• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rupert's eye

How did his check up go yesterday ? I think you said he was due to be seen again then.
He has got worse so the eye has to come out. It's actually a lot worse unfortunately so even the stronger antibiotics didn't touch it. The results of the swab didn't come back with any obvious bacterial infection so I decided to bite the bullet and not prolong things.

I am a bit worried about recovery and how I'll keep him from messing with it. I'm guessing he will have to be kept apart from Lilac to make sure she doesn't mess with it either.

He has got worse so the eye has to come out. It's actually a lot worse unfortunately so even the stronger antibiotics didn't touch it. The results of the swab didn't come back with any obvious bacterial infection so I decided to bite the bullet and not prolong things.

I am a bit worried about recovery and how I'll keep him from messing with it. I'm guessing he will have to be kept apart from Lilac to make sure she doesn't mess with it either.

Oh, I am sorry ☹️

I didn’t have to keep Mr Bean separated from Aisling and he didn’t mess with his surgical wound at all. To be honest I think he was so relieved that the very painful diseased eye was out.

I can try to find the pics of Mr B immediately after his surgery if you think it’d help you prepare for what Rupert is likely to look like initially. I won’t post them if they might upset you though.

I think you have made the right decision getting his eye removed. One thing to add. Please make 100% certain that the Vet will NOT insert an antibiotic bead called ANTIROBE into the empty socket after the eye is removed. The abx in antirobe is highly toxic to Rabbits if it’s ingested. Anything put in the eye will get to the GI tract. Sadly Liz47 on here lost one of her beloved Bunnies due to a negligent Vet using Antirobe ☹️
I would specifically ask the Vet about if this would ever be consider and if the Vet said yes I am afraid I would have to take Rupert elsewhere for surgery. I would certainly not sign a consent form for the op’ to go ahead if the Vet dismissed my concerns.

Oh, I am sorry ☹️

I didn’t have to keep Mr Bean separated from Aisling and he didn’t mess with his surgical wound at all. To be honest I think he was so relieved that the very painful diseased eye was out.

I can try to find the pics of Mr B immediately after his surgery if you think it’d help you prepare for what Rupert is likely to look like initially. I won’t post them if they might upset you though.

I think you have made the right decision getting his eye removed. One thing to add. Please make 100% certain that the Vet will NOT insert an antibiotic bead called ANTIROBE into the empty socket after the eye is removed. The abx in antirobe is highly toxic to Rabbits if it’s ingested. Anything put in the eye will get to the GI tract. Sadly Liz47 on here lost one of her beloved Bunnies due to a negligent Vet using Antirobe ☹️
I would specifically ask the Vet about if this would ever be consider and if the Vet said yes I am afraid I would have to take Rupert elsewhere for surgery. I would certainly not sign a consent form for the op’ to go ahead if the Vet dismissed my concerns.
Thanks for this Jane, I actually looked it up last night as I was wondering what he'd look like so I'm sort of aware of what to expect, although it'll still be a bit of a shock to see him post-surgery.

I've been sent an invoice and there is no mention of antirobe, just baytril. But I will make sure I ask when I drop him off tomorrow. I should post the invoice on the vet fees thread! Very glad for insurance, and I do trust my vets to give him the best care but always a shock to see the figures.

I'm sorry the meds didn't help . Vibes that the op & recovery go smoothly. Would you like to see a photo of Noodles eye post surgery? I also didn't have to keep my buns apart

I'm sorry the meds didn't help . Vibes that the op & recovery go smoothly. Would you like to see a photo of Noodles eye post surgery? I also didn't have to keep my buns apart
That's good to hear re not having to keep them apart. I will ask tomorrow to be on the safe side.

My buns are totally free roam so I was thinking of setting up their old pen just while he recovers to minimise any chance of injury while he's pottering around.

I'll forego the pictures if that's okay, I think the ones I saw last night were enough for my liking! It's always a bit gruesome looking at these things but as long as he's okay when he wakes up that's the main thing.

No worries, I get that. I was dreading it but it was actually less gory than her jaw abscess.
sending more well wishes

Seconding the comment on Antirobe - ask your vet, and make absolutely certain that it will not be used.

No worries, I get that. I was dreading it but it was actually less gory than her jaw abscess.
sending more well wishes
Oh yes I've dealt with one of those before, I always think these things probably look way worse to us than they feel to the bunnies!

Just getting his bag of goodies ready before we head off.

Well he's all settled in with the vet, I checked re the antirobe and was told they don't use it so that's a relief! I took Lilac with him for company, she wasn't impressed!

Going to take the bun-free opportunity to give the house a good hoover and clean before I set his pen up. Will at least take my mind off things for the day.

Well unfortunately the vet couldn't do Rupert's procedure today as they had 4 emergencies in and had to make the call that there wasn't enough time to do the op and monitor him properly. Rebooked for Friday, hopefully it can all go ahead then.

Poor Rupert was so stressed last night after coming back from the vets, he wouldn't eat his dinner and the only thing I could get him to eat was porridge oats (not ideal but it's my litmus test for stasis). He's been very quiet all day today but eating. I just noticed a foul-smelling soft poo on him so have just cleaned him up and offered some critical care, he's only taken a small amount. Tried porridge again and he's taken that so I'm going to have to monitor him over the next few hours to see how he is. I really hope he's well enough for his procedure tomorrow now.

aww that is so frustrating that it couldn't go ahead (although I understand why, I've had a buns surgery put back a day for the same reason). I hope he's more chilled now & hope too he'll eat a little more. All paws crossed they'll be able to operate tomorrow

aww that is so frustrating that it couldn't go ahead (although I understand why, I've had a buns surgery put back a day for the same reason). I hope he's more chilled now & hope too he'll eat a little more. All paws crossed they'll be able to operate tomorrow
He's eaten a little porridge and a little critical care. I've massaged his belly too as that usually helps when he has a bit of stasis. Just hoping he gradually eats more.

Poor lad. Maybe his eye is more painful now too. I would let the Vet know if he doesn’t eat or have much poo output overnight. Poo output is a better monitor of gut motility than what he will eat. Sending lots more vibes for him x

Back