• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rups bald round his neck.

Rups is bald around his neck, not like in patches but perfect circle of baldness, not itchy, hot or spotty. He isnt a big bunny in fact he is a little slim. He is still eating and pooping and bouncing around. Vets booked for Friday at 11am but just wondered if anyone had any idea of what might cause this. I tried to get a photo but it is hard to hold him and the camera.
It is perhaps a cm wide all the way around.

Does Susan mount him and grab on his fur there? Or is she overgrooming him?

Susan never mounts him, nor him her. Susan does groom his neck but I have never noticed it being excessive. In fact we laugh and say she is a "short groomer" as she doesnt seem to spent very long on him. Thank you for your reply.

I've no idea what this could be, but I hope your vet can establish what the problem is and make it better. Vibes for the lovely Rups.

Fingers crossed the vet can work out what it could be. Are there any signs of mites?

Rups is bald around his neck, not like in patches but perfect circle of baldness, not itchy, hot or spotty. He isnt a big bunny in fact he is a little slim. He is still eating and pooping and bouncing around. Vets booked for Friday at 11am but just wondered if anyone had any idea of what might cause this. I tried to get a photo but it is hard to hold him and the camera.
It is perhaps a cm wide all the way around.

Could this be a parasite maybe? I swear there's one that does something like this? Saying that Atticus is bald on the back of his neck, wouldn't say its a perfect circle.. But Idk why it's like that! It's weird [emoji51] hopefully your vet will know :)

Is he moulting? I think I saw something ages ago that sometimes they lose from their neck first?

Last edited:
Sometimes they can go bald when moulting a lot. It could easily be over grooming though. If skin is flaky it could be walking dandruff. Personally I would give both bunnies a spot on treatment and see how it goes. My Barney has had a bald spot on the back of his neck lately, I was unsure if it’s because of Odin grabbing him there or just him moulting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of our foster buns went completely bald around his neck at the start of his moult, he's a lionhead so it was only visible when he was stretching out for a biscuit the rest of the time it was completely covered by his mane, but it was maybe 2cm wide around his neck. Its growing back now He had been vaccinated maybe a month previous, not sure if that was maybe related as I've had a bun develop a bald spot after vaccination before. But still, always worth a vet check.

One of my previous bunnies always got bald just behind the ears when moulting or when it was really hot weather. The skin was completely fine, no dandruff, redness or itching. My vet said it was normal :)

I hope Rups its just moulting - I'm sure I've seen this on my prev bunnies & defo the balding ears

Thank you all, he is moulting, he also does get very thin around his neck in moult.

Graciee I will check for parasites - he is booked into the vets on thursday for his jabs.

Thank you all again for your replies, away to google bald round neck now :)

Thank you all, he is moulting, he also does get very thin around his neck in moult.

Graciee I will check for parasites - he is booked into the vets on thursday for his jabs.

Thank you all again for your replies, away to google bald round neck now :)
It's probably just a moult, I just remember something about a round shape and a certain parasite I think. Can't remember anymore tho, which isn't helpful [emoji38][emoji38]

remember something about a round shape and a certain parasite I think.

Maybe you’re thinking about ringworm? It’s a fungal infection which particularly on humans it presents as a round rash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rups has been to the vets for his jabs. He has been given a clean bill of health and we struggled to find the bald patch! I am hoping it was just moult.

Back