• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RSPCA Rabbit Survey

It keeps telling me my answer is too long! I don't want to delete any of it though, as I think it's important that they read it all. What can I do to get round this?!

17. What do you believe is the biggest welfare concern facing rabbits today?
Size of accommodation.
People don't realise how much space rabbits need. There is a stereotypical view of a rabbit in a small hutch which needs to change. The RSPCA do not have a guideline amount of space for a single rabbit. They do not advise keeping rabbits on their own but as many people do this needs to be addressed. Shops are still selling tiny hutches that rabbits can hardly move or stretch in because there is no guideline. There needs to be a minimum hutch size for any rabbit, even if they are single.

There were no questions about neuter status...

Anyway I sent them a picture of my two. :)

It keeps telling me my answer is too long! I don't want to delete any of it though, as I think it's important that they read it all. What can I do to get round this?!

There's an option to send an email later with a photo. Perhaps send it in there and just put basic points or most important points in the survey?

Done and posted.

I just hope that they actually use the information sensibly and listen to the comments and not just the figures.

Our of interest, for those who have completed it, what did you say was the biggest single thing to affect future rabbit welfare?

I also mentioned something about the general public being properly informed about rabbitkeeping before buying a rabbit, since lack of knowledge is probably the single root cause of rabbits ending up in rescues for the variety of reasons they end up there (more expensive than we thought, lived longer than we thought, lost interest, etc)

I said I felt that the biggest welfare issue facing rabbits is the ease at which people can buy rabbits at pet shops or garden centres with no forthought or prior knowledge.

I agree that education and housing is vital, but even if those messages are sent out, I actually dont feel it will make a blind bit of difference to a large number of people that buy rabbits on a whim, as often they are not going to be likely to care about housing or best practice - they buy for the kids to shut them up and only expect it to be a short lived experience - therefore they won't invest in time or money regardless of what information is out there.

For those who buy from pet shops and choose to educate themselves, sometimes it's too late after the event and they realise that they can't do what is required so give the animals up anyway.

For those who buy and choose to educate themselves (as many RU'ers do successfully) the rabbits do well, but these people would probably take rabbits on if it was harder in the first place to get one (i.e. not just going down to Pet's at Home on a Sunday afternoon) My notion being that the people who make the effort, would actually still want to give rabbits home, even after finding out what is involved in keeping them.

So in the short term shout the messages of how to care from the roof tops, BUT ultimately there must be a change in how rabbits are sold as cheap 'chattles' - the backyard breeder supplying cheap stock to pet stores must stop.

Helen

There's an option to send an email later with a photo. Perhaps send it in there and just put basic points or most important points in the survey?

Thanks Jenova! I've done just that.

It was really about time the RSPCA revised their approach to rabbits. If we all stress the importance for decent hutch sizes perhaps 'certain well know pet stores' will be forced to comply!!

I sent some photos and an email to them about Fay's story - I adopted her one year ago today from the RSPCA - but she had been dumped in a field, with babies, and was pregnant as well.

I really dont understand for the life of me how anyone could ever do this but I think breeders/pet shops and lack of education about neutering (and people therefore finding themselves overwhelmed with rabbits they cant/dont want to care for) has a lot to do with it. :cry:

I heard of a friend of a friend who had bought two rabbits for their child, they went on to reproduce (unsurprisingly) and my friend wouldnt tell me what had happened to the babies - but hinted at something rather unsavoury. :cry::evil:

You cant change much of what happens to bunnies once they are in the wrong hands - so I agree with Helen (The Duchess) about preventing so many getting in the wrong hands in the first place.

BUT ultimately there must be a change in how rabbits are sold as cheap 'chattles' - the backyard breeder supplying cheap stock to pet stores must stop.

Helen

Having had nothing whatsoever to do with rabbits before I bought Suki in June, I was astounded how cheap they were - 20 quid - in relation to (particularly) dogs or cats. I was preparing to pay like a couple of hundred pounds :oops:

Another thing I wondered - why can you buy rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters etc in pet shops but not dogs or cats? (I remember the days when puppies and kittens were in pet shops!)

Just completed. Think I fit more into the "average owner" category than some of the members on here, i.e. rabbits live in a hutch +run rather than a gorgeous huge shed (Currently working on my OH to get this to happen!).

Anyway, floated off topic there, I think its important that people show disgust in the fact the the EASTER BUNNY is a suggestion for how to improve awareness of rabbit care! :shock:

If anything, work needs to be done to remove the association between rabbits and easter - i.e. rabbits are for life, not just for easter.

Just completed it and it said couldnt be found or whatever it said so cant send an email :roll:
So just wondering if anyone else does it if they send another email will they please say something about rabbits and guinea pigs being kept together as well!
Many people still dont know that they shouldnt be kept together and i think that they need to address this issue through proper education of the public.

As well as the neuter status of the rabbits they have not asked what other pets live with the rabbits. Like guinea pigs or if inside dogs and cats.

The survey its self needs work but at least it's a start!

Anyway, floated off topic there, I think its important that people show disgust in the fact the the EASTER BUNNY is a suggestion for how to improve awareness of rabbit care! :shock:

If anything, work needs to be done to remove the association between rabbits and easter - i.e. rabbits are for life, not just for easter.

Yes, that :censored:'d me off too! And the one about the kids cartoon. RABBITS ARE NOT A KID'S PET!!!!! :evil::evil::evil:

Yes, that :censored:'d me off too! And the one about the kids cartoon. RABBITS ARE NOT A KID'S PET!!!!! :evil::evil::evil:

Funny - I capitalised when I 'screamed' the same thing in the survey where it asked about anything else you wanted to say about bunnies!

Funny - I capitalised when I 'screamed' the same thing in the survey where it asked about anything else you wanted to say about bunnies!

actually i thought that a kids cartoon charictor was a good idea, some rabbits do make good childrens pets just like some cats and dogs do but the parents MUST take responsibility, if you have a celebraty doing it then they will just start a fad and everyone will "want one" i dont think awareness will be reached but by using a well known charictor such as buggs bunny or jessica rabbit to promote the welfare then children will be educated as well as parents, people wont stop getting rabbits for children so instead we need to educate . personally as a child i had a pet rabbit my rabbit was very well loved, and lived a good life, my parents were responsible for "my rabbit" and as i got older i got to make mroe decisions based on the care it was good for me, my rabbit was very well kept, i agree the rabbit should be parental responsibility but the children can be good owners in addition.x

I put about pet-shops and the backyard breeders who stock them and why petshops shouldn't sell live stock in a nutshell.

Thank you for posting this Tamsin, i was just about to post :)

Im really going to be pushing this in our branch, we're going to do as much as possible to promote this survey, its really important for rabbit welfare x

Back