• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Safe digging/chewing toys

Wigs

Warren Scout
Hiya :wave:

I really need some help!

Valentine is a spayed 8 1/2 month old doe. She has been an indoor bunny for around 5 weeks now, and for the most part it has been fantastic, it's so nice having her with us all the time.

However, I have a couple of issues...

Firstly, Valentine is a big digger, and whilst she has a cardboard box lined with one of the straw dig mats and filled with a load of hay, she doesn't really get that that is where she should be digging. So, instead she has started digging in random corners of her house (lined with vet bed/fleece blanket). I don't mind this, except she tends to chew when she digs. There are always little pieces of blanket in the area that she has been digging, and I am worried that she must be ingesting some of the blanket when she chews.

Secondly, she seems to have a fondness for chewing our wallpaper. We live in a rented house, and so really cannot afford for her to be doing this :?

Any words of wisdom on how to ensure she can dig and chew to her hearts content, but not at the expense of her health (or our house), would be very much appreciated, before the OH banishes her back into the garden! :cry:

Thanks,
Claire

PS - she has plenty of chew toys/tunnels etc

I love the name Valentine!! Gorgous!!
Just a thought...has Valentine been speyed??I found Mrs Bun was a digger but after her spey,she stopped.
As for the chewing,you say she has loads of toys to chew and stuff....
Maybe scatter her dinner so she forages....
More stuff to do, but if shes not speyed that may be the answer!!
(Please post pics!!!!!! Of Valentine,not the chewed stuff!!!!):lol::lol:

Thank you! :D

Yes she was spayed about 2 and a half months ago... I had really hoped that she would stop digging so much after she had the op, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference :roll:

I will definitely try scattering her food. However, all being well we will be adopting a second bunny very soon. Her potential new boyfriend is a bit of a fussy eater, so I'm worried if we start doing this, that she'll munch everything, and he'll be left with nothing (she is a greedy bunny :lol:).

I just feel that given the size of the holes that she would dig when she was outside, it must have entertained her for sooo long!!! I'm not sure what I can do to keep her busy for so long.

Some piccies below...

'Mmm, which bit of wallpaper looks the tastiest?'
Gettingcloser.jpg

Tired after all that nomming
Scopingthewallpaper.jpg

'Yay! somewhere new to dig'
Fumblingforloosechange.jpg

Thank you! :D

Yes she was spayed about 2 and a half months ago... I had really hoped that she would stop digging so much after she had the op, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference :roll:

I will definitely try scattering her food. However, all being well we will be adopting a second bunny very soon. Her potential new boyfriend is a bit of a fussy eater, so I'm worried if we start doing this, that she'll munch everything, and he'll be left with nothing (she is a greedy bunny :lol:).

I just feel that given the size of the holes that she would dig when she was outside, it must have entertained her for sooo long!!! I'm not sure what I can do to keep her busy for so long.

Some piccies below...

'Mmm, which bit of wallpaper looks the tastiest?'
Gettingcloser.jpg

Tired after all that nomming
Scopingthewallpaper.jpg

'Yay! somewhere new to dig'
Fumblingforloosechange.jpg

She is a beauty!! Hope her future husbun and her get on!!!!
Maybe a little more time is needed to settle hormones...Im not good on this....xx

She is a beauty!! Hope her future husbun and her get on!!!!
Maybe a little more time is needed to settle hormones...Im not good on this....xx

I would have thought that 2 and a half months was long enough to settle hormones though? Although, she has just been thumping for no apparent reason. She was lying sprawled out in her house, I was sitting on the laptop, then she suddenly ran up into the second storey of her house and started grunting and thumping before moving into her bed area and doing the same. She was absolutely fine 2 mins later and has been jumping on my lap for noserubs :?

Argh, I wish I understood bunny language!

ooooh!!!!!! You may have a ghost and she sensed it!!!

Joking apart,maybe shes just having one of those days!!!

Lol, we said that once before when she started thumping for no reason... spooky! :lol:

Yep, you're right, she's probably just having a grumpy day!

Back