• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Thumping Rups

Do rabbits dream?

Tonight Rups started thumping approx 4.35am, he sleeps in his loft which is a wooden structure above his house, it is filled with hay and has a ramp up.
If he thumps it is loud so I think he woke OH and myself quite quickly.
We went downstairs and nothing was amiss but he continued to bang his foot.
In the end around 5.15am I lifted him out (I dont lift him usually) and put him on the sofa between us but he was still really upset.
We stroked him, gave him some basil leaves (which he ate) and eventually chose to get down and go and sit in the dining room.

I am now watching him like a hawk but have no idea why or what he was so very upset. I am going to try and go back to bed till 6.30am.

Any ideas anybun?

Could he have heard something outside, a Cat or a Fox ?

i have known Rabbits to thump when they see a huge spider.

My Lord H thumps if the need to pass and eat a cecotroph wakes him up :roll:

Aww, poor Rups. I'm sorry he was so upset. :( I wonder if he heard something, or smelled something, maybe? Or maybe he had a bad dream, yeah... They do dream, I think. I hope he's okay this morning.

I hope he's OK. In my experience rabbits have thumped because they are scared of something or if they disapprove of something. Tui very rarely thumps, but the night before last she did, for quite a while. We think it was due to the fact that OH had put a plastic garden tray on the top of her new cardboard box to reinforce it for when she jumped on it. She had gone in to the shed after it had got dark and so she possibly couldn't see it properly.

Oh poor Rups. But yes, I've read that rabbits dream. But Jane is always wiser on this matter

Thank you all, he is bimbling about like nothing has happened this morning, we are no wiser as to what or why, poor boy he was so very upset - Mark slept downstairs with him for the rest of the night. Thank you

When Lopsy was indoors, he thumped once every 5mins at something in the eaves storage, where the water tank is (he was in the attic bedroom). We never found out what it was. Could've been a bat under the roof, a squirrel in next door's roof space (they had one when we first moved in XD The lads living there told us!), we couldn't hear or see anything. He was fine after a few days. Hope Rups sleeps better tonight :)

I found Blossom thumping because there was a slug on her rug last week.

Woke me up at about 4 and I must admit I almost missed it when having a very sleepy check round.

Every night since I've discovered a slug in the kitchen heading to the bunny room. I'm horrified and they're really yucky.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Sorry Rups & you had a worrying night. Tried to find my thread but couldn't. We had a night (November - can't remember if 2020 or 2019) where Boo was uncontrollably stomping & looking confused all night. I had to take her in to spare room so Bob could sleep (his work is lots of driving so I worry) & even when she got on the bed with me she was much more relaxed, half asleep but still doing little stomps. I was really worried - however it was ages ago & no repeats (just normal thumps like bunnies do)

We had a night (November - can't remember if 2020 or 2019) where Boo was uncontrollably stomping & looking confused all night.

Phillip does this every so often! Usually we never get to the bottom of why but we assume it’s something he’s heard such as a fox, as he can detect one of those from quite a distance.

I once read on here from someone to pretend you’re looking for whatever it is that’s bothered them, so lift up items, get down on the floor and pretend to be searching etc. I have to say it actually stops Phillip stomping most of the time [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found Blossom thumping because there was a slug on her rug last week.

Woke me up at about 4 and I must admit I almost missed it when having a very sleepy check round.

Every night since I've discovered a slug in the kitchen heading to the bunny room. I'm horrified and they're really yucky.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Eeek I think I'd thump of I was a bunny to and had a slug invade my space

On regards to dreaming yes they do
Mine only thumps when I'm a few minutes late with supper :lol:

Thank you all again, he did it again last night. Thump, thump, thump at 2.15am.

I did all the "look Rups I am looking" and he did slow down a bit. In the end Mark got his sleeping bag out and got on the sofa and Rups took himself off into the leanto. (he has free range of the house) he seems to have spent the night on the door mat. I went back to bed.

He is still not good from losing Susan and has been back and forth to the vets.

Careless Squid - I would thump and yowl if I found slugs so yes big uuuucckkkk x

Phillip does this every so often! Usually we never get to the bottom of why but we assume it’s something he’s heard such as a fox, as he can detect one of those from quite a distance.

I once read on here from someone to pretend you’re looking for whatever it is that’s bothered them, so lift up items, get down on the floor and pretend to be searching etc. I have to say it actually stops Phillip stomping most of the time [emoji23]
This never worked for me :lol: They thump at random stuff in the garden and it could be anything out there, I rarely see the reason, it's usually long gone!

Thank you all again, he did it again last night. Thump, thump, thump at 2.15am.

I did all the "look Rups I am looking" and he did slow down a bit. In the end Mark got his sleeping bag out and got on the sofa and Rups took himself off into the leanto. (he has free range of the house) he seems to have spent the night on the door mat. I went back to bed.

He is still not good from losing Susan and has been back and forth to the vets.

Careless Squid - I would thump and yowl if I found slugs so yes big uuuucckkkk x
Poor Rups, big hugs xxx

Oh yeah, and I agree with slugs. We get them in the front room sometimes, I have no idea where from!

He has played out all day today, I have been concreting and demolishing the bunny garden, I think maybe he was expecting to see Susan in it (or am I just dreaming) but I think he has had a really busy day compared to how sedate and fed up he has been. I hope he is going to sleep tonight poor lad.

Back