• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Snowdrop looks so sad

glad Snowdrop is settling in to her new pad. Binkying sounds like a very good sign!:wave:

I think even solo buns can benefit from seeing & hearing other buns around - our singleton Dill is always more active in his run when he can 'see' (probably really hear) the others nearby.

Thank you for asking. Snowdrop is much happier now she has settled in. She spends hers days sleeping as before but now her evenings are binkying about the garden instead of being upstairs in our room on her own. She has more space now and can see Strawberry if she wants too instead of being hidden under my double bed all the time on her own.

The extra exercise is much better for her stomach condition and the wild diet will be much better for her too.

:D Glad she has settled down so quickly - great to hear she is binkying :thumb:

If Lucy has any concerns then can you ask her to contact me please, you can pm me for my mobile number.

Would be a shame for a rabbit that now has a 6ft by 4ft wendy house, 5 hours of free range time a day, hundreds of pounds spent on vet treatment for her stomach condition to go back to living in a foster hutch with no free time, as she spent the 7 months of her life, but I appreciate that she remains the property of the RSPCA.

Lucy is no longer running our RSPCA branch, shes really poorly at the moment so is taking some time out. Its me that you would need to talk to.

Can i also confirm that our foster rabbits arent living in a hutch with no free time :? All of the foster buns have 6x2x2 hutches, i know for a fact most of the fosterers bunnies are out alot of the time, my foster buns are free all day. Bunnies in care arent kept badly :roll:

I just think its such ashame that because you've tried her with 2 male rabbits and it hasnt worked, you've now written her off to be a single outdoor rabbit. If Bungle is going to be bonded with another bunny, surely Snow shoulve been kept inside and Bungle moved outside with company?

Lucy is no longer running our RSPCA branch, shes really poorly at the moment so is taking some time out. Its me that you would need to talk to.

Can i also confirm that our foster rabbits arent living in a hutch with no free time :? All of the foster buns have 6x2x2 hutches, i know for a fact most of the fosterers bunnies are out alot of the time, my foster buns are free all day. Bunnies in care arent kept badly :roll:

I just think its such ashame that because you've tried her with 2 male rabbits and it hasnt worked, you've now written her off to be a single outdoor rabbit. If Bungle is going to be bonded with another bunny, surely Snow shoulve been kept inside and Bungle moved outside with company?

In which case I will leave the decision as to whether Snowdrop can remain in my care with you. If you would like to speak to someone who has seen how Snowdrop reacts within seconds to another bunny then please ask Jill (honeybunny) or Denise (bunnyaddict) both who have tried to bond her.

I have not "written her off". I have made the decision that for now she will not be bonded. In the future, if its in her best interest we may well try to bond her again. I have defended myself numerous times but again for your official benefit the reasons behind this are;

she is extremly aggressive to other bunnies
she has a serious stomach condition that is made worse by the stress of bonding
she needs her input and output closely monitoring which is harder with 2 bunnies
she eats slowly and throughout the day due to her condition, this does not work well in bonded pairs.
she is alot happier in herself being single

The reasons for her living outside for the summer are;

more space
more time to free range and binky
its safer for her (she hunts out and eats cables, plastic and carpet)
she has a better diet due to the grass
she hides under our double bed all day and night and is hardly active at all inside
its cooler for her (our house overheats terribly and reaches temperatures of 30c during the day)

She will be inside again over Winter as I am not sure she will tolerate the cold because of her illness.

I will leave the decision in your hands but if you could make it fairly quickily as this is agonising enough and I dont think I can take too long of not knowing if we are going to lose her.

Last edited:
I think every body needs to relax, Becky isnt about to take Snowdrop off you.

I am sure Becky didnt know half of that, as i didnt either.

Whats wrong with her tummy :(

xx

xx

Taking Snow is the least of my worries tbh, obviously she hasnt seen the thread regarding Scamp :roll:

I know Lucy wouldnt be happy with a bunny being kept alone outside, and im trying to continue to the run the branch as Lucy wouldve. Ive given my opinion in the above post.

I did know Snow suffers with a poorly tummy, but didnt think the condition was that bad tbh, as in a previous thread i read shes been stable for a while. Anyway, im outa this thread now. I can only imagine that im the talk in most peoples PM boxes, guess its giving someone else a break!

:cry::cry::cry::cry: i hope she can stay because im sure a bunny with her illness would be classed as disabled so i cant imagine anyone except you or a sancutary would want her :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

xx

She has a condition know as "cowpile syndrome", or "megacolon". She gets regular bouts of bloat, is in stasis about once every 12 weeks, doesnt absorb protein and so doesnt maintain her weight and produces soft, cowpat like poos with bouts of diahorrea if she gets stressed.

She is managed with a very careful diet, very little stress and metacam, metaclop and infacol when she has a flare up.

We dont know how long she will manage with the illness but my vet thinks it will only be another year or so. Each stasis bout she has is worse than the previous and takes her longer to recover.

Taking Snow is the least of my worries tbh, obviously she hasnt seen the thread regarding Scamp :roll:

I know Lucy wouldnt be happy with a bunny being kept alone outside, and im trying to continue to the run the branch as Lucy wouldve. Ive given my opinion in the above post.

I did know Snow suffers with a poorly tummy, but didnt think the condition was that bad tbh, as in a previous thread i read shes been stable for a while. Anyway, im outa this thread now. I can only imagine that im the talk in most peoples PM boxes, guess its giving someone else a break!

You don't need to take it personally, as you have said you are following the guidelines of the RSPCA and I respect that. I will not speak badly of you for doing your job. I respect your opinion and hope that you can respect mine.

I dont post about Snowdrops illness often as people tend not to reply to my threads much and I am not a big believer in "vibes etc". I prefer to deal with it on my own, in my own way and only ask for advice when I need it. With the help of my vet I have her condition, as best can be, under control and so dont post about it.

:cry::cry::cry::cry: i hope she can stay because im sure a bunny with her illness would be classed as disabled so i cant imagine anyone except you or a sancutary would want her :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Not when they see her previous vet bills that run into hundreds they wouldnt! lol

Or the scars I have where she has lunged at me and latched on.

Your doing your best in bad circumstances, as is Becky, your both going through tough times... and I'm gonna send vibes anyway:D

Not when they see her previous vet bills that run into hundreds they wouldnt! lol

Or the scars I have where she has lunged at me and latched on.

i read that document you sent me ages ago, theres no way i could take on a rabbit knowing they have that illness... selfish or not i cant even cope with the odd stasis episode :oops::oops:

im glad she seems happier and fingers crossed you get to keep her. i know there are rules because Holly would have to go back to hopper haven if I chose not to get her a partner but being unbondable as well as delicate i would try for single and happy too and hope that Lou would agree..

im sorry your in such an awful situation, my nightmare would be what you are currently living xxxxx

She has a condition know as "cowpile syndrome", or "megacolon". She gets regular bouts of bloat, is in stasis about once every 12 weeks, doesnt absorb protein and so doesnt maintain her weight and produces soft, cowpat like poos with bouts of diahorrea if she gets stressed.

She is managed with a very careful diet, very little stress and metacam, metaclop and infacol when she has a flare up.

We dont know how long she will manage with the illness but my vet thinks it will only be another year or so. Each stasis bout she has is worse than the previous and takes her longer to recover.

Oh what a poor girl.

I am very much like Donna, i can barely cope with a bout of stasis, let alone anything like that.

Oh what a poor girl.

I am very much like Donna, i can barely cope with a bout of stasis, let alone anything like that.

I work full time and so am very grateful for my vet who will admit Snowdrop straight away if she stops eating so that she can be monitored properly while I am at work.

She also usually responds well to meds (once I have caught her, lost a few fingers and force fed her) and can be back to normal within half an hour if caught early.

I truely believe her aggressive is because she knows she is healthier and happier single. Sharing food and being chased dont help her and I think she knows that. She hates the sight of another rabbit and I think it is because if reminds her of Strawberry and how poorly she became when bonded to him (she lost nearly half her body weight and was very stressed).

just to add to this thread I tried to bond Snowdrop. There is no way I'd risk trying again for the male's sake and hers
She was VERY aggressive and stressed and given her medical history it really isn't worth the risk to her health
If she has other rabbits within sight, has a large area with toys and enviromental enrichment, is well fed. health monitored and comes back indoors in the winter, then for this particular rabbit it is probably the best set up for her.
As has been said if she was indoors but her owner out at work, she would be more lonely than outside where she can see other animals
It may not be perfect..but then neither is her health nor her personality for bonding
and by the way Rachael..in two weeks time I'll be able to bond Strawberry and/or Bungle for you if you wish:D

Last edited:
In which case I will leave the decision as to whether Snowdrop can remain in my care with you. If you would like to speak to someone who has seen how Snowdrop reacts within seconds to another bunny then please ask Jill (honeybunny) or Denise (bunnyaddict) both who have tried to bond her.

I have not "written her off". I have made the decision that for now she will not be bonded. In the future, if its in her best interest we may well try to bond her again. I have defended myself numerous times but again for your official benefit the reasons behind this are;

she is extremly aggressive to other bunnies
she has a serious stomach condition that is made worse by the stress of bonding
she needs her input and output closely monitoring which is harder with 2 bunnies
she eats slowly and throughout the day due to her condition, this does not work well in bonded pairs.
she is alot happier in herself being single

The reasons for her living outside for the summer are;

more space
more time to free range and binky
its safer for her (she hunts out and eats cables, plastic and carpet)
she has a better diet due to the grass
she hides under our double bed all day and night and is hardly active at all inside
its cooler for her (our house overheats terribly and reaches temperatures of 30c during the day)

She will be inside again over Winter as I am not sure she will tolerate the cold because of her illness.

I will leave the decision in your hands but if you could make it fairly quickily as this is agonising enough and I dont think I can take too long of not knowing if we are going to lose her.

Sounds to me like she's one much loved and cared for bunny who is lucky to have you :) It's very easy to say what you should and shouldn't do in an "ideal" world but we don't live in an ideal world and every rabbit is unique. It's only after spending lots of time in a 121 environment with them that we really understand what's best for them. You are giving her a wonderful home & I personally take my hat off to you for that x

Sounds to me like she's one much loved and cared for bunny who is lucky to have you :) It's very easy to say what you should and shouldn't do in an "ideal" world but we don't live in an ideal world and every rabbit is unique. It's only after spending lots of time in a 121 environment with them that we really understand what's best for them. You are giving her a wonderful home & I personally take my hat off to you for that x

As quoted above!!!!! I agree fully!!!!

Back