• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Should I let my baby go or keep fighting? U/D He has gone :,(

ginge1

Young Bun
Digby was diagnosed with growths around the exit of his bladder on Saturday. It caused him to display symptoms of GI stasis. He is approx. 9 years old with a vast medical history mainly due to EC. The vet said due to these factors it was best not to do something heroic with surgery, & instead upped his pain relief to the max. daily does for his weight.

I managed to stabilize him somewhat, & get him eating a little & drinking. He was passing faeces & urine intermittently up until last night. He is now dehydrated (although he has drunk a little of his own accord first thing this morning, & he has taken approx. 5 syringes of water from me) He is still quite feisty & has been face & ear washing, but I can tell he is in pain despite having his full pain relief dose this morning.

I don't know what to do for the best. I know the growths aren't going to simply disappear, & given his age & general health know he would not do well with invasive surgery. Should I keep on persevering with his meds & take him into the vet for subcutaneous fluids & another metaclop injection (I have injections of it at home but he's too dehydrated at the moment to get a scruff properly)? Or should I let him go? I love him with all my heart. I am so conflicted about what's the best thing to do for him. :cry

Last edited:
At the end of the day, it's all your decision; but maybe if he is just going to keep suffering, you should let him go before he gets any worse. Have a think about it, but if still gunna be in pain and the meds stop working, it might be nicer for him to prevent further suffering. :cry:

I am really sorry to hear that Digby is very poorly. I do agree with the Vet's thinking re invasive surgery.

Only you can judge how much 'fight' he has remaining, you know him better than anyone. If you feel that today is not the day, then perhaps it would help him to have sub/cut fluids for 24 hours and maybe an additional analgesic such as Tramadol. If after a couple more days he shows no signs of being more comfortable then maybe you will feel it is his time.

A blood profile could give some indication on how his kidneys and liver are functioning, but personally I am not sure I would opt for having bloods taken. The procedure is stressful for a Rabbit and in reality it is not going to provide any more treatment options.

I cant tell you what is the 'right' thing to do for Digby, as I have said only you really know him and your Vet should also be able to offer her professional opinion.

I totally understand what a distressing time this is for you :cry: I do hope that Digby can remain as comfortable and peaceful as possible xx

Hi
As written above by Jane, this must be awful for you. I had a 12 year old Bun, Rosie and I just knew when I had to let her go to stop the suffering for her. You will know when the time is right, thinking of you

*Massive hugs* Only you can decide, as everybody else as said. You know your bun more than anybody and only you can judge his quality of life. It is a hard decision to make. x

I am really sorry to hear that Digby is very poorly. I do agree with the Vet's thinking re invasive surgery.

Only you can judge how much 'fight' he has remaining, you know him better than anyone. If you feel that today is not the day, then perhaps it would help him to have sub/cut fluids for 24 hours and maybe an additional analgesic such as Tramadol. If after a couple more days he shows no signs of being more comfortable then maybe you will feel it is his time.

A blood profile could give some indication on how his kidneys and liver are functioning, but personally I am not sure I would opt for having bloods taken. The procedure is stressful for a Rabbit and in reality it is not going to provide any more treatment options.

I cant tell you what is the 'right' thing to do for Digby, as I have said only you really know him and your Vet should also be able to offer her professional opinion.

I totally understand what a distressing time this is for you :cry: I do hope that Digby can remain as comfortable and peaceful as possible xx

this :wave: xxx

Thank you so much to you all for your words of kindness & support. It means so much to know there are others out there who love their buns as much as I do.

Digby went to sleep this afternoon at 12:45. Our regular vet who hadn't seen Digby for a few months said she could see he had deteriorated during that time. She said the mass had become larger & he was starting to lose weight & muscle in his hind legs. He didn't cope well on the 20 minute journey to the vet & I knew I couldn't put him through any more pain & stress. He's always been such a little trooper & fought through so much, he was even licking us last night & tooth purring when we face-fussed him. Such an amazing little guy.

I miss him so much already. The house is so quiet & empty without my little baby. He will always be in my heart, but I just wish he was here with me now so I could kiss his face & tell him I love him :cry:

You made a very selfless and brave decision for Digby. You put his needs before your own and granted him the final gift of love. I know how wretched you must be feeling now, even if you know there was no other option :cry:

Farewell for now Digby, another Bunny Angel has joined the special warren at Rainbow Bridge xx

Bunnies though small leave a gap so very big when they depart... :cry:

I'm so very sorry you lost your brave bunny Digby.

Sending hugs.xxx

so very sorry :cry: you did such a kind thing for him, recognising when the right time was. sleep tight little one, you were clearly loved dearly and will be missed. xxx

So sorry. I was in the same situation in May and it's incredibly hard but I'm sure Digby would be so grateful to you for making this brave decision.

Back