• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ranitidine

dollyanna

Alpha Buck
Odin has been sent home with 5 days with of ranitidine twice a day, with the option to continue with this as needed. The reasoning behind it is that his gut has been not quite right for a while and we aren't exactly sure why - hopefully it was just the minor teeth issue, or the blocked lacrimal ducts, and it will settle down now that these are gone.
But what should I expect to see if he is on it successfully? Should he have perfect poo, and if he doesn't it means it isn't working? How long do I give it to assess this, how quickly should it take to be effective?
Yesterday he was still recovering I think, with a very varied stool size, but some very promising ones that had lost the little "tail" and were a decent size for him, and shape. I'm hoping we just get more of these in the very near future. But if we don't, I want to research what the next steps could be, and the first part of that is understanding what to actually expect from the ranitidine short term and potentially longterm.
He is also still on metacam but I want to try him off that as soon as he is healed enough, as I don't think we will get an accurate view of him until we know painkillers aren't needed.

We're unfortunately pretty regular users of ranitidine here. Its a gentle gut drug.

It increases how often the stomach empties so keeps things moving as it goes through and it also has some protective qualities against stomach ulcers although in rabbits that may not be the case.

Its often given with metacam as some vets believe it can offset any impact on the stomach lining from the metacam. Although that's also done with feeding with/before metacam.

I normally give rantidine until input and output are fairly normal for the bun concerned.

Primrose used to get awful gas episodes when she needed a dental as the pain slowed everything down and then her poo would change. Ranitidine plus metacam for 3 to 5 days after a dental would usually get her back to normal.

Then coming off she'd usually stay fine,once she slipped backwards after a particularly bad one so she had an extra week. She rarely needed a hindgut medicine like Emeprid whereas Rodney seems to respond better to that as his trouble tends to be lower gut.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Ranitidine may be very hard to obtain now as it has been withdrawn from sale for humans .

https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/ranitidine/

Cisapride is an alternative

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/cisapride/

Yeah, I'm aware of that but my vet said she can get tablets, just not the liquid form now. Fortunately tablets are easier with Odin, he won't take a syringe so an liquids have to be palatable and hidden in raspberries! I can hide small tablets in raisins and he takes them no bother.

We're unfortunately pretty regular users of ranitidine here. Its a gentle gut drug.

It increases how often the stomach empties so keeps things moving as it goes through and it also has some protective qualities against stomach ulcers although in rabbits that may not be the case.

Its often given with metacam as some vets believe it can offset any impact on the stomach lining from the metacam. Although that's also done with feeding with/before metacam.

I normally give rantidine until input and output are fairly normal for the bun concerned.

Primrose used to get awful gas episodes when she needed a dental as the pain slowed everything down and then her poo would change. Ranitidine plus metacam for 3 to 5 days after a dental would usually get her back to normal.

Then coming off she'd usually stay fine,once she slipped backwards after a particularly bad one so she had an extra week. She rarely needed a hindgut medicine like Emeprid whereas Rodney seems to respond better to that as his trouble tends to be lower gut.

So basically it's a case of wait and see over the next few days?

Yes definitely, I think you've said you have a good relationship with your vets?

I'd access his poop and once its stable and regular I'd maybe have a quick chat with the vet and see what they think as its his first time on it.

My vet and I had a managed plan for Primrose so we always decided when we had regular output for a good 12 hours and would then transition her off both metacam and rantidine usually by giving her the evening dose and then accessing her in the morning and through the next day.

The longest term we've had on it was Rodney for about 6 weeks last year which was fine but we did have to transition him off by slowly reducing frequency but he'd been on every gut med so he needed a gentle reduction of everything to get his guts to take over properly in our vets opinion.

In my experience once they're up and exercising gut wise things always seem to get going quite well and the gut meds just helped offset the anesthetic affects.

I hope he's still well and getting into lots of mischief?

I have always kept using it until input / output were back to normal for at least a day. Stopping too soon is counter-productive.

Ranitidine has mild prokinetic effects on the lower GI tract, it does not increase the rate of which the stomach empties. Is Odin’s GI tract problem related to his lower GI tract.

Sorry I am a bit out of the loop on specifics, just wondering why he may need it long term

ETA Metoclopramide increases the rate of gastric emptying and when used with Ranitidine the Ranitidine enhances the effect of Metoclopramide.

Last edited:
Ranitidine has mild prokinetic effects on the lower GI tract, it does not increase the rate of which the stomach empties. Is Odin’s GI tract problem related to his lower GI tract.

Sorry I am a bit out of the loop on specifics, just wondering why he may need it long term

I'm not sure exactly what her thinking is behind potentially using it longterm, she just said see how he goes and if he does well on it and needs more then I just have to ask. I'm hoping that once he recovers and he feels better from the facial work that we won't need it, I don't see why we should.

I hope he's still well and getting into lots of mischief?

He is doing VERY well and very much a complete mischief :love: Still humping but I'm not sure it's even as much, though that may be wishful thinking and he has always been up and down anyway. He is eating like a trooper, output not quite where I would like it yet but regular and frequent albeit in slightly smaller amounts than normal and the odd softer one still. But that was last night - today he's been outside as he is healing really nicely, had a good run round the garden and then settled to sleep in his usual place outside so I won't know until this evening how he's doing. But mostly we're at the point of wondering if the poo is a small-for-Freja, or back-to-normal-for-Odin size, and she is so regular that it can only be his.

I suspect that now his teeth are sorted and he is getting a good diet his GI tract motility will improve and he wont need Ranitidine long term :)

Back