• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Really worried about Harvey UD he's gone

I love the plant pot idea, I have a big wooden tub that they used as a digging box when they were in their aviary, so I'll use that

I think with the post-mortem that whatever it says I won't feel any better and know regardless there was nothing that I could have done just because he showed no symptoms of anything until 2 hours before he died :( the only reason I'd have it done was if the vet thought Lilly could be at risk and we need to know what it is to protect her.

The vet is pretty sure is was brain related, I think his little "episode" earlier were seizures to be honest :( they just didn't look like it at the time, he just was very confused the poor thing :( at least with it being quick he didn't suffer for long :( I can't believe he didn't even make it to 4 :( it's his birthday in a few weeks :(

Lilly is frantically grooming him now :( she loves him so much

I'm going to call the vets at 10am to get their advice on post mortems and on keeping an eye on Lilly, then I'll bury him, she'll have had him for about 9-10hours then which should be enough for her

So sorry for your loss. Like you say, it was so quick he didn't suffer very long, it's probably harder on you. Hope Lilly will be ok.

In so sorry to hear this. What an awful shock. Binky free Harvey. :cry:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vets have said they don't think Lilly is at risk but to keep monitoring her very closely anyway.

Given that, the fact that post mortems are often inconclusive and that regardless of what it was I did everything I could so there's nothing to learn for the future I think I won't go ahead with the post mortem, I want to put him at peace in his flower pot now rather than sending him away and waiting agonisingly for him to come back and have the results

The vet is very sure it was a neurological issue because of the seizures at the end and the episode that started it was probably a seizure too :(

I am so so sorry to hear about your beautiful Harvey :(

Binky free little one xx

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

I'm so so sorry to see this! What a horrid shock for you! :cry:

Sending loads of nose rubs for Lily & hugs for you xx

Binky free Harvey xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I am so sorry to read this. Harvey was such a character.

Lots of vibes for you and Lily. RIP Harvey.

Vets have said they don't think Lilly is at risk but to keep monitoring her very closely anyway.

Given that, the fact that post mortems are often inconclusive and that regardless of what it was I did everything I could so there's nothing to learn for the future I think I won't go ahead with the post mortem, I want to put him at peace in his flower pot now rather than sending him away and waiting agonisingly for him to come back and have the results

The vet is very sure it was a neurological issue because of the seizures at the end and the episode that started it was probably a seizure too :(

Given that I would ask the Vet about giving Lily a 28 day course of Panacur

So sorry to read this Hun. Never did get a big squishy cuddle from the lovely Harvey. Binky free at the bridge Harvey. Lots of love for you all Hun and nose rubs for Lilly xxx

I am so sorry to read this. :( How horrible and what a shock for you and Lilly.

Sending hugs your way and nose rubs for Lilly.

Binky free Harvey. xx

Thanks for all of your kind words, they mean a lot.

I genuinely am sad that everyone didn't get Harvey cuddles, he gave amazing cuddles and had the best character ever. He was more than I ever expected in a rabbit, I never expected a rabbit to crave human attention like he did and to form such an amazing bond with me, he honestly did love me, and not just for food! He did miss me when I was on my honeymoon. He was the most amazing bunny and I can't believe he's gone :(

OH was really uneasy about burying him in the flower pot because he believes burial should be below the ground and not above, he also is worried we'll end up moving house, maybe not next time, but the time after with many many flower pots with deceased pets in which makes him feel uneasy too, so we buried him in our flower bed that was over run with weeds, I de weeded it and have planted some beautiful blue and white flowers over him.

Lilly is restless, but is eating hay. She's not got an appetite for herbs or treats though and requires persuasion to eat them, she's on edge too as she relied on Harvey to confirm if everything was safe or not :( she's had lots of fusses though and has juts laid down properly for the first time

Given that I would ask the Vet about giving Lily a 28 day course of Panacur

Thanks for the advice, I'll have a word with the vet. They're thinking it is most likely a brain tumour or abscess rather than EC, but I'll ask for Panacur in case

Back