• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Serious Problem! U/D 22nd August / Coccidiosis Confirmed!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you suggesting that EB or EC has been passed from a human to the rabbits?

Its a bit advanced for me :oops:

Are you suggesting that E.B has been passed from a human to the rabbits?

(only read the first bit so far)

No, no not at all. But I am wondering if its EB as opposed to EC that is causing the gut problems in Rabbits? As the treatment protocol appears to be the same (Fenbendazole) I am just 'thinking out loud'. After all EC is ENCEPHALITIzoon Cuniculli implying the Brain/CNS is affected. EB is ENTEROCYTOZOON BIENEUSI implying the GI tract is affected

:? :?

Janex

Right Im with you now.

Either way it means Fenbendazole dosnt it? Is the gestation period shorted with EB, still trying to work out times past coincidence :?

A very interesting read. With mine, though, there has never been diarrhoea - only GI stasis. :? And one of them tested positive for EC.

I'm even starting to wonder if there are different strains of EC.

There seem to be SO many different symptoms of it.....which appear or fail to appear in SO many different combinations!:( I am hoping SO hard that that isn't what this is!!!:cry: :cry:

There seem to be SO many different symptoms of it.....which appear or fail to appear in SO many different combinations!:( I am hoping SO hard that that isn't what this is!!!:cry: :cry:

Compared with the alternatives I am actually hoping it is EC :cry:

Most diseases mutate and evolve so i imagine there is or will eventually be a variety of strains :?

Come on little bunsters X

Whose are the sick adults Louise? Its not the REW boys is it?

Surely those babies aren't old enough to have advanced E-c are they?

Do they go outside on grass at all? I'm wondering if rats could have contaminated the area maybe?

Well whatever has caused the outbreak I am sending stay strong vibes to Louise and healing vibes to the poorly Bunnies

Janex

No they were put together a few days after Trixie arrived and have been together ever since. Trixie is on a 5 day course of Panacur and is showing no symptoms.

Louise

Oh dear.....I really feel for you Louise, I just dont know what else to say :cry:

Is there anything I can do to help?

As far as I am aware Coccidiosis does not display itself as neuro symptoms so we are leaning towards EC and possibly some totally unrelated cases of bloat. We have no reason to suspect VHD.
I wouldn't rule it out completely, it was the first thing that crossed my mind. Because coccidiosis can affect the liver, it can cause neurological symptoms through 'blood poisoning' as it were. The intestinal cause is apparently quite common in young kits, especially ones who have been through some kind of stress like recent travel.

(Edit: yes read this - it does talk about neurological symptoms and secondary infections in the nervous system) http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Protozoal_diseases/coccidiosis_general.PDF

Unfortunately standard disinfectants don't kill the cysts, so if I were you I would try and find out what chemicals are able to kill the cysts (I think boiling water does, but probably not great for your carpets!) and use that as a preventative measure in any event - might as well take a belt & braces approach to trying to stop whatever it is from spreading.

Hope all the other bunnies are ok :cry:

I wouldn't rule it out completely, it was the first thing that crossed my mind. Because coccidiosis can affect the liver, it can cause neurological symptoms through 'blood poisoning' as it were. The intestinal cause is apparently quite common in young kits, especially ones who have been through some kind of stress like recent travel.

(Edit: yes read this - it does talk about neurological symptoms and secondary infections in the nervous system) http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Protozoal_diseases/coccidiosis_general.PDF

Unfortunately standard disinfectants don't kill the cysts, so if I were you I would try and find out what chemicals are able to kill the cysts (I think boiling water does, but probably not great for your carpets!) and use that as a preventative measure in any event - might as well take a belt & braces approach to trying to stop whatever it is from spreading.

Hope all the other bunnies are ok :cry:

I agree Alison. I dont think Coccidiosis can be ruled out without a PM on the deceased Buns :cry: :cry:

Janex

You know what this reminds me of? When Phill lost so many rabbits a couple of years back - there was a link to grass sickness, or botulism. Some people think grass sickness isn't caused by botulins, but the thing that does carry botulin toxins is birds faeces. What is used as fertiliser for our veggies often? Guano? I certainly wash a lot of white stuff of my greens. Botulins are also found in badly preserved foodstuffs that's been exposed to birds - Do we really know what's in rabbit pellets? One pellet might be clean and another might have dirt in it. Grass sickness frequently occurs when an animal is stressed after a move too.

If anyone's looking for a good antibacterial / antiviral surface disinfectant, I'd recommend Trigene. It's what I use in my diving rebreather to kill of any nasties I might breath, and I know they sell an animal variant. It apparent kills most things; MRSA, Hep, Herpes, Flu, HIV, Infectious Bronchitis Microbacteria Fungi/Moulds/Yeasts Bacteria. You can by it in prediluted sprays or concentrate.

serious problem u/d vet just gone

louise, im so so sorry for what you are going through im so sorry this has happened i was unaware that travelling bunnies so far would end up with whats happened these babies were not hand reared they were with me for 4 weeks and they had left the nest when i rescued them they were still with mum up untill 10 days before they came to you, my vets advised to take mum away because she was a bag of bones and the babies were draining her i just wish i could shed more light on why they havnt survived if they,d of bn poorly with me i wouldnt of sent them,
im just so sorry !!!!
& for anyone who thinks this is my fault i was in regular contact with ellepotter last week on these babies i have not just dumped them and left her to it ive also said to louise ill cover vet bills i know all to well what its like to take bunnies and then be left with a huge bill at the end of it, i hav,nt started this to start bad feeling im just sick of people slating me when im struggling to try and do a good job like everyone else :)

louise, im so so sorry for what you are going through im so sorry this has happened i was unaware that travelling bunnies so far would end up with whats happened these babies were not hand reared they were with me for 4 weeks and they had left the nest when i rescued them they were still with mum up untill 10 days before they came to you, my vets advised to take mum away because she was a bag of bones and the babies were draining her i just wish i could shed more light on why they havnt survived if they,d of bn poorly with me i wouldnt of sent them,
im just so sorry !!!!
& for anyone who thinks this is my fault i was in regular contact with ellepotter last week on these babies i have not just dumped them and left her to it ive also said to louise ill cover vet bills i know all to well what its like to take bunnies and then be left with a huge bill at the end of it, i hav,nt started this to start bad feeling im just sick of people slating me when im struggling to try and do a good job like everyone else :)

I never thought for a minute it was your fault - it's just bunnies being delicate like they are - only the other week Cheryl from Sprowston was having the same problem with babies just dying. When they've had a poor start in life with a weak mother it must make them weak too in many ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back