• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Scent gland cleaning

cheriseru

Alpha Buck
So I know regular brushing and nail trimming is needed, as well as overall body and teeth checks but recently I was watching some rabbit YouTube videos and they said about cleaning the scent glands by their genitals [emoji15] did a bit more googling and apparently it is a thing and needs doing around once a month.

Does anyone else do it?

The videos and articles I read said to use earbuds/cottonbuds with a bit of water, gently open and then swab it out [emoji15]

So happens I was due to brush/trim etc them tonight, so sucked it up and checked on Zeus first, as he's most passive, and errr there was dark gunky stuff and it absolutely stank, took a few swabbings but managed to mostly clean it out. Took a bit more wrestling to check Athie's and was mostly clean, just a yellowish bit of ear wax looking stuff. Gaia seemed clean at least.

Any tips or tricks anyone can suggest as I'm paranoid I'm doing it wrong or hurting them?

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

So I know regular brushing and nail trimming is needed, as well as overall body and teeth checks but recently I was watching some rabbit YouTube videos and they said about cleaning the scent glands by their genitals [emoji15] did a bit more googling and apparently it is a thing and needs doing around once a month.

Does anyone else do it?

The videos and articles I read said to use earbuds/cottonbuds with a bit of water, gently open and then swab it out [emoji15]

So happens I was due to brush/trim etc them tonight, so sucked it up and checked on Zeus first, as he's most passive, and errr there was dark gunky stuff and it absolutely stank, took a few swabbings but managed to mostly clean it out. Took a bit more wrestling to check Athie's and was mostly clean, just a yellowish bit of ear wax looking stuff. Gaia seemed clean at least.

Any tips or tricks anyone can suggest as I'm paranoid I'm doing it wrong or hurting them?

You can check them and see if they need doing.. Most rabbits keep that area clean themselves, but some don't!

Just a warning tho.. The skin is like paper thin make sure the cotton bud is proper saturated.. And also ******* christ the smell.. Its like the worst goddamm smell like coffee and musk and idek what.. You won't believe its coming from a rabbit.. [emoji51] So yea....good luck! [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

You can check them and see if they need doing.. Most rabbits keep that area clean themselves, but some don't!

Just a warning tho.. The skin is like paper thin make sure the cotton bud is proper saturated.. And also ******* christ the smell.. Its like the worst goddamm smell like coffee and musk and idek what.. You won't believe its coming from a rabbit.. [emoji51] So yea....good luck! [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Sadly it seems like Zeus isn't too good with cleaning his [emoji15] thanks and yup will properly saturate it :)

Yup that smell [emoji1785][emoji2961] there are no words! Considering bunnies I quite like the clean fluffy bunny smell, I can't link that gland smell to them... swear I can still smell it even though I thoroughly washed my hands numerous times and everything [emoji15]

Sadly it seems like Zeus isn't too good with cleaning his [emoji15] thanks and yup will properly saturate it :)

Yup that smell [emoji1785][emoji2961] there are no words! Considering bunnies I quite like the clean fluffy bunny smell, I can't link that gland smell to them... swear I can still smell it even though I thoroughly washed my hands numerous times and everything [emoji15]

Sorry I just reread your post, it seems I massively skipped a section [emoji38][emoji38] sorry about that!

Yea it's horrendous isn't it.. They all smell a little different too.. I had one female and she was like extra stinky.. [emoji38] I love clean bunny smell, I regularly smoosh my face into Clementine and just smell her [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Sorry I just reread your post, it seems I massively skipped a section [emoji38][emoji38] sorry about that!

Yea it's horrendous isn't it.. They all smell a little different too.. I had one female and she was like extra stinky.. [emoji38] I love clean bunny smell, I regularly smoosh my face into Clementine and just smell her [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Hahaha no worries!

So glad I'm not the only one that smooshes my face into a bunny and just smell [emoji1787] Zeus is so used to me getting my fix daily by cuddling and usually smooshing face ontop of his neck or head and just sniffing [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Aww, yucky Zeus. :lol: The smell always makes me feel a bit ill. :lol: As for advice, like Graciee said, the skin is really thin, so just be careful. Sophie won't let me get a cotton bud in there, so I use my fingers, which she tolerates better, so that's always an option if you don't mind washing your hands really well afterwards. :lol:

Aww, yucky Zeus. [emoji38] The smell always makes me feel a bit ill. [emoji38] As for advice, like Graciee said, the skin is really thin, so just be careful. Sophie won't let me get a cotton bud in there, so I use my fingers, which she tolerates better, so that's always an option if you don't mind washing your hands really well afterwards. [emoji38]
Hahaha yea made me look at Zeus in a whole new light [emoji1785]
Eeeeuw eeeuw eeeuw I just about managed to do it with the cotton bud, not sure I'm ready to attempt my finger yet.

Athie nearly took a chunk out of my and Gaia surprisingly kept super still. Needless to say all 3 of them absolutely hated me after and even avoided me all day today, even with tons of grovelling and treats. Zeus's kind of forgiven me, but Gaia still won't be in the same room as me [emoji15]

Yep, another bunny sniffer here. It is so unlike the stinky smell my Raven can emit from his scent glands.

Hahaha yea made me look at Zeus in a whole new light [emoji1785]
Eeeeuw eeeuw eeeuw I just about managed to do it with the cotton bud, not sure I'm ready to attempt my finger yet.

Athie nearly took a chunk out of my and Gaia surprisingly kept super still. Needless to say all 3 of them absolutely hated me after and even avoided me all day today, even with tons of grovelling and treats. Zeus's kind of forgiven me, but Gaia still won't be in the same room as me [emoji15]

Awww. To be fair, if I were a bunny and someone did that to me, I would hate them, too. :lol: I hope Gaia will forgive you soon!

Back