• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Small poops always stasis?

Can’t quote for some reason.

Omi- Omg iv been checking regularly as she’s been chewing it so much and didn’t find any thing although doesn’t mean she didn’t get to any :(

I get that. Poor Beauty. It’s just so upsetting to see her like this. If she’s no better I will be taking her back tomorrow.

I thought that may be the case. I think I will get some but see how the metacam is helping her and if she increases her eating with it. The herbs will be a last option though and if she stops eating altogether.The pooing has slowed down again although she did go like a champ this morning just not much since about 12ish. She is taking small nibbles of hay and some pellets but not much.

Here’s hoping the metacam helps

You will probably never know the cause of the stasis, if it is the carrot patch toy you shouldn’t blame yourself, after all the toy is sold as suitable to rabbits. And it might be fine for most rabbits. Frosty, my rabbit, will eat cardboard if I give him a box, and that causes his gut to slow down, so consequently he doesn’t get cardboard boxes anymore, but lots of other people on here can give their rabbits cardboard boxes without any issues! There’s those carrot cottages that some people can get their bunnies, but I daren't risk them with Frosty!

Sending more vibes for Beauty xx

Can’t quote for some reason.

Omi- Omg iv been checking regularly as she’s been chewing it so much and didn’t find any thing although doesn’t mean she didn’t get to any :(

I get that. Poor Beauty. It’s just so upsetting to see her like this. If she’s no better I will be taking her back tomorrow.

Hi Lisa

I've been away for the afternoon so haven't read your PM yet. I shall do so asap.

I wouldn't blame yourself because with rabbits they are so mysterious that it's most times impossible to now why they go into stasis. I think many rabbit owners would concur with that!

I will get back to you shortly. I am glad you've got the Metacam, but if you haven't already, I would press for some gut motility drugs to use at home. Also, if you have to go back to the vet, ask for a blood glucose test. Reason why here:

Blood glucose is measured in mmol/ml (millimoles/litre)

Normal: 4-8 mmol/ml

2-4 mmol/ltr – needs food – rabbit is experiencing gut stasis
If less that 2 mmol/ltr, call vet

8-15 mmol/ltr Rabbit is stressed, but can stay at home
More than 15mmol/ltr, less than 20 – Call vet, start to worry…
More than 20 mmol/ltr, needs surgery.

Happy to help with this ... I shall now reply to your PM and hope you and Brandi are OK? xx

I try not to blame myself it’s just hard.

Zoobec- I almost feel like taking it all away I know I can’t though and my luck would be it would still happen. Frosty is lucky to have such a knowing and attentive owner.

MightyMax- they will only give the medication for her gut via injection and they are saying she can’t have more untill tomorrow.

If we go back to the vets I will definantly ask for the blood glucose test.

Zoobec- I almost feel like taking it all away I know I can’t though and my luck would be it would still happen. Frosty is lucky to have such a knowing and attentive owner.

MightyMax- they will only give the medication for her gut via injection and they are saying she can’t have more untill tomorrow.

You are very attentive, and you’ve not had the benefit of having them long enough to know what is normal for them, and what you can let have without affecting them. I’m sorry that you are going through this just after getting them :cry:

I’m sending more vibes for Beauty and hugs to you, you are doing a great job and you should be proud of that xx

Understood, I shall get back to you about this later this evening xx

Zoobec- most of what I know is from here although I did reasearch before befor joining it doesn’t compare to talking to people who have experience. I have picked up so much and it’s really helped with spotting things. Some times I lurk and just read other times When i feel comftable I comment.

MightyMax- thank you.

Omi- Beauty is eating a little bit more and although the size isn’t improving she is pooping a bit more. She seems to store it up and do it at certain points. I gave her the metacam which was rather easy today then I put her down and she pooped for about a full five minutes making a huge mess of the hall but I was happy to see it. She’s hopping around at the moment and making a lot of noise with Harlequine but totally avoided me in the hall for an hr lol I have seen her drink so that’s good.

I’m really pleased Beauty is still on the road to recovery. I think the metacam will have helped a lot. Fortunately most rabbits love the taste of it which makes administering it an awful lot easier!

With a gut stasis episode it can take a few days for the poops to get back to their normal size. The most important thing for the time being is that she’s producing a lot of them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds a lot more positive :) Yes, rabbits usually love Metacam as it's very sweet. My rabbits have tried to lick it out of another rabbit's mouth after I've given it :lol: I don't think you'll have problems giving it to her.

Drinking is good and so is eating and pooping more :thumb:

Zoobec- most of what I know is from here although I did reasearch before befor joining it doesn’t compare to talking to people who have experience. I have picked up so much and it’s really helped with spotting things. Some times I lurk and just read other times When i feel comftable I comment.

MightyMax- thank you.

Omi- Beauty is eating a little bit more and although the size isn’t improving she is pooping a bit more. She seems to store it up and do it at certain points. I gave her the metacam which was rather easy today then I put her down and she pooped for about a full five minutes making a huge mess of the hall but I was happy to see it. She’s hopping around at the moment and making a lot of noise with Harlequine but totally avoided me in the hall for an hr lol I have seen her drink so that’s good.

Hey you're welcome :)

I'm pleased to hear things seem to be going in the right direction. And I hope you both are coping a bit better with it, and aren't so worried?

Metacam has a 'honey odour' according to the data sheet, so it's really pleasant for them to take. Most rabbits *love* it :lol:

Scrappys little helper- I think your right. Iv seen her at the hay quiet a bit in the last 2 hours and that’s only since the metacam.
I’m being held hostage as I don’t want to interrupt her eating and they have run of the hall way I’m not getting much done but I don’t mind. They both run when I walk through.
I’m glad they like the taste. It means she won’t get so stressed when giving it :)

Omi- oh wow that sounds rather moorish in a rabbit way from their reaction. Well it went down easy so I was much happier using the syringe today.

MightyMax- not quiet as worried just hoping it stays on the up now as it’s been up and down last few days but she’s getting up to much more mischief now which is never a bad thing :)
Iv given up on the litter training for a few days as she was more tempted by hay on the floor then in boxes and the litter tray.
Will definantly be swapping over vets again though.

metacam does taste really nice, I have experience :) :lol:

I can blame that on Snoopy, he was quite the fighter and many times i ended up with medicine squirted on me, sometimes my face if I was unlucky, or on my lips.

There was not a single drop wasted so I believe you binkycodie :)

Iv just been given the run around for the last half hour trying to get the little blighters to bed for the night. First time that’s happened. I found the diggy box up turned and contents every where, hay half way up the walls ( don’t ask me how I wasn’t watching) large cardboard hidy on it’s side, water covered half the floor and a hall way full of poop. I think I can say we’re on our way back to narmality lol

There was not a single drop wasted so I believe you binkycodie :)

Iv just been given the run around for the last half hour trying to get the little blighters to bed for the night. First time that’s happened. I found the diggy box up turned and contents every where, hay half way up the walls ( don’t ask me how I wasn’t watching) large cardboard hidy on it’s side, water covered half the floor and a hall way full of poop. I think I can say we’re on our way back to narmality lol

:shock:

You have your work cut out with these two, that's for sure :lol:

Having said that, I have found poop on the ceiling.
Heaven only knows how it got there :lol:

Oh wow now that is some thing. To be honest I can’t wait to see what they get up to next it’s like a whirl wind of activity when they are up to myschief.
Iv seen lots of nibbling already this morning so it’s a good start.
I also can’t wait to get them started on some hurbs and veg

Back