• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescue or Free Ads?

Very interesting discussion.

I recently rehomed a rabbit from the free ads. He had no front teeth and is (and was) a house rabbit. He was unwanted due to the owners getting a dog and losing interest in him.

It worried me that he was 'free' - not from my point of view, but that he could be taken for any other purpose, including snake food. I thought carefully before taking him on - he had a long distance to travel and I'd never met him.

I would have been wary of the situation of a breeder getting a rabbit out of the way simply to make room for more. This wasn't such a case.

Having said all that he's the most affectionate, full of personality guy anyone could wish for. He had some unexpected health problems but nothing I couldn't deal with.

The good thing about a rescue is that you know the rabbit you're getting before you get them (usually), and taking a rabbit from the free ads is always a risk. However, if you're experienced with rabbits and up for a challenge, it saves and enriches the lives of the ones you 'save' and is a wonderful thing in my book :D

9 years old!!! RU archives!!

Trouble is we are still facing so many animals advertised on Gumtree etc. I have had buns advertised on such sites and have been very pleased to welcome the little animal into our home. I can see both sides of the situation. I have adopted from rescues too. I always think the little animal isn't aware it is a 'commodity' being sold and a life is a life. It takes all sorts, we each need to make our own choices as to where we 'rescue' our pets from - while I'm against breeders of ANY form and against the buying and selling of animals, I have no problems in rescuing animals from a fate worse than death via the free ads etc.

Each to their own eh? :wave:

Yep, done to death. Generally, I prefer free-ads (Gumtree and Facebook rehoming pages), in my experience, it has worked out better every time.

A member not as gobby as me and thee !! :lol:

Haha, indeed true Jane :lol:

I rarely have time to be on here, so I make the most when I can.

I've worked in rabbit rescues for the last, umm, 18 years .. fostered dozens of rabbits for R.S.P.C.A., rabbit rescues and particularly the Mayhew Animal Home (North London)

I used to be an 'advisor' when the Houserabbit Society had them - back in the 90's (yes, I must be very old!), and more recently was on the rabbit rehoming board of Hounslow R.S.P.C.A.

My work is mainly in rescue and rehoming. I have three buns of my own :love:

Back