• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues.....good or bad.....

I don't mind appointment based visits. That way you can have 1-on-1 time with the rabbits. It must be stressful for a bun being handled by too many people in a short space of time. Plus I'm a jealous bunny mummy - I'd be looking getting worried that teh other person was going to bunny nap the bunster I'd fallen for!!:oops: :lol: :lol:

I put my hand up in praise to anyone who opens up their homes and pockets to given rabbits a haven, often from horrendous conditions. Who am I to judge someone by my standards on how I think it should be done, when I don't do it myself?

I remember years ago visiting a rescue that is no longer open and looked at all the hutches stacked on top of each other and I was shocked. Four years on, I realise I was wrong. I should have been shocked at how many rabbits were thrown away by their owners than the great person who was feeding them, cleaning them, giving them vet. aid, and eventually getting them rehomed. I was exceedingly naive.

I would prefer to devote my energies to more pressing issues in rabbit welfare than trying to impose my "ideals" of what a rescue should be to those operating on the front line. I think if people are unhappy with any rescue, then put on your old clothes and volunteer to help them. With this in mind, I think it would be a good idea if a thread was started re "volunteering".

:thumb: :bunny: Well said Raine.

I don't think Theo was trying "to impose ideals" on anyone..just asking for opinions as good and bad rescues were mentioned in the "breeders" thread.

Constructive criticism could help to point out things which some of us running rescues could easily overlook..may help us all :D

As for not saying anything critical about rescues... that would be silly ..as we all accept there are some very bad ones out there...

I have seen some dreadful places where they are doing nothing right and should not be calling themselves a rescue..this includes breeding from the animals they take in to supply a pet shop :evil: ..not getting vet attention to very sick animals:cry: ...

I don't think Theo was trying "to impose ideals" on anyone..just asking for opinions as good and bad rescues were mentioned in the "breeders" thread.

Constructive criticism could help to point out things which some of us running rescues could easily overlook..may help us all :D

As for not saying anything critical about rescues... that would be silly ..as we all accept there are some very bad ones out there...

I have seen some dreadful places where they are doing nothing right and should not be calling themselves a rescue..this includes breeding from the animals they take in to supply a pet shop :evil: ..not getting vet attention to very sick animals:cry: ...

Well said Jill, that is exactely what I meant and I certainly wasn't trying to impose ideals on anyone as that is very negative and I was looking for the positive side and seeing if WE as rescues could improve!!

Jill and Theo, I am shocked that you felt my response to Theo's thread was my suggesting she was "imposing her ideals" on rescues. My response was clearly my perspective and refers to "my ideals"

If there are very bad rescues out there, then you should definitely address these concerns with the authorities.

I believe the majority of rescues are doing excellent work and need more hands than opinions, which brings me back to volunteering. We have had an offer of website help if you are interested in getting your site up.

I've been to a few rescues and helped out at one in particular and I am lucky that all these rescues have been pretty good. The best place for a bun to be is in a loving home where they are well cared for but unfortunately there are so many buns not this fortunate and whilst rescues can never give this to every rabbit that comes their way, they can give them a safe, warm place to recouperate and get well until this comes along.

There is always room for improvement but each rescue only has so many hutches and so much space. The one rescue I worked at had rabbit hutches that were 6ft long but often they had to split these in two due to the number of rabbits that were dumped on their doorstep. If asked if a 3ft hutch was ideal for a rabbit they would admit that no it wasn't but more important than ideals is the opportunity to give that rabbit a safe haven.

I've been to a few rescues and helped out at one in particular and I am lucky that all these rescues have been pretty good. The best place for a bun to be is in a loving home where they are well cared for but unfortunately there are so many buns not this fortunate and whilst rescues can never give this to every rabbit that comes their way, they can give them a safe, warm place to recouperate and get well until this comes along.

There is always room for improvement but each rescue only has so many hutches and so much space. The one rescue I worked at had rabbit hutches that were 6ft long but often they had to split these in two due to the number of rabbits that were dumped on their doorstep. If asked if a 3ft hutch was ideal for a rabbit they would admit that no it wasn't but more important than ideals is the opportunity to give that rabbit a safe haven.

Yes, when I started fostering I used to worry that I wasn't giving enough space and Jane always pointed out that it was far, far better than where they had come from and yes mine hae 6 foot double decker hutches and permanant runs but I always think there is room for improvement.

A good example was the 'Bobs Rescue bunnies from the farm', I mean anything was better than where they had come from, so I think we do the best we can which is not always ideal but I now think that as long as they get good veterinary care, clean fresh hay every day, food, water and exercise and then hopefully find them a new loving home.

I have been to 3 Rescues. Two were EXCELLENT. The third gave the Rabbits reasonable accomodation, although all runs were open-topped and they had lost several Buns to Foxes :cry: They have only recently started to routinely spay Does, although they always castrated the Bucks. They still dont vaccinate or homecheck. This rescue is RSPCA approved :?
If I did not have my Rabbits I would volunteer at the 'not so good' rescue as I think with help, especially fund-raising, things could be improved.

Janex

Jill and Theo, I am shocked that you felt my response to Theo's thread was my suggesting she was "imposing her ideals" on rescues. My response was clearly my perspective and refers to "my ideals"

I got what you meant. :)

The only bad experience I had was when I was first aproaching rescues. I called one who does not come on here and was advised that one of the indoor rabbit cages would be fine and that she didn't recomend a dog crate...can't imagine trying to get Barney and Roxy in that cage I had when I first got Barney :shock: I think I'd have two very cross bunnies on my hands...thankfully Jill set me straight.

My point is though that a lot of people will (including myself) will take the rescues word as gospel as they are in the business of caring for rabbits. I know there are loads of varying ideas on most issues with buns but the "most space possible" aproach seems to be a shared one. She didn't offer any advice on what size it should be or that I should get two.

The only bad experience I had was when I was first aproaching rescues. I called one who does not come on here and was advised that one of the indoor rabbit cages would be fine and that she didn't recomend a dog crate...can't imagine trying to get Barney and Roxy in that cage I had when I first got Barney :shock: I think I'd have two very cross bunnies on my hands...thankfully Jill set me straight.

My point is though that a lot of people will (including myself) will take the rescues word as gospel as they are in the business of caring for rabbits. I know there are loads of varying ideas on most issues with buns but the "most space possible" aproach seems to be a shared one. She didn't offer any advice on what size it should be or that I should get two.

This is why we feel it is so important to give the correct information in writing backed up with RWA leaflets

I have only ever contacted 2 and had a mixed response.

The first one was about 10 years ago - a local woman who had a story in the local paper about how she was full to the brim with rabbits desperatley needing a good home. My old english had been killed by a fox 2 weeks previous. He somehow managed to get out of his hutch during the night. No idea how as the hutch had 2 catches on the door top and bottom and the door stuck like mad. Well after telling her this she told me very nastily that she didnt want her rabbits being food for the foxes and I explained that my Dad was building a brand new cage for me and that I wanted a new bun in a couple of weeks time when my new hutch was ready and after my exams so that I could spend time with my new bun, she bit my head off and told me that "HER rabbits dont like being mauled about and like to be left on there own". I came off the phone in tears and needless to say I never rang back. I just prayed that the rabbits she had found homes and got away from her.

The 2nd (not technically a rescue, a family run 'hobbyist breeder) was just before xmas when I wanted a boy who would live outside but she said she would only let me have a pair if they would not be house rabbits. BEST advice ever, I could never imagine having just one bun ever again.

I dont think I could ever bring myself to go to the RSPCA, I would either be in floods of tears over the animals in there or come out with them all! I dont think that I could choose just one or 2.

There was one rescue close to me that I visited once as I was going to adopt some animals from there and help them out. It's a rescue run at home, they have around 100 rabbits, a LOT of cats and several dogs plus some small animals like rats etc. As I chatted to the woman who ran the place, I found out that they don't actually rehome many animals at all or even TRY to, yet complain about being overrun and not having any money [they live off benefits as well despite being able to work] and just complained about how people treated animals.

I completely understand that rescues must be vigilant when rehoming animals and I don't question that - but not rehoming any of them or even trying to? I was really unimpressed, especially as I was in a position at that point to take a few of their rats that weren't getting the attention they deserved.

I never did go back there to help out as I just couldn't justify it.

I've visited 2 -

The first: The buns are in massive hutches & are let out for run time everyday. They are not overun, & manage to help a fair few buns, doing homechecks or getting vet refs for potential homes. The adoption donation is extremely low, but all buns are neutered before rehoming. If a bun had to stay there forever - it wouldn't be a bad thing. All their needs are taken care of & there's not so many that they won't get human attention.

The second (actually the first one I ever went to). the people there do the best they can.:? Buns were stacked in cages all over their house. It wasn't the pleasantest smell, as the person who ran it also had a full time job & only cleaned out once a week. They've had buns dumped on them left, right & centre, & do a very hard job, with the little funds/space they have. I'm not sure how much time buns got out of their cages, but i'm assuming minimal due to the sheer number & lack of space. Males are neutered before rehoming but does only spayed on request. Although i was shocked by what I saw, the buns were obviously loved, & it's important to remember this is a temporary home, & quite possibly a tonne better than where the buns were previously. they do not homecheck or vaccinate.

Angie get out of my head please :lol: Same rescues, agree entirely with all the comments made :)

I have to say I totaslly agree with raine and I don't think she was having a go at anyone.

Someone on here as suggested that they prefer rescues that open between certain hours, as I work this would not be possible in the week, and I am certainly not staying in all my weekend in between hours of such and such, just so I can be there in case someone wants to come and see if they would class me as a good rescue :rolleyes: .

I get slightly annoyed with the critism sometimes to rescues as a whole. I have seen photos in the stories and photos bit, where regular members have put up pictures, and in them their animals bottles are only what I would call minging and hutch space aint all that. Yet I feel that I can be judge purly because I take in the odd bunny from a bad situation and hopefully find them a new home. I could understand if I/we were public funded then people would have a right to dictate what should and should not be done, but while I pay for everything and inconventance myself and my partner and do a little something from my own home, I don't see why people should come over all high and mighty. Maybe all the critics would like to do it themselves and then read the realms of critism and you think, it's so nice to have the love and support of your fellow humans :lol:

This isn't to have a go at anyone, just get so frustrated reading it all sometimes. I do my best and I do it fo rthe bunnies not to be in some sort of popularity contest as to who is best, who homes more and who does this that and another. The point is each rescue no matter how big or little do their best and to read people run them down is truely heartbreaking, when you think how many animals they've helped out of dangers way.

If people don't like certain rescues, instead of bleating about it, get some overalls and get down and help them, not run them down.

Phew rant over :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thats terrible!:cry: :cry: :cry:

I have to say I totaslly agree with raine and I don't think she was having a go at anyone.

Someone on here as suggested that they prefer rescues that open between certain hours, as I work this would not be possible in the week, and I am certainly not staying in all my weekend in between hours of such and such, just so I can be there in case someone wants to come and see if they would class me as a good rescue :rolleyes: .

I get slightly annoyed with the critism sometimes to rescues as a whole. I have seen photos in the stories and photos bit, where regular members have put up pictures, and in them their animals bottles are only what I would call minging and hutch space aint all that. Yet I feel that I can be judge purly because I take in the odd bunny from a bad situation and hopefully find them a new home. I could understand if I/we were public funded then people would have a right to dictate what should and should not be done, but while I pay for everything and inconventance myself and my partner and do a little something from my own home, I don't see why people should come over all high and mighty. Maybe all the critics would like to do it themselves and then read the realms of critism and you think, it's so nice to have the love and support of your fellow humans :lol:

This isn't to have a go at anyone, just get so frustrated reading it all sometimes. I do my best and I do it fo rthe bunnies not to be in some sort of popularity contest as to who is best, who homes more and who does this that and another. The point is each rescue no matter how big or little do their best and to read people run them down is truely heartbreaking, when you think how many animals they've helped out of dangers way.

If people don't like certain rescues, instead of bleating about it, get some overalls and get down and help them, not run them down.

:thumb: :thumb:

Good rant :D I think as long as the rabbits are well cared for it isn't really anyone elses business how a rescue is run.

What annoys me is when people winge about strict rehoming policies. If some one has spent their time, money and effort nursing a bun back to full health or whatever, then they have the right to rehome or not to rehome. Yes the bun may stay in rescue a bit longer but I think it is worth it to find the perfect place. Why would you expect them to settle for less??

Exactly Louise, you treat them like they are your own, as for a time they are. You certainly wouldn't let them go to someone you're not 100% sure of. :D

Back