• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Roisin- U/D 22nd December - Seems to be on the Mend......*Touch Wood*

Sending tons of vibes for sweet little Roisin. I hope she will quickly respond to her treatments.
You always do a terrific job of identifying the issue early and commencing treatment, so she has the best chance to recover.

Roisin has started to eat for herself now, despite still being very congested. She has had two sessions on a nebuliser which really seems to have helped.

Thank you for the vibes x

Reactions: KCG
We had a very scary time overnight. Roisin had a choking episode ☹️ I don’t know what triggered it, possibly drinking from her water bowl and inhaling water. On Veterinary advice she is not having any further diagnostics at this stage, just careful monitoring. As she is eating a bit for herself now and has some output I have been advised not to give her any more syringe feeds. All meds are being given by injection.

Within herself she is quite bright, but she’s still very congested. But a lot of mucus is coming out now, which it wasn’t yesterday. Better out than in I think.

I have tried to get her to use a sipper bottle rather than a water bowl, but she refuses to drink from a bottle. So I am only providing a very shallow supply of water which I replace if she drinks it all in one go.

She is a bit bemused by having me trying to sleep in her enclosure with her and getting stuck on the floor in the process 🙈🙄

Aw, poor thing. 😢 Could you encourage her to drink from a bottle if the water had a bit of apple juice in it or would that be too much sugar for her in her condition? I don't recall my bunnies ever having an issue with the bottle but I think that was a trick someone at my other rabbit forum used to get their bunny to take in more fluid. Indeed, my problem was getting my bunnies to drink from a bowl. 🙄
I can imagine trying to stay close to her in her enclosure is uncomfortable for you. I hope she will recover faster now and that she won't have anymore choking episodes. xxxxx

Aw, poor thing. 😢 Could you encourage her to drink from a bottle if the water had a bit of apple juice in it or would that be too much sugar for her in her condition? I don't recall my bunnies ever having an issue with the bottle but I think that was a trick someone at my other rabbit forum used to get their bunny to take in more fluid. Indeed, my problem was getting my bunnies to drink from a bowl. 🙄
I can imagine trying to stay close to her in her enclosure is uncomfortable for you. I hope she will recover faster now and that she won't have anymore choking episodes. xxxxx
I don’t want to give her anything high in sugar due to her being on an abx that is a high risk for causing GI tract disturbances. She seems to be doing OK with the shallow bowl 😀

Thanks for your support everyone. Roisin is more active now and is sounding less congested. No more choking episodes so far.

She is really enjoying her sessions on the nebuliser. I think she must realise it’s helping her. x

Back