• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Serious Problem! U/D 22nd August / Coccidiosis Confirmed!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We haven't had a post morten done at the moment but if we lose anymore I will be talking with the relevant rescues about this.

Louise

HI there. Sorry, this sounds terrible. I am sending ultra big vibes

I have had a similar problem though on an incredibly smaller scale.

I thought I had a bizarre coincidence of dental bunnies in my group who suddenly developed dental problems and even more bizarrely needed dentals in days of each other. It didn't take long to have suspicions about this. No diet changes or ANYTHING made a difference. I had approximately 2of my 5 buns a week in stasis at one point.

My thinking has now shifted completely to an EC connection, so has my vets. When one of them developed full blown neurological signs, they all got treated with Panacur and anti-inflamms and ALL improved - from bloat every 2 days to none for months. Until that is, Marcy's head has started tilting again and they all independently got bloat over a 2 week period (my hols from work too). That's far too much of a coincidence for my liking

Little is known abut EC's affect on the gut in bunnies - it can granulomas like Crohns disease in humans but very quickly (thanks to SarahP and Elve's research) A lot of vets seem unwilling to make this link. Mines pick up quite quickly whilst on Panacur, SarahP's do too.

I'm not saying that this is the problem, by no means, but the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when I hear about multiple bloat /stasis bunnies as I remember the hard work and I wish I had considered EC earlier

More vibes
Fiona x

Hi Louise

Im so sorry to hear what a tough time you are having :cry:

In a bit of a dilemma about the bunnies, part of me thinks getting them here now while they are still healthy and away from any disease is best and the other part thinks if its coccidiosis or VHD then its too much of a risk (were all panacured up here except one who started today) :?

Its very hard for me to adequatley quarantine these guys for 2 weeks as well due to the nature of our set up in relation to anything airbourne :?

Has the vet ruled anything out or determined anything definate yet?

X

Its obviously none of my business but I would not even think of moving anybun until the disease outbreak is identified and contained.

Janex

I'm not saying that this is the problem, by no means, but the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when I hear about multiple bloat /stasis bunnies as I remember the hard work and I wish I had considered EC earlier

Me too - I so wish mine had had an earlier diagnosis. What happened with mine was that I got so frustrated I changed vets, and he immediately thought of EC and tested Dusty for it.

As far as I am aware Coccidiosis does not display itself as neuro symptoms so we are leaning towards EC and possibly some totally unrelated cases of bloat. We have no reason to suspect VHD.

As I have said previously if we lose anymore we will be having a PM done.

Louise

Is it possible for EC to spread and display symptoms so quickly though? I always thought it was a slow creeping disease? It seems odd to me that so many have gone down so quickly unless they all contracted it at the same point some time ago.....just speculation.....and that would mean it was unlikey the babies ahd passed anything to the adults?

Just to add all my own rabbits have had a 28 day course of Panacur a few months ago but my vet has suggested they ALL have another 5 day course.

Louise

Is it possible for EC to spread and display symptoms so quickly though?

I could be completely off base here but I always assumed EC was a bit like the pasturella bacteria. It lays dormant in a rabbit until some form of stress/secondary illness flares it up in varying degree's of seriousness. :?

Louise

I think EC IS like Pasturella in the fact that some rabbits can carry it and never display any symptoms, or the symptoms CAN remain dormant like you said until something 'triggers' it.

Yes thats what I meant, EC is a 'present' disease that can be carried......but its odd that the babies would turn out ill at the same time as the adults given they all arrived at different times..... so you would think they would develop symptoms at different times too, if it was the same thing, rather than go down within hours of each other.

Yes, that DOES seem very strange. If the little ones were carrying it, and passed it along to the others, it seems like the little ones would be much more advanced with it and it would take some time for it to show symptoms in the older ones?????

WHATEVER it is, I hope and pray that the Panacur knocks it out. It's very scary.:cry: :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back