• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezing help :(

KCG

Warren Veteran
Hello to everyone,
Cookie has been sneezing once a day for a few days as if he's got dust in his nose and then he cleans his nose and face. Do you think this is normal or is it a sign of illness? I'm very worried :(

https://youtu.be/v0W_7B8K7Ps

So he doesn't do that much. He does this 1-3 times a day. Do you think I am worrying unnecessarily?

Is there any discharge from his nose? Check his "wrists" - is the fur crusty or stained at all? if no to these questions & its not too frequent I wouldn't worry. I sneeze several times a day when healthy so presumably rabbits arent hugely different

Is there any discharge from his nose? Check his "wrists" - is the fur crusty or stained at all? if no to these questions & its not too frequent I wouldn't worry. I sneeze several times a day when healthy so presumably rabbits arent hugely different

He's breathing easy. I'm not sure if his nose is wet, I got it very wet once but I wasn't sure if it was while drinking water. But then he never had a wet nose again. Since I haven't looked at the inside of his front paws before, I couldn't tell if there is felting, the color is a little yellow, Is this a sign? But normally his paws were never as white as snow.

I wouldn't be worried at once or twice a day sneezing. Just monitor for now, and check for nasal discharge and staining on his 'wrists' from where he may have cleaned off any discharge. Maybe take photos now, so you have something to compare with in a few days?

I wouldn't be worried at once or twice a day sneezing. Just monitor for now, and check for nasal discharge and staining on his 'wrists' from where he may have cleaned off any discharge. Maybe take photos now, so you have something to compare with in a few days?

That's very smart, thank you so much. :)

I'm going to take him to the vet because I don't feel comfortable. Do I need to have extra tests at the vet? X-ray, blood test etc.??

When I've had sneezy buns the first vet consult usually gives antibiotics, if these don't work then a swab is taken to test for bacteria in order to give the correct antibiotics if any is found. A swab is uncomfortable as needs to go deep and likely won't be able to be done in an awake rabbit so sedation/GA is needed. If it's a dry sneeze/no bacteria is found then further investigations can be done but hopefully shouldn't be needed

Thank you all for your answers and interest. We're on our way home from the vet now. The vet said the cookie had nothing, He didn't have a runny nose, congestion or respiratory distress, nothing allergies. The vet said, Cookie is shedding from the heat-related stress and is sneezing from time to time due to it. We will continue to use only vitamins. Thank Allah, elhamdullilah :)

I've only just caught up with your latest update, so pleased that Cookie is ok, I hope the vet has put your mind at rest x

Back