside time but i dont want her getting sunburnt(she's the one i got that was shaved) or getting too hot. And it also has the choice to take away grazing, so she can't eat grass while she is in there. She also wouldnt be able to hop out which is my main concern as it has a zippered mesh top. I will however have to put in my own grass picks or maybe a hardwire wesh bottom, to prevent her from digging but also allowing some grazing? They are cheaper.
I have also looked at the METAL PIN HINGE portable pens and they don't look as durable as the canvas pens, they seem to have large wire openings and they generally arent sold with a sun shade/cover, so the bunny could possibly jump out(even though they are about 3 ft tall)?
They are also more expensive and they wouldn't be as easy to move or put onto a wire mesh bottom to prevent digging, and the metal coating could possibly be chewed? And it would be harder to get a cover to fit them, plus i do want them to be somewhat protected and have the ability to hide slightly more than if they were in a more 'open air' pen such as this metal one?
Also, if she goes crazy and smashes into the walls, she would hurt herself in the metal pen and might even get caught in it... but with the canvas that wouldn't happen, she would just bounce back?
Since her fur is growing back slowly, and probably the weather isnt great yet, she might not even go out this year... but i'd like to look into it atleast. Would it be a good bet to buy the soft folding one?
What do you all think?
Thanks so much! :)

Those fabric pens arent really suitable as rabbits can chew out of them in minutes if they choose too. You also cant get them in big enough sizes.

With both the pens I would say she would need strict supervision as neither offers protection from predators and both could be escaped from. You really need a secure, predator-proof run attached to a shelter or hutch.

But personally I wouldnt put her outside yet anyway, too much risk as she is shaved, and she hasnt yet had her vhd vaccination, and I know you cant get the myxo one in Austrailia. Plus putting her in a new environment is stressful, and tomorrow she will have moved housing 3 times in a week already and she is so, so young, I think its best to just let her settle for now. It is something to consider for next year, but you have plenty of time.

Back