• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Caring for a "head tilt" rabbit

hoppetylop

Mama Doe
Any feedback/advice will be very welcome. I have taken in a rabbit with quite severe head tilt. He is vaccinated but not yet neutered which I will rectify in the coming days. Head tilt was apparently caused by e.cunniculi which he was treated for a year ago. As a purely temporary measure he is in a 160x90 cm cage. I will obviously provide him with bigger/better accomodation asap. He's otherwise healthy,has a great appetite,is good with his hay and he doesn't roll. He has perfect control of his body and gets about very well.
I have dealt with all sorts of bunny health issues including e.cunniculi before but never head tilt. Info on the internet is a bit scant for "care of",it tends to be more "causes and effects"
Many thanks

I would insure he has a pre op assessment by a Rabbit savvy Vet prior to proceeding with neutering. EC can cause permant head tilt, but so can an un resolved middle ear infection. Certain pre op extra precautions might be required such as another course of Fenbendazole and/ or prophylactic antibiotic cover. It would be helpful for the Vet doing the neuter to have full access to his previous clinical records. With Head Tilt a GA is more risky and it can worsen the symptom, at least initially.

As for long term care needs

https://www.theeducatedrabbit.com/caring-for-head-tilt-rabbits.html

I would insure he has a pre op assessment by a Rabbit savvy Vet prior to proceeding with neutering. EC can cause permant head tilt, but so can an un resolved middle ear infection. Certain pre op extra precautions might be required such as another course of Fenbendazole and/ or prophylactic antibiotic cover. It would be helpful for the Vet doing the neuter to have full access to his previous clinical records. With Head Tilt a GA is more risky and it can worsen the symptom, at least initially.

As for long term care needs

https://www.theeducatedrabbit.com/caring-for-head-tilt-rabbits.html

Thank you so much. My vet is rabbit savvy,luckily and I will discuss the points you have made.
The link is very interesting. I think Milo is very fortunate to have such good control over his movements and has obviously adapted well as he never rolls and runs and jumps quite normally. I'm going to use vet bed for his future pen floor which I will start building tomorrow now I know more about his housing needs.
I will have a chat to my vet but am assuming that bonding him with another rabbit cannot be an option for him?

Thank you so much. My vet is rabbit savvy,luckily and I will discuss the points you have made.
The link is very interesting. I think Milo is very fortunate to have such good control over his movements and has obviously adapted well as he never rolls and runs and jumps quite normally. I'm going to use vet bed for his future pen floor which I will start building tomorrow now I know more about his housing needs.
I will have a chat to my vet but am assuming that bonding him with another rabbit cannot be an option for him?

Bonding is possible, with the right Rabbit. It can be difficult for another Rabbit to ‘read’ a head tilt Rabbit’s body language. Bonding is certainly not something I would rule out :)

I had a bunny with head tilt, and although he had ongoing health issues as a result he was a happy chap, and was able to get around like a normal bun, although he wouldn't go too fast anywhere. My boy had nerve damage in his face which caused dental issues, he did have to have GA to have his spurs burred down relatively regularly. It was a big worry for me but luckily he bounced back quickly. His other problems made me realise that we wouldn't have long with him, so I just made him as comfortable as I could for the time we had him. I was also lucky that he was already bonded and his wifey looked after him, I'm sure she knew he needed extra help. I hope your boy can be bonded and have a happy future!

I had a bunny with head tilt, and although he had ongoing health issues as a result he was a happy chap, and was able to get around like a normal bun, although he wouldn't go too fast anywhere. My boy had nerve damage in his face which caused dental issues, he did have to have GA to have his spurs burred down relatively regularly. It was a big worry for me but luckily he bounced back quickly. His other problems made me realise that we wouldn't have long with him, so I just made him as comfortable as I could for the time we had him. I was also lucky that he was already bonded and his wifey looked after him, I'm sure she knew he needed extra help. I hope your boy can be bonded and have a happy future!

Thank you for this. It sounds like your bunny had a lovely life with you. I have been wondering about dental complications as I'm imagining that hay will tend to be chewed on the lower part of his head if you see what I mean.
I'm sorry you couldn't have long with your boy but lovely that he was bonded and with you as well as his wifey and he had the best of both worlds.

Back