• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rex with cardiac problems U/D Good news!

I was wondering about the pronunciation as well. Am I right in thinking she's a BARC bunny? I like to take a special interest in them as our two are BARCs too :D

Me too, I have a BARC bunny and sort of imagine they're all somehow linked :lol::lol: even though that's clearly nonsense

Glad she's feeling a bit better!

Lots of snuggles and nomming vibes!!!
Glad she's feeling better. :)
So glad she is feeling a bit better and nomming. xxx
I'm so glad that the gorgeous Velvet is feeling better. :D:love::love::love::love:

Thank you all for your thoughts :love:

When we got in, the first thing she did was get out of the box, jump off the table, over my shoulder and hit the floor. The vet said it was the most spectacular rabbit jump he's seen

Glad to see she was still causing trouble, even when she was really poorly!

Sending lots of healing vibes to your norty, beautiful girlie.

:)

That was exactly my thought too! :lol: Poor soul though, she really does hate the vets. It's either the vet or the car, not sure which, we use a taxi so it must have a lot of odd smells going about. Thank you for your vibes. :D

I see that Jane asked about her heart, and it would have been my first question too.

The rabbits we have in the sanctuary that are on heart meds all present in a similar fashion in that they hold their heads high and back to get in as much air as possible.

Definately worth getting the vet to recheck her heart on Monday, so hopefully you can rule that out.

Lots of get well vibes for her.x

Thank you. Basically she tips her head back, nose up towards the ceiling, and you can see her making big sniffs. Her mouth goes slightly open (I could see her teeth) so I wondered if it was the 'mouth breathing' I've heard people talk about on here. There is more pronounced movement round her belly where you can see her trying to take in air. I only noticed this at the vets and last night.

What would I be specifically asking about with regards to the heart? My vet is great and very good about answering questions, but I wouldn't know what to ask in the first place. Thanks for the vibes. :D

^ I'm sure Donna said that about Pearl too, when she had her heart problems.

I'm glad your girl is well in herself though and that there was no immediate emergency :)

Can I be nosy and ask how to pronounce her name? :oops:

I just made a massive post about pronounciation and the stupid ipad got rid of it. I hate this thing. :evil: Anyway, thank you, I will have a hunt through Donnas old threads and see what I can find. :wave:

It's hard to explain how it sounds tbh :lol: I found a video of a song with the word in so I'll find that. Try 'Oi' as in oi you, 'ch' as Scottish loch, and 'yi' as in yip. It's Scots Gaelic and means night. Her full name is Oidhche-Velvet, but she's nicknamed Ears or Sonar because of her expressive ears! :lol: Andrew also calls her mountain rabbit because she loves to climb high, or destruct-o-bun for obvious reasons :roll:

I was wondering about the pronunciation as well. Am I right in thinking she's a BARC bunny? I like to take a special interest in them as our two are BARCs too :D

She is indeed! Thank you Antigone. :wave: I keep an eye out for BARC bunnies - they're special ;) And clutterydrawer, they are definitely all linked, they all have the same Auntie Angie and Mopsmum ;) One big family! :love:

Aww that's a lovely name :love::love: I want to learn Gaelic now, as if I haven't got enough on :rolleyes: Do you have to spell it out each time for the vet receptionist, like I do with Apache? :lol:

Last edited:
How she's actually doing.

I wanted to answer peoples replies first seeing as you all took the time to write :D Madam here is doing okay, she's still not eating much hay but has eaten pellets and quite a bit of veg. As yet she hasn't needed the critical care, K said to avoid it if she was eating as syringes stress her out.

We have some poops, not her normal golden specimens but better than nothing. I'm concerned about her fluid uptake, I'm not sure how much water she's had today. I have been soaking her veg in water and got 3mls in through her lapping at the syringe today. I remember reading about cooled herbal tea being good to encourage them, does anyone know what flavour?

She's still having problems with the breathing periodically but not as often as the first night. She seems to be fairly relaxed as she spent a couple of hours on the floor with me today grooming and being grooomed.

I would urge you to get a referral to a cardiologist ASAP

She is displaying classic 'Rex Heart Problems' symptoms that sadly I have seen all too many times before :cry:

*If* it is heart disease then the sooner she starts appropriate medication the better. Whilst meds wont cure heart disease they can buy extra good quality time.

Diagnostics would include Chest Xray, Ultrasound of the Heart (should be able to do this without sedation if she is a calm Rabbit), full blood profile.

I certainly hope I am completely wrong and that it is 'just' infection.

Aww that's a lovely name :love::love: I want to learn Gaelic now, as if I haven't got enough on :rolleyes: Do you have to spell it out each time for the vet receptionist, like I do with Apache? :lol:

It's on their computer, so I don't need to. The vet announces every other animal by its name, but with us it's just 'Would you like to come through?':lol: Gaelic is a lovely language but I didn't find it easy. And I still suck. :lol:

I haven't used herbal tea for buns myself but here'sa thread recommending one:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?p=4432589&highlight=herbal#post4432589

Also, camomile and peppermint recommended here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=165059&highlight=herbal
hope this helps

Thanks very much. I have camomile and peppermint in the house so will try them.

I would urge you to get a referral to a cardiologist ASAP

She is displaying classic 'Rex Heart Problems' symptoms that sadly I have seen all too many times before :cry:

*If* it is heart disease then the sooner she starts appropriate medication the better. Whilst meds wont cure heart disease they can buy extra good quality time.

Diagnostics would include Chest Xray, Ultrasound of the Heart (should be able to do this without sedation if she is a calm Rabbit), full blood profile.

I certainly hope I am completely wrong and that it is 'just' infection.

Thank you for your advice Jane. I have spent the day reading about Rexes and heart problems and subsequently crying because it looks all too familiar. She only started this two days ago, does it really come on that quick? I have just taken a little video of her and would really appreciate it if you could give me your non-vet opinion based on your personal experience with Rex buns.

Click to play

Last edited:
Thank you for your advice Jane. I have spent the day reading about Rexes and heart problems and subsequently crying because it looks all too familiar. She only started this two days ago, does it really come on that quick? I have just taken a little video of her and would really appreciate it if you could give me your non-vet opinion based on your personal experience with Rex buns.

Click to play

:cry: :cry:

Is she on a diuretic ?

She may have lots of fluid on her lungs. She really is very poorly :cry: If that mouth breathing is frequent/ongoing then I honestly think she needs to be seen by the Vet again today.

I am sad to say that I do suspect a heart problem or possibly a thymoma :cry:

Did the Vet suggest attempting to do a conscious chest xray ?

:cry: :cry:

I am sad to say that I do suspect a heart problem or possibly a thymoma :cry:

I agree with Janes caution on this one.
Seeing the rabbits in the sanctuary that are in heart failure are just like this. They can have good days and bad days, but if you can get them on the right meds asap they become a lot more comfortable.
I wouldn't hesitate in getting her seen asap.

I hope it all turns out ok.

Click to play

Sending loads of vibes. I've only just seen this sorry. This is exactly how Frankie was a year ago when he had a lung infection. I agree with Jane about chest xray to establish if there is a heart problem. Frankie is now on long term antibiotics twice weekly, metacam and septrin as he has scaring.

One thing he particularly loved when he was sick was chamomile tea and fresh chamomile the herb. It seemed to help calm him.

Just to add Frankie is also a rex.

Last edited:
Sending lots of vibes for your gorgeous Velvet xxx
I know she won't give up, because she is one feisty lady. :love::love::love::love::love:

Poor girl, she does look quite bad :( I really hope she will be ok.
My rex Susie had something similar too. I noticed her breathing was a little faster than usual one day. She was started on antibiotics and metacam immediately but she progressively got worse and started breathing just like Oidhche. She had x-rays about a week after her initial symptoms but nothing was found and she died a week later :cry:
I hope I haven't scared you but I just wanted to reiterate what others have said, that kind of breathing is very serious and really needs investigating as quickly as possible.

This is a video of Susie the day before she died:
http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l95/pegasys800/?action=view&current=Susie-2.mp4

Ditto the above- i'd also see a vet- this is extremely serious- it mimics what i saw in adonia- but to be honest your buns breathing is worse.

I would make sure you give your bun lots of love and let her know you love her, incase she is coming to the end of her days. I'm so sorry i hope this isn't the case.

Your bun does look ever so poorly and some oxygen therapy looks like it is required by a vet looking at that breathing.

Definitely the lungs are struggling.

Adonia deteriorated very rapidly with her breathing problems and it is a fast oneset and deterioration. Unless the treatment works. Adonia had oxygen etc but it didn't work for her. Hope the meds work for your bun.

I hope what Jane says is right and it's a heart problem that can be solved with meds- i'd echo seeing a vet again asap.

Loads of vibes hun xxxxxx

Back