• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rory has a White Spot in his Eye? - U/Date

Can you post a pic ? This is an eye effected by EC

CXv3YW4.jpg

More info here :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Clinical/Eye_diseases.htm

Jane isn't a vet - she 'just' has lots of experience and a very good memory. RU wouldn't be the same without her.

Hi Jane,
I will say something irrelevant. Normally, I don't have to ask that, but my curiosity got the better of me. So first of all I'm sorry. You are the most knowledgeable person I have ever seen about rabbits. Are you a veterinarian? :shock:

I am not clever enough to be a Vet. I have kept Rabbits for 25 years and in that time I have cared for well over 150 of them. Some had health problems and so I have learned a lot from caring for them. Also one of my two Best Friends is a Rabbit Savvy Vet !! :D

I am not clever enough to be a Vet. I have kept Rabbits for 25 years and in that time I have cared for well over 150 of them. Some had health problems and so I have learned a lot from caring for them. Also one of my two Best Friends is a Rabbit Savvy Vet !! :D

You are a very smart woman, don't say that to yourself again.
Woow, 150 rabbits and 25 years!? :shock: :shock: I think most vets may not have seen as many rabbits as you. :D If you come to Turkey, you will be more successful than all rabbit veterinarians. :D :D I also recommend that you write a book about rabbit care at home and every behavior and disease that rabbit owners should know. I think this knowledge and experience deserves it. :)

Boobly has EC related uveitis but even my rabbit savvy vet struggled to diagnose initially (hers does look different - maybe its the once red eyes). Boo's came on v suddenly (no other EC symptoms but she did look miserable) & have got worse over time despite panacur treatment every 3 months. She is blind in both eyes now. We had her on maxitol (not sure of spelling) eye drops but they didn't help her. I hope your bun is ok. i think they'll need the vet for diagnosis & to monitor pressure in the eye etc. and to discuss treatment of course. Good luck

I’m sorry Jane - I strongly disagree with your view that you are not clever enough to be a vet. Your insight, hands on experience and collective knowledge in my opinion, makes you easily able to have been not just any vet, but arguably an exceptional rabbit vet and I would say that many rabbits and owners on this forum are both the wiser for your exceptional analysis, but also that many rabbits will have had better medical direction at the vets because of your input.

I am wondering, only because I am basing this on my own human experience of a white dot on the eye, but could it be a corneal ulcer? I’ve had them so that’s all the comparison I can lend you I’m afraid.

I’m sorry Jane - I strongly disagree with your view that you are not clever enough to be a vet. Your insight, hands on experience and collective knowledge in my opinion, makes you easily able to have been not just any vet, but arguably an exceptional rabbit vet and I would say that many rabbits and owners on this forum are both the wiser for your exceptional analysis, but also that many rabbits will have had better medical direction at the vets because of your input.
100% agree, pretty sure my buns wouldn't be here anymore if it hadn't been for Jane's advice over the years!

I am sorry but I can't do photos but Rory's eye looks clear except for a small round white spot which moves about. He has been stressed a bit lately when he and Lily fell out. My friend can do photos but she won't be here until Wednesday now. I will have a read on this link. Thank you Jane.

If he got into a scuffle with Lily then he may have a scratch on his cornea which is now ulcerating. A Vet check would be a good idea. Vet can use some fluorescein dye staining to check for any corneal abrasions.

So, I took Rory to the Vets and they found some fur under his upper eyelid and they flushed both eyes out and gave me some drops. His eye is perfect again thankfully.

Back