• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will rabbit dig on stones?

Baby2017

New Kit
Hi,
So we have female bunny age 5 months. She is an indoor bunny but like to give her some run time outside as well as indoors.
We have a secure garden that I like to let her run about in but she absolutely loves to dig in the soil in planted area…..she is also a white bunny!
I’ve noticed she doesn’t seem to dig in the area that has stones. So if I put lots of stones over the soft soil will she stop digging or is likely she’ll just eventually start again?
Getting her spayed next month but I don’t imagine this will stop her digging nature.
I have a separate area fenced off for her on patio but she just keeps trying to work out how to get back into the main garden as this is more fun.

My bunnies didn't seem to like digging on stones either so it should help. Bunnies love to dig though so giving her a digging spot that she can use would help loads too. A children's sandpit filled with soil, for example, in the area of the garden that she's allowed in.

They probably won't dig on a pebbled area, but I've always avoided that as I don't think it's good for them to be entirely on such a surface. It could affect their feet, cause sore hocks, posture, etc. It's not very comfortable for me in bare feet, so I presume it's very uncomfortable for rabbits as well.

Some rabbits dig more than others, and younger rabbits tend to dig more. I find they tend to dig in the same place, so I put something over it if it's not an appropriate area eg plastic drainage pipe that they can go through instead, a stepping stone or a clay plant pot on its side, for instance. Some areas I just accept will be dug up periodically and I fill it in if it gets too out of hand (ie an escape tunnel rather than a bit of fun).

You can provide a digging box indoors eg a large box filled with hay.

Hi
Thank for your reply’s.
I have had male rabbits before and I’m finding they were much more laid back……or it could be I’ve just forgotten how mischiefy a young bunny is.

I’m trying to give her as much freedom as possible without it being some kind of issue for us. Balance. I do love seeing her dart about the garden and investigating but when she decides to dig she just doesn’t stop.

She has a dig box in the house which she does make good use of.

She does tend to dig in two spots and not all over the place. So yes perhaps dealing with each area may be an idea at first.

The fenced off area on patio is big enough for her. I keep thinking if I let her into the bigger part of the garden a few times a week then she’ll be satisfied but it’s more likely she’ll just decided to jump the fence and then she’ll just keep doing that and I really doing want to put her in an smaller closed off enclosure😢.

What things could I give her in her dig box outside that’s not soil….. did I mention she’s a white bunny😬. Can I give her leaves or bark?

Back