• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sick Pumpkin :(

They said it must have been an underlying cause. I am sending him for post-mortem at the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons tomorrow, I will drive myself insane otherwise. Even if they don't find anything, it will put my mind at rest.

Pumpkin was bonded with Pippin, at the moment Pippin is coping well.

I hope the PM will provide some answers as to 'why' :cry: I too would need to try to find out as I always find the not knowing harder to deal with than the knowing.

I suspect a Liver problem, but that is purely a hunch. I cannot tell you how sorry I am :cry:

I think Pippin has now realised :cry: she wouldn't eat her pellets but he is eating hay. She has just eaten a couple of pellets but they'd be totally gone by now :( is there anything I can do to help her? She doesn't want fusses

I think Pippin has now realised :cry: she wouldn't eat her pellets but he is eating hay. She has just eaten a couple of pellets but they'd be totally gone by now :( is there anything I can do to help her? She doesn't want fusses

I think she will just need time to adjust. No Rabbit will deal with loss in the same way, they are all individuals. Some do perk up in a totally new environment, others prefer the familiarity of the accommodation they shared with their now deceased friend. Some seem to need reminders of their friend, for some that makes things worse. Just try to go with what Pippin wants, as I am sure you will xx

I hope the PM will provide some answers as to 'why' :cry: I too would need to try to find out as I always find the not knowing harder to deal with than the knowing.

I suspect a Liver problem, but that is purely a hunch. I cannot tell you how sorry I am :cry:

Just thought I'd let you know that I got the PM results back a while ago and it was found that he had abnormal tissues in his heart and the pressure of the sedation would have been too much for it to cope with. The episodes of 'pain' he was having could have been arrhythmias but that's purely a suggestion. A 'pure bred first in show stud mini rex' with a heart problem :cry:

Just thought I'd let you know that I got the PM results back a while ago and it was found that he had abnormal tissues in his heart and the pressure of the sedation would have been too much for it to cope with. The episodes of 'pain' he was having could have been arrhythmias but that's purely a suggestion. A 'pure bred first in show stud mini rex' with a heart problem :cry:

:cry:

Sadly Rexes are very prone to heart disease. I have had 7 :cry:

:cry:

Sadly Rexes are very prone to heart disease. I have had 7 :cry:

Heartbreaking.

If it's hereditary he could have passed it on to loads of babies when he was being used as a stud :(

Can't thank you enough for your support through all of this.

Binky free Pumpkin x

Heartbreaking.

If it's hereditary he could have passed it on to loads of babies when he was being used as a stud :(

Can't thank you enough for your support through all of this.

Binky free Pumpkin x

Yes, two of my effected Rexes were brothers, neither made it to their 3rd Birthday :cry: I informed the Breeder as soon as the problem was diagnosed,when the brothers were just over a year old. But she refused to listen and continued to breed from the exact same line :cry:

Yes, two of my effected Rexes were brothers, neither made it to their 3rd Birthday :cry: I informed the Breeder as soon as the problem was diagnosed,when the brothers were just over a year old. But she refused to listen and continued to breed from the exact same line :cry:

That's so irresponsible and sad :(

and people wonder why we're so against breeding :(

I just saw this update. Poor Pumpkin. :(
I think heart disease scares me the most especially for Fiver, since he's a minirex, and it's hard to diagnose (I think it needs an ultrasound, it isn't necessarily detectable by stethoscope). I'm sorry this was the case with Pumkpin but I hope it brings some closure for you knowing the cause. ((((((((Huge hugs)))))))))
Thinking of you and Pippin and your two other cuties, Luna and Frank. xxxx

Thank you MimzMum you're so lovely. I hope so much that heart disease never effects Fiver. Also thank you for your support around the time that Pumpkin was sick xxx

Back