• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

scratchy rabbit...

ellie81

New Kit
please help. i took on my sisters female lop rabbit last November as her new terrier was terrorising it. i put her in a decent sized run with her usual hutch. she eats well, fresh carrots lettuce and her rabbit food everyday and fresh water. she has never been much of a digger till recently. sadly shes not great to handle as she back leg scratches and its pretty painfull to pursue. so shes pretty much left to her own devices happily playing in the garden. in august last year, we brought my little daughter two baby boy rabbits that were in the house till good sized and neutered. in November, we put them in a separate run and hutch close to the female. no real issue. female seemed ok but now runs in circles alot, dig and doesnt seem so happy. i took this as a territory thing? recently (a good month ago), the female escaped and jumped into the boys hutch while i was cleaning every thing out. i then discovered, she was in fact a boy this was very obvious. i havent bothered getting 'him' neutered as he doesnt share a hutch. this afternoon, while feeding the rabbits, i noticed that he was digging alot and seemed to be scratching at his ear. he had also something stuck from his ear. when i had a proper look, i saw that it was a bit of his ear dangling off and he had about a fifth of his ear missing and deep lacerations, some of which had gone right through. some of the lacerations looked pretty old and one ear was much worse than the other. i rushed him straight to the vet. she said it looked like something had attacked him as he also had old scars and cuts to his body. his run is secure though and completely covered. the lacerations have mostly healed well and nothing was needing medical attention. he doesnt have ticks or mites. has anyone ever seen this before? or know what hes doing and why???
thank you so much.

Did you mention to the Vet that he was scratching his ear and if so did she look into his ear? If he continues to scratch you will have to take him back asnhe might have ear mites. Some bucks do dig especially when unneutered - I had one who dug right under the shed! On the subject of food, you don't mention that your rabbit gets hay, only carrots which are very high in sugar, and lettuce. Hay is very important for your rabbits as it keeps their teeth in good shape and aids digestion. It also keeps them occupied.

hi, thank you for your reply. yes the rabbits get fresh hay daily with their food. thank you, i should have put that in to clarify. the vet had a though look all over him and into his ears and said he didnt have mites. he is waiting to be neutered and in a large indoor cage on his own in the out buildings untill his appointment. it has stopped him digging for now so his ears are improving so i will see if neutering helps!

Hopefully neutering him will help with his temperament, to stop him digging out, or predators digging in to his run you could either use concrete slabs for the floor or put weld mesh down under grass. Sadly most bunnies hate being picked up. Maybe after he has been neutered (and waited 6 weeks after the op) you could get a spayed female as a friend for him :thumb: there are lots in rescue already spayed and vaccinated waiting for a home, and they often help with bonding :thumb:

I feel I have to point out that rabbits shouldn't eat lettuce as most types are very bad for them. The darker leafed varieties are better but say Iceberg should not be fed to them.

I hope you find the cause of your bunny's discomfort soon, bless him.

Did the other two boys attack him when he got in with them? Rabbits tend to go for ears, bums and genitals when they fight.

Back