• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Really worried about Milo *UD 07/01*

He wouldn't drink the juice with metacam but I have given him the other 2. Its a 2 man operation though. My OH holds him and I syringe feed him the medicine.

So far he hasn't eaten anything since we got home. He won't touch the carrot, kale or basil :(

it may be more because of the stress, casper pulls a disgusted face after his meds and it leaves a awful taste in their mouth! its a shame he did not like his fruit juice :( casper was not too sure to start with but i think he knows now it helps him, hopefully when you do syringe it down he will feel better for it!, have you got any recovery food? if not get some of his pellets and warm water mush them up and syringe feed if he does not pick up, obviously recovery food is better :) He needs to get his gut back moving obviously if he does eat on his own its better but if he doesnt you will have to help him :(

Last edited:
So sorry Milo is poorly. :( Spenser had the same thing back in September and they look so miserable. He had the injections at the emergency vet, and although we didn't manage to get much recovery food into him he recovered the next day. :wave:

No recovery food but will try the pellets if he doesn't eat soon. If he doesn't improve he will be going back to the vets in the morning.

No recovery food but will try the pellets if he doesn't eat soon. If he doesn't improve he will be going back to the vets in the morning.

Ask for recovery food. It looks like mud, but seems to work wonders. I think they actually like the taste as Spenser licked the stuff that got splattered onto my fleece when he objected to the syringe. :roll:

your doing everything you can :) try to be positive for him maybe after his meds leave him to calm down with some of his fav foods, he may pick up when he knows your gone and he can calm down, its been a stressful day for both of you! I know its hard to to worry im in a state every time casper gets stasis! let us know how he is :)

He's eating the kale, carrot and basil that I put in his bowl :) :) :) I am leaving him to it and trying not to let him catch me watching him. How quickly will the medicine work?

He's eating the kale, carrot and basil that I put in his bowl :) :) :) I am leaving him to it and trying not to let him catch me watching him. How quickly will the medicine work?

Thats fantastic!! maybe he just needed to calm down, casper usally starts feeling the effects after a hour or two and then in the morning he acts like he has never been poorly :) give him lots of nice things for the night so he can keep his gut moving :wave:

We have had some more nomming of pellets and a little hay. I will leave him a bowl of fresh stuff before I go to bed tonight. How long should I continue with the medicine?

We have had some more nomming of pellets and a little hay. I will leave him a bowl of fresh stuff before I go to bed tonight. How long should I continue with the medicine?

Thats brilliant news!! has a got some poops too? hope he nommed lots through the night :D

did the vet not tell you how long? my vet usally says till syptoms have gone, but thats because we cant give metacam to casper for very long else he gets dirrhoea, i would just give the vets a quick call this morning and ask when to stop the meds as every bun is different :wave:

You need to ask the vet how long. Phone them and explain and they will likely talk to the vet for you and phone you back - that's what mine does. When Smudge went into stasis the vet told us to give him metacam for a week afterwards even though he was no longer showing any symptoms.

I left him a bowl of vegetables last night but it doesn't look like he had much. I don't think he had much hay either. He is eating this morning and we are about to attemp to give him the medicine again this morning. I will phone the vets to ask how long it should continue.

He seemed really bright last night but not as much this morning :(

Sorry he's not seeming so bright. Hopefully he's just a bit tired with the vet trip and meds, but I think you are quite right to ring the vet if you are concerned. Sending vibes. xx

I left him a bowl of vegetables last night but it doesn't look like he had much. I don't think he had much hay either. He is eating this morning and we are about to attemp to give him the medicine again this morning. I will phone the vets to ask how long it should continue.

He seemed really bright last night but not as much this morning :(

o im so sorry, hopefully he will pick up through the day, how is he now? iof he does not make any improvments you can always give the vets a call just to speak to someone :wave:

He's better :) Eating, pooping, destroying his cardboard box, being naughty and giving me a little nip for trying to clean around him :) :) :) I am so happy and so grateful for all the advice that has been given to me over the last few days.

He's better :) Eating, pooping, destroying his cardboard box, being naughty and giving me a little nip for trying to clean around him :) :) :) I am so happy and so grateful for all the advice that has been given to me over the last few days.

Yay!! naughty little milo is back :love: Thats very good news! Atleast you know the signs now incase it happens again, and you will know what to do :wave:

Back