• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Smoking, Nicotine Smell and Rabbits

I don't smoke, but if I've been cleaning and using bleach none of my bunnies will take a treat from me.

If the Doe is bonded to her other Rabbit then why cant she just accept that the Doe is not a 'people orientated' Rabbit :?

Surley she would not split them up :cry:

This

I smoked for a long time and never had a problem with any of mine eating from my hands. But then I used to and still do wash my hands especially if I am feeding them, kind of thought everyone did that so. Can she not try washing her hands and see if it makes any difference?

It might just be the bunny? Scarlett won't accept anything from my brother and he doesn't smoke where as Trip tends to ignore my mum and she also doesn't smoke. Just because a rabbit is friendly with one person doesn't mean they will automatically be like that with everyone :wave:

I don't think washing hands gets rid of all of the smell if she is a heavy smoker. Everything on them smells, and even I can smell a smoker when they are somewhere near me. Bunnies have much more sensitive noses.

My two were disgusted with me when I offered them a treat after eating salt n vinegar crisps (even though I'd washed my hands) :oops:

Sounds like a very difficult situation with this bunny :(
I hope things work out. But if she does end up going back into rescue fingers crossed for a perfect forever home for her.

Washing your hands doesn't completely get rid of the smell of a lot of things though, most perfume absolutely stinks, at my old work you could smell hairspray from the girl 4 desks away it could be a number of things. Its just common sense to wash your hands before you touch animals especially when feeding them anyways

I didn't read the thread properly because didn't see that she is a heavy smoker. Was just pointing out that I never had any problems with my own pets reacting to me when I have smoked. And my rabbits have reacted in this way to people who do not smoke so, Smirnoff and the rats do it too. They take to some people and ignore others sometimes and they don't all like being hand fed. Its possible its not that she smells so bad the poor bunny can't stand to be near her, but that she hasn't got the cuddly rabbit she was expecting

My cat didn't go near certain people, either, I never knew why. Would be interesting to know. It's not enough that someone doesn't like a certain animal, because I don't like dogs, and they all come running to me. :roll: :lol:

My cat didn't go near certain people, either, I never knew why. Would be interesting to know. It's not enough that someone doesn't like a certain animal, because I don't like dogs, and they all come running to me. :roll: :lol:

Same! :lol: I tend to get dogs running up to me in public places I am sure they can tell a mile off that I am scared of them :shock: :lol: There are a few people who come round that Smirnoff will completely ignore but then others she won't leave them alone. The rats are the same, they will be fine with some people and just don't want to know others so pay no attention

Not all bunnies like being hand fed either so, Buu would quite happily let me hold her dinner while she ate it but the others have always grabbed the food and run like I am going to take it back again :roll: :lol: Scarlett doesn't like eating even a couple of pellets if I am holding them

Back