• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezey Snotty Bunny

Ross

Warren Scout
:wave:
So our little Declan has just got back from the vets (Nothing Serious) he's been sneezy recently and had some snot today, so we got him checked out and the vet said his lungs etc, are all clear and its probably just a bacterial build up in the nose, so he's got his medicine, but unfortunately he has to be separated from his partner Marnie (They have a very close bond, the best of friends) for 5 days!

Does anyone think this could affect their bond? or is it not long enough, or any advice? the longest they have ever been separated for was overnight, and he was in the pen right next to the hutch so they could still see each other and sit near each other through the bars and door wires (and we slept downstairs with them). But at the moment ones upstairs and the others downstairs in the hutch.

any advice guys? or is it really not worth worrying to much about?

So our little Declan has just got back from the vets (Nothing Serious) he's been sneezy recently and had some snot today, so we got him checked out and the vet said his lungs etc, are all clear and its probably just a bacterial build up in the nose, so he's got his medicine, but unfortunately he has to be separated from his partner Marnie (They have a very close bond, the best of friends) for 5 days!

Does anyone think this could affect their bond? or is it not long enough, or any advice? the longest they have ever been separated for was overnight, and he was in the pen right next to the hutch so they could still see each other and sit near each other through the bars and door wires (and we slept downstairs with them). But at the moment ones upstairs and the others downstairs in the hutch.

What reason did your vet give for separating them? I have never separated my rabbits when one has been ill.

Hello

Whilst I am am not advising you to go against your Vet's advice
personally I have never separated a bonded pair if one exhibits symptoms of an upper respiratory tract infection ('Snuffles') In every occasion this has happened over my 22 years of keeping Rabbits the other Rabbit has never become symptomatic, although of course that does not mean they were not carriers of the bacteria. Stress exacerbates Snuffles and in my unqualified opinion it is stressful to separate a bonded pair. And of course disease transmission will almost certainly have already occurred so I cant really see the point..................... :?

I am wondering how Rabbit Savvy your Vet is as with Snuffles the course of abx treatment usually needs to be for much longer than 5 days. Treatment needs to continue for at least 48 hours after all clinical symptoms have resolved

https://www.veterinarywebinars.com/...oads/2016/03/Study_Notes_Ear_Nose_Rabbits.pdf

But I emphasise that this is just my personal unqualified opinion based on my 22 years experience of keeping Rabbits

As to whether separating Declan and Marnie will effect their bond, it's impossible to say for certain. If they are to be separated because your Vet deems it essential then there is not the option of keeping them side by side either. Or really even in the same room/ area of a garden. Barrier Nursing will be needed too, so attending to Marnie first then Declan, Using disposable aprons and gloves when handling Declan, Using different cleaning equipment for their accommodation etc....etc..

I guess it's a case of wait and see how they react to each other when you eventually try to introduce them. You may need to start the bonding process from scratch on neutral territory.

I hope Declan recovers quickly :)

Last edited:
Thank you both..

I didnt personally take him to the vets as I was at work, but we went to the local vets, that we not acctually a fan of, as ours (same company, different branch) was fully booked for a good few days.

I thought it was rather odd that we where told to isolate him incase of contamination, which is why I posted.. as I knew the stress it could cause, especially with such a close bond.

I'm thinking mabey my best bet would to mabey put them back together and monitor Declan as normal, and keep a close eye on Marnie aswell incase of symptoms, she quite a sneezy but my anyway, which we've wasted loads of money on makeing sure shes over the last two years.

Then try and get a vets appointment for Wednesday (the 5th day) with our normal practice..

Would you say that's a reasonable plan? Or is there anything sounding wrong with that? I'm genuinely not sure on what to do...

Thank you both..

I didnt personally take him to the vets as I was at work, but we went to the local vets, that we not acctually a fan of, as ours (same company, different branch) was fully booked for a good few days.

I thought it was rather odd that we where told to isolate him incase of contamination, which is why I posted.. as I knew the stress it could cause, especially with such a close bond.

I'm thinking mabey my best bet would to mabey put them back together and monitor Declan as normal, and keep a close eye on Marnie aswell incase of symptoms, she quite a sneezy but my anyway, which we've wasted loads of money on makeing sure shes over the last two years.

Then try and get a vets appointment for Wednesday (the 5th day) with our normal practice..

Would you say that's a reasonable plan? Or is there anything sounding wrong with that? I'm genuinely not sure on what to do...

So Marnie has been sneezing too anyway ?

Whatever, I personally would not separate them and I would get them both seen by a more Rabbit Savvy Vet ASAP. I assume that apart from the sneezing they are well within themselves; eating, pooing, drinking and weeing as normal and as active as normal ?

I am wondering if there is something in their environment which is irritating their noses? Woodshavings, smoke, dusty hay or food, not enough fresh air maybe? Air fresheners can irritate the nose. I agree to putting them back together and hope Declan gets better.

They are fully okay in themselfs tbh, they have hay as bedding and we hoover alot, and constantly have the doors and windows open to air out the house,

I'm gonna re join them, and call up the normal vet, who we fully trust, whose not been available

Thank you guys!

Back