• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

recommended pellets for baby bunny

hapixbuni

New Kit
I just wanted to see what you more experienced rabbit owners recommended pellet wise for a baby bunny (6 weeks). The breeder gave me some of the kind she was feeding him (his name is Icarus btw :)) but barely enough to last a week. So Iv been transitioning him to Mazori (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754061) because I get a discount at petsmart for working there and unfortunately it was one of the only few ones with a decent ingredient list =/. He did great the 1st 3 days, his bowl was always empty the next day, but these past 2 days he hasn't really touched it. He IS still drinking water, eating hay, and pooping/peeing fine though...

I wanted to get him Oxbow (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3135803) but it says only for adult rabbits :(

What would yall recommend? Preferably one i can purchase at petsmart lol.
Also how long can pellets stay out before I should just throw it out and refill his bowl?

If you couldn't tell I'm a 1st time bunny owner :oops:

Oxbow pellets are really good and they also have a junior version. Bunnies shouldn't leave their mum until 8 weeks of age. Pelleted food is better with a high fibre content.

I've been using Science Selective Junior for my bunnies (they're now 10½ weeks)....... https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Foo...cience+Selective+JUNIOR+Rabbit+:+2kg.457.html

and they're doing really well on it .... they did arrive having been fed Excel Adult but this upset their tummies and led to excess caecotropes so I slowly changed them over to the SS Junior and they've had no problems at all on it!

In fact they love it and dig in like they've never been fed!

Iv never seen the oxbow for juniors, Ill see if I can find it... And I know his age is young but the breeder told me it was an appropriate age to rehome as well as a few sites so I figured it was ok... plus she was already rehoming all his brothers and sisters and I didn't want to lose him so I took my chances... What should his diet primarily be right now at his age? Are carrots okay or should I wait until hes at least 12 weeks old still?

Any advice is appreciated. I dont want my lil guy to get sick or die :shock:

BITZY-
How much is that in american dollars, do you know?

Live rates at 2010.06.16 11:02:00 UTC
4.99 GBP = 7.39223 USD

That's for 2kg which with just one bun, should last quite a while (a couple of months at least).

I was told that the bulk of their diet should be hay and then babies should get around two decent handfuls of pellets each per day .... in light of his young age I'd say to wait a few more weeks before introducing any veggies, and when you do, do it really slowly in small quantities.

Again if you're going to change his pellets, do it really slowly, mix some of the new brand in with the old brand and then increase the new and decrease the old but do it like over a week so it doesn't upset his delicate little tum.

Does he have a name yet?

Okay. Thank you!

Well his name was Icarus for the past 5 days but Im thinking of renaming him to Gizmo, just looks more like a Gizmo lol but I havnt decided yet... as soon as I can get my phone to cooperate Ill post a pic of him. Hes a orange/black harlequin holland lop :D

The Oxbow product for young rabbits is called Bunny Basics 15/23 and is based on alfalfa hay not timothy. Alfalfa is fine for young bunnies to ensure they get enough calcium for growing bones. They need weaning off at about 6 months old.

Back