• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Settling in time and veggies

Thanks again. I'll keep with the extra for now as that's what breeder said and most websites. I can check with my vet too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My buns (17 weeks) have unlimited junior excel pellets, a selection of different hay, small amounts of fresh herbs and I'm gradually trying out kale, savoy cabbage and a little carrot. They are still growing, so I'll carry on with unlimited pellets until they're about 6 months old. As a treat I sprinkle Nature touch junior forage in their hay so they have to eat more hay to find it! (from PAH)

I would say 2-3 egg cups a day at that age. Personally, I wouldn't give unlimited. Especially not with muesli as he will just be picking his favourite bits and not getting the full array of nutrients.

Rose was around 10 weeks when I adopted her, and any more than that and she left cecals (indicating her diet was too rich). She is a medium sized adult.

Also, herbs etc are MUCH better for a rabbit than carrots (very high in sugar) so I'm a little confused by the breeder saying that. I would wait a couple of weeks to try anything, and even then very small (initial) amounts. Herbs/forage and not veg.

Last edited:
She said wet food could upset the tummy until he is older and more settled and fresh herbs would surely be classed as wet because they are similar to cabbage etc. he hasn't produced any cecals either. I'll ring the vets and see what he thinks. Thanks everyone for your help

She said wet food could upset the tummy until he is older and more settled and fresh herbs would surely be classed as wet because they are similar to cabbage etc. he hasn't produced any cecals either. I'll ring the vets and see what he thinks. Thanks everyone for your help

Herbs are much better for them than cabbage. But as I said I'd wait a few weeks and certainly not give any carrot.

Is your vet rabbit savvy?

So if I get some nice fresh basil and parsley for a few weeks time and just give him a little tiny bit at a time. Thanks again

If you've not seen any cecals then that's a good thing and he's producing enough to eat rather than too many therefore leaving some for you to find.
When I got our girls I kept seeing about cecals and worried that I'd never seen any, when actually not seeing any is a very good thing! (I've seen one in the 6/7 months we've had the girls).

Back