• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Snowdrop looks so sad

thought youd already cleared it with ther rescues that they are happy to let these bunnies be single with you as thier mom?

dont rehome because you feel judged hun, at the mo only one of the 3 is down and thats because her life has suddenly changed the other two are happy, i guess when winter comes you may have to reconsider with how cold it gets and the whole snuggling up with a buddie, not getting human attention etc.. but right now they are happy :love::love::love:

I think its different if theyre single bunnies and indoors, but having a single bunny outside alone is a no no IMO :( I know youve tried Snow with Strawbs and Bungle, but why not send her to a decent rescue where she can meet several different rabbits?

thought youd already cleared it with ther rescues that they are happy to let these bunnies be single with you as thier mom?

dont rehome because you feel judged hun, at the mo only one of the 3 is down and thats because her life has suddenly changed the other two are happy, i guess when winter comes you may have to reconsider with how cold it gets and the whole snuggling up with a buddie, not getting human attention etc.. but right now they are happy :love::love::love:

I have. And I have had discussions with people at other rescues who agreed with keeping Snowdrop single.

I will have a think about it whne I get back from holiday as this is when we were going to bond Strawbs.

I dont want her going through a stressful bonding process, as you all know she has a stomach condition that is made worse through stress.

Some bunnies just prefer to be single - we have a solo outdoor bun.

Dill rejects all our attempts to bond him (he attacks things that move - possibly a REW sight issue) but is a content and lively little bun.

Snowberry - it's clear that you love all your three buns, and will do your best for them - please don't take criticism to heart. Yes, in an ideal world then none of us would have single buns, but sometimes it is what is in their best interests.

How is Snowdrop this morning?

Hope you're not too stressed either. It's very hard to make the right decisions on behalf of our animals sometimes, but then, parents also find that with human children ;)

Don't feel you have to defend yourself, i think we all know in an ideal world all buns should have a friend but think what might happen if you put them in to a rescue for rehoming, they could be there for months on end waiting for a new home, and at least with you it's obvious you care for them, else you wouldn't have come on here worrying that Snowdrop looked down! There's thousands of depressed rabbits all over the country but unlike you their owners don't give a stuff.

I think you should maybe give rebonding another go, like someone else suggested you could maybe take her to a rescue and introduce her to lots of different bunnies in a controlled environment where no damage can be done.

I must admit i've got a bit confused with which ones been bonded and fell out with who, but is there anyone who could help you try and rebond two if not all three of your existing buns? I think it's responsible of you to admit you don't have the funds or the time to care properly for 6 buns and i'm sure you want the best for the ones you have.

I hate to see single buns too, and i have no idea or not if some grumpy buns are completely in-bondable (if that's a word?!) , or not and i probably wouldn't give up just yet, but from what other people on here have said some buns do seem happier on their own.

I hope you get things sorted so you and all three buns are happy ;) xxx

I've just read this whole thread and my heart goes out to you.

How is Snowdrop today? Is she brighter? She will soon settle quickly, especially with different stimulation and stuff.

As for you, you have no need to defend yourself. You have enough rabbit knowledge to use all that knowledge and make an informed decision about what is best for your bunnies. Many people on here do things that vary from the norm or the recommended, but if you are varying and doing it with knowledge and understanding backing your decision then that's all anyone can do.

Only you truly know what is best for your bunnies, and if you do that (and from your thinking patterns you are) then you won't go wrong.

Just as some people would criticise your setup, there are things that aren't perfect about their setup, so don't take it to heart, it's not like you're keeping them all seperate for a lark, there are reasons why they are single buns at the mo and you appreciate this isn't ideal, but you keep them warm, dry, fed, watered and happy, so don't fret too much :D

Ideally we'd all have rabbits in pairs or groups I suppose, but I think it's fine to have single rabbits in your circumstances. Most of the people I know who have rabbits only have one. You could rehome yours and they might still end up alone and maybe not as loved or as well cared for as they are now. I wouldn't even consider rehoming them just because they are single.

Our two males fell out and had to be separated. After a few months we managed to rebond them - but if we hadn't I don't think we would have got them a friend each, they would have had to be single rabbits. It is a commitment and expense to look after pets properly and I know we wouldn't have the time to look after 4 rabbits in the way we would like to.

I'm not sure of the history of your trying to bond them, but it may be worth having another go with 2 of them. But if not, well there are a lot of things that are a lot worse than keeping single rabbits imo.

I can't honestly see the point of rehoming them (which sounds awful but it's not meant that way!) as Snowdrop's and Bungle's needs are such that it would make them harder to rehome as they need extra care (and probably extra money) to keep them fit and well. Care which you are giving to them.

Strawberry too is errrr.... a character-ful bun' - ;) - that would probably make him harder to rehome and he is also a rabbit that seems to express himself very openly - he certainly lets you know when he's angry right?! :lol: So if Strawberry seems happy he probably *is* happy. :) x

If I were you..... I'd see how Snowdrop goes and if she doesn't settle outdoors then maybe consider moving Bungle out there and putting Snowdrop in the kitchen (where she can do less damage?) and prioritise getting him a friend as from what you've said about him I'd guess he's the more dependent one so would probably benefit most from a companion.

Then depending on how you'd feel with 5 buns' think about getting a companion for Strawberry?

It's all up to you and if you feel they are happy, and you are happy, I wouldn't stress too much about what the whole of RU thinks about it tbh. You have two special needs rabbits and one bossier-than-average rabbit who isn't particularly human-friendly from what you've said so I feel your circumstances aren't the same as someone with three healthy rabbits being kept alone. :) xx

I've had two single does live happily on their own. One was completely unbondable and nearly killed another rabbit. I tried her with every rescue/foster bun that came my way and she hated them all. Even took her to a rescue and the lady that runs it actually had to call me to come pick her up as she was incredibly aggressive during bondings and was taking chunks out of the humans as well as rabbits. I couldn't go near her if i'd been touching another rabbit as she would literally go for my ankles.

Another rabbit I had here was difficult at bonding. She went to live with a member from here who managed to bond her with their rabbit but three months down the line it broke down. I resigned to her being here alone as I can't afford more, but as luck would have it I was asked by my vet if I would give her a go with one of her clients rabbit. Dream bond and she now has a fantastic home, but I don't think she was ever unhappy here.

On another note, I recently moved two of my indoor rabbits outside as they have so much more space out there and a massive summerhouse to themselves. My doe is very nervous and hated it out there, I brought them back in at one point as every time I opened the back door she was trying to get in. Eventually she just 'took' to being outside and now she is like a completely different rabbit. She is so much happier than she ever was indoors and I actually see her binkying. She comes in the house sometimes by choice, but isn't really interested even if the door is left open. It's just the transition that is hard.

I've had two single does live happily on their own. One was completely unbondable and nearly killed another rabbit. I tried her with every rescue/foster bun that came my way and she hated them all. Even took her to a rescue and the lady that runs it actually had to call me to come pick her up as she was incredibly aggressive during bondings and was taking chunks out of the humans as well as rabbits. I couldn't go near her if i'd been touching another rabbit as she would literally go for my ankles.

Another rabbit I had here was difficult at bonding. She went to live with a member from here who managed to bond her with their rabbit but three months down the line it broke down. I resigned to her being here alone as I can't afford more, but as luck would have it I was asked by my vet if I would give her a go with one of her clients rabbit. Dream bond and she now has a fantastic home, but I don't think she was ever unhappy here.

On another note, I recently moved two of my indoor rabbits outside as they have so much more space out there and a massive summerhouse to themselves. My doe is very nervous and hated it out there, I brought them back in at one point as every time I opened the back door she was trying to get in. Eventually she just 'took' to being outside and now she is like a completely different rabbit. She is so much happier than she ever was indoors and I actually see her binkying. She comes in the house sometimes by choice, but isn't really interested even if the door is left open. It's just the transition that is hard.

Long time no see!

I think it's awful that people have jumped on you Rach.
I know how much you've tried to bond all 3 of them but things just unfortuantely haven't worked out.
I wonder what they'd do if they were put in this situation.
It's truely a horrible situation to be put in, and it must have been a hard decision to put them out there on their own.
Have a good think over your holiday and I'm sure there is some light in the end of the tunnel. Strawbs needs to find a bunny just as mischevious as him (Ghostie would be his match) and then I'd just be ideal for Snowdrop and Bungle to become lovers!

Long time no see!

:wave::wave:
I've been so busy this past year as been working two (more or less full time jobs!). ALso found it really hard to 'bite my tongue' on here so stopped posting :oops: I became far less irritated when I wasn't on here :lol:

i hope no1 is thinking i have jumped on Rach. I was clearly just asking questions, as i didnt know background on buns etc :wave:

all the best xx

i hope no1 is thinking i have jumped on Rach. I was clearly just asking questions, as i didnt know background on buns etc :wave:

all the best xx

Same here. I wasnt 'jumping' on Rach at all, i was just saying that i think its unfair to put a bunny outdoors alone, we certainly wouldnt rehome a bunny to live alone outside, hence why i asked. The reason i asked in the first place, was Snow came from us, and i wasnt sure we had been made aware of the situation :?

Even though Snow doesnt seem human friendly, she still had some sort of contact indoors, she obvious saw people come and go etc, outdoors she has none of that.

Last edited:
Same here. I wasnt 'jumping' on Rach at all, i was just saying that i think its unfair to put a bunny outdoors alone, we certainly wouldnt rehome a bunny to live alone outside, hence why i asked. The reason i asked in the first place, was Snow came from us, and i wasnt sure we had been made aware of the situation :?

Even though Snow doesnt seem human friendly, she still had some sort of contact indoors, she obvious saw people come and go etc, outdoors she has none of that.

If Lucy has any concerns then can you ask her to contact me please, you can pm me for my mobile number.

Would be a shame for a rabbit that now has a 6ft by 4ft wendy house, 5 hours of free range time a day, hundreds of pounds spent on vet treatment for her stomach condition to go back to living in a foster hutch with no free time, as she spent the 7 months of her life, but I appreciate that she remains the property of the RSPCA.

How is Snowdrop today? Looking any happier? :wave:

Thank you for asking. Snowdrop is much happier now she has settled in. She spends hers days sleeping as before but now her evenings are binkying about the garden instead of being upstairs in our room on her own. She has more space now and can see Strawberry if she wants too instead of being hidden under my double bed all the time on her own.

The extra exercise is much better for her stomach condition and the wild diet will be much better for her too.

ive read through the whole thing, and the first thing that came to my head was, if she doesnt like bunny company, and she doesnt like human company then theres no point making out she was would be happier indoors because she would have humans around - if she doesnt like them.

Some bunnies prefer to be on their own, at least for now. In the future, she may mellow a bit etc, and you could try a new friend for her, but i think if she doesnt like any form of company, then maybe shes actually happier on her own completly

I look at it, from this perspective. If all three of my bunnies fell out, what would I do. I know i couldnt rehome them, i wouldnt think "oh if i rehome x, then y could have a friend", i just couldnt do it. We all have the possiblities that our bunnies could fall out, and i dont think anybody can say what they would do in the situation.

We all know how much u have tried to get them to be friends, at least snowdrop has a large space all to herself :)

Back