• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Shaking rabbit super stressed

It sounds like a posative improvement. Some times just feeling safe is enough and if that can be done with cuddles that’s good. I got sooo soppy with Harlequin the other night when she got stressed so the cuddles helped us both.

Sounds like Penelope is doing her best to help to.

Hopping she keeps inproving xx

I'm glad she seems to be getting over it. I assume if she'd been in shock she'd have cold ears so warm sounds good to inexperienced me

Just caught your thread ! I really hope Apricot had a good night, and is ok this morning, you too ! What a shock for you both xx

Thanks everyone :) she's a lot better, seems pretty normal now, although she isn't eating treats which is really not like her :/ she takes them off me and carries them away and sets them down.. But won't eat them :( Penelope ends up eating them [emoji38]

She's eating little bits of hay though so Idk really.. She's more Apricot like but not fully herself.. And the eating worries me tbh

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I’m glad she is seeming better, as you say the eating is a bit worrying though. Did the vet make any suggestions? Is she eating any other foods?

I’m glad she’s a bit better. Did you go to the vets? Have you tried her with fave veg. Sounded like she was super stressed last night so might take a little while but I would monitor her eating and try tempting with lots of different face foods. Hope she starts eating soon for you xx

I’m glad she is seeming better, as you say the eating is a bit worrying though. Did the vet make any suggestions? Is she eating any other foods?
I’m glad she’s a bit better. Did you go to the vets? Have you tried her with fave veg. Sounded like she was super stressed last night so might take a little while but I would monitor her eating and try tempting with lots of different face foods. Hope she starts eating soon for you xx
So I spoke to a vets last night their advice was to keep her home, unless anything got worse.. although I must admit I don't value their opinion much tbh, bad as that sounds.. I don't even like my vets out of hours [emoji38] neither does my vet tho by the sounds of it [emoji38]

Anyway I didn't take her with me this morning when I went with the hamster, because she'd really improved and I didn't wanna stress her out again. I was at home today, so figured if anything changed I could drive her straight over there tbh.

So I just gave her a treat she zoomed over and ate it, so I'm hoping this means she's feeling much more Apricot like now [emoji7] her output seems fine, she has not stopped eating hay, it just slowed down a bit, as far as I can see it's back to normal hay consumption now.. Still just going to see how she goes, I really don't wanna stress her out unless absolutely necessary, hope that's the right call though.. I always think that's a tough one to make tbh

Thank you both for asking xx

The scare might have slowed her gut down a bit but it sounds like she is getting back to normal. :thumb:

You know your rabbit best,sounds like you're doing the right thing.Obviously you'll be keeping an eye on her as a good bunny owner.x

I'm sorry Graciee - just caught up with this. I hope that Apricot is better now. It all sounds very stressful for you both and looking at the threads, in my opinion you did everything that you could, at the time, in a rational and sensible way. I also think the advice that others gave was spot on. Rabbits are very much a routine animal and if you watch them closely, they repeat everything they do, so having a routine amended or disrupted effects them very much. In Apricots case, she probably reacted in the 'fight or flight' analogy and she did flight. How to ease the symptoms should they arise again is the longer term issue. Reassurance with familiartity is good - and you did all that. Withdrawing her from the familiarity is probably not great as you then remove her from the comfort zone. You just need to try to keep things as much in her routine as possible, make a fuss of her, loads of treats and just monitor and be there. You are her reassurance so your presence will have meant alot to help her adjust.
Sorry - not much for you to go on but I hope she's ok now. x

I’m glad Apricot is back to eating normally again. It’s always a worry when they slow down with food. I think you did the right thing just keeping an eye.

I'm sorry Graciee - just caught up with this. I hope that Apricot is better now. It all sounds very stressful for you both and looking at the threads, in my opinion you did everything that you could, at the time, in a rational and sensible way. I also think the advice that others gave was spot on. Rabbits are very much a routine animal and if you watch them closely, they repeat everything they do, so having a routine amended or disrupted effects them very much. In Apricots case, she probably reacted in the 'fight or flight' analogy and she did flight. How to ease the symptoms should they arise again is the longer term issue. Reassurance with familiartity is good - and you did all that. Withdrawing her from the familiarity is probably not great as you then remove her from the comfort zone. You just need to try to keep things as much in her routine as possible, make a fuss of her, loads of treats and just monitor and be there. You are her reassurance so your presence will have meant alot to help her adjust.
Sorry - not much for you to go on but I hope she's ok now. x

No that's lots, I think you're right, when I brought them home Apricot really trusted me after a week, she's very attached to me, so even though with the other three I think leaving them alone and just being near ish would've been better for them, with her holding her seems to be the best thing. I've managed to get her to eat some greens tonight and she's eating more and more hay, but still seems easily spooked? Not as bad obviously, but I walked in with some shopping and she looked a bit spooked until I started talking.. I'm wondering if it's her eyes.. Penelope doesn't seem to have great eye sight.. Idk though, I normally talk to them when I enter the room, but I'm gunna need to make a habit of it I think just so she knows it's me etc and not a threat :)

No that's lots, I think you're right, when I brought them home Apricot really trusted me after a week, she's very attached to me, so even though with the other three I think leaving them alone and just being near ish would've been better for them, with her holding her seems to be the best thing. I've managed to get her to eat some greens tonight and she's eating more and more hay, but still seems easily spooked? Not as bad obviously, but I walked in with some shopping and she looked a bit spooked until I started talking.. I'm wondering if it's her eyes.. Penelope doesn't seem to have great eye sight.. Idk though, I normally talk to them when I enter the room, but I'm gunna need to make a habit of it I think just so she knows it's me etc and not a threat :)

Indeed - that is a great reassurance technique. I do the same each and every morning when I come downstairs and open the kitchen/diner. Hillian can't see me so I say "good morning" to them so they know it's a familiar voice. It'll take Apricot a few days - she has to process the events and rebuild up her trust and familiarisation again in much the same way we humans do. I'm sure there's been times at night when you've gone to bed worrying about something and you try to find a strategy to deal with it. Rabbits will be doing the same. She should be ok in a few days time. Sending hugs for her. xx

Indeed - that is a great reassurance technique. I do the same each and every morning when I come downstairs and open the kitchen/diner. Hillian can't see me so I say "good morning" to them so they know it's a familiar voice. It'll take Apricot a few days - she has to process the events and rebuild up her trust and familiarisation again in much the same way we humans do. I'm sure there's been times at night when you've gone to bed worrying about something and you try to find a strategy to deal with it. Rabbits will be doing the same. She should be ok in a few days time. Sending hugs for her. xx

Yea I hope so :) keeping a close eye on her, thanks Craig xx

Back