• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Size of Dog Kennel for a group of 4?

Alfagirl

Mama Doe
Hey all,

The plan for next year is to bond our two pairs into a group of four (*crosses fingers*) so I'm starting to think about accomodation already!

Do you think that a 10ft X 6ft dog kennel would be big enough? So the inside area will be 4ft X 6ft (24ft square) and the run area will be 6ft X 6ft (36ft square).
I would add a shelf to the inside with a cosy box underneath for them to cuddle up in.

We're looking at something like this....
96e89e290611561814fabece89d704c0.image.225x179.jpg

I want something that will be easy for me to clean out, moveable, VERY secure (I'm a worrier) and that the buns will be happy in.

Please give me your thoughts/oppinions/advice!!

Helllo, I am a new member to the forum. Therefore, I have not become accustomed to everyone's 'extended familly members'. Would you mind telling me a little bit about your family? For example, breeds etc. . .

However, I believe a 10ft x 6ft dog kennel would be of an adequate size for four rabbits.

:wave: My 2 pairs were bonded into 4 recently - i also looked at the Dog Kennels - I really like them! I suppose with regards to size - just get as big as you can fit / afford!

I went for a 7 x 5 shed in the end with avairy panals attached (made the avairy ourselves) the avairy is roughly about 12 x 8 though narrows down to about 5ft down one end! They love that space and theres certainly enough room for them!
I went for this because if I move again - It is all transferable and hopefully with the panals I can adapt it into any shape...
Its difficult isnt it, I think Dog kennels are good as they are sheltered and look really cosy :D

:wave: My 2 pairs were bonded into 4 recently - i also looked at the Dog Kennels - I really like them! I suppose with regards to size - just get as big as you can fit / afford!

I went for a 7 x 5 shed in the end with avairy panals attached (made the avairy ourselves) the avairy is roughly about 12 x 8 though narrows down to about 5ft down one end! They love that space and theres certainly enough room for them!
I went for this because if I move again - It is all transferable and hopefully with the panals I can adapt it into any shape...
Its difficult isnt it, I think Dog kennels are good as they are sheltered and look really cosy :D

We looked at the dog kennels because I thought that it would be quite sheltered with the three sides - we will be moving and the buns will have to go wherever they fit - so wanted something sturdy and sheltered.

I would build my own, but with my OHs new job, he will be away a lot, and I'm not very good at garden-type DIY.:oops:
They do make them in up to 14ft lengths, it's just that we won't know how big our new garden will be until just before we move. It's a bit of a nightmare actually!

Thanks for your input! Glad your four are having fun together - I'd love to see my two pairs all snuggled together!

Helllo, I am a new member to the forum. Therefore, I have not become accustomed to everyone's 'extended familly members'. Would you mind telling me a little bit about your family? For example, breeds etc. . .

However, I believe a 10ft x 6ft dog kennel would be of an adequate size for four rabbits.

Hi :wave:

Our buns are in two pairs at the moment, Tibbsy and Echo live downstairs, and Oliver and Maisey live upstairs.

Tibbsy is a medium sized dwarf lop femaile, Echo is a smaller mixed breed male, he has mainly Polish characteristics.
Oliver is another dwarf lop, though a bit smaller than Tibbsy, and Maisey is a dinky little mixed breed.

They would have free-range time in the rest of the garden (once bunny-proofed) at evenings and weekends.

I would love to keep them inside, but it's just not feesable at all. :(

If I were you I'd wait until you were moved and assess what space you have then, that way you can really make the most of the space - the larger the better really.

I'd be tempted to go with a shed and a run made up of panels, that way you can add or remove panels to make the run the right size wherever you put it.

If I were you I'd wait until you were moved and assess what space you have then, that way you can really make the most of the space - the larger the better really.

I'd be tempted to go with a shed and a run made up of panels, that way you can add or remove panels to make the run the right size wherever you put it.

Ideally, this is what I would like to do, but we can't move until the end of September next year, and I wanted to move the buns out before the weather gets horrible (we're in the far north).

We might look at shed/aviary combos too, I just wanted to gather some oppinions on sizes.

Hi :wave:

Our buns are in two pairs at the moment, Tibbsy and Echo live downstairs, and Oliver and Maisey live upstairs.

Tibbsy is a medium sized dwarf lop femaile, Echo is a smaller mixed breed male, he has mainly Polish characteristics.
Oliver is another dwarf lop, though a bit smaller than Tibbsy, and Maisey is a dinky little mixed breed.

They would have free-range time in the rest of the garden (once bunny-proofed) at evenings and weekends.

I would love to keep them inside, but it's just not feesable at all. :(

They sound absolutely gorgeous!

If Tibbsy, Echo, Oliver and Maisey were, for example, British Giants, I would suggest slightly larger accommodation. However, I believe the above dog kennel provides the ideal amount of size for four very lucky rabbits!

I'd go for the kennel most because of how cosy it is, so even their run time is nice, sheltered and warm. I'd also wait until you move before buying 'cause then it wont be too big etc.

Back