• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits on BBC 1 magic program

So glad to see we are all using the same facts (33,000 in rescue, 6x2x2ft for hutches ) and using similar words to express how we are feeling, hopefully they will be taking notice of us and make some steps to make sure it doesn't happen again

I dont normally post on threads like this but after watching it i only felt it was right too. I have sent a complaint to the BBC.

Disgusting.

Just watched it on iPlayer. Horrified. How disgusting was the magician roaring while holding the big bunny up to the audience who then roared and cheered - terrifying the poor bunnies. And just where do these bunnies go afterwards???

I'm going to write a complaint but what are they going to do about it apart from maybe say sorry? The show is over now and viewers have already been given out the wrong message. :cry:

Just watched it on iPlayer. Horrified. How disgusting was the magician roaring while holding the big bunny up to the audience who then roared and cheered - terrifying the poor bunnies. And just where do these bunnies go afterwards???

It's so unnecessary that is the really irritating thing for me:evil:

I didnt watch it but i can imagine. I am going to do a complaint but what is the actual title of the programme as it needs to be filled in ?

Bet they used one of these animal "suppliers" - same kind of people who would agree to supply reindeer and penguins to Hamleys. And they've probably all gone back to the same place.

Posted my aggravations on my pet-related twitter account.

I didnt watch it but i can imagine. I am going to do a complaint but what is the actual title of the programme as it needs to be filled in ?

It's on iplayer fast forward to 40mins in - I'm gutted about it - that bloke was rubbish - the entire bit he does with bimbo airhead in heels is just gross.

I've not seen it but I did the other week and there was a horse on which looked terrified and also ill....I know nothing about horses but just thought it was really run-down looking - its spine seemed to be sagging in the middle. :? Don't think I can watch this week's if it's more of the same.

I've not seen it but I did the other week and there was a horse on which looked terrified and also ill....I know nothing about horses but just thought it was really run-down looking - its spine seemed to be sagging in the middle. :? Don't think I can watch this week's if it's more of the same.

yes the horse looked scard too, ears back, rigid etc

:lol: Don't think mine would fit on Twitter - I've been meaning to get back on there but, one of those days :roll: Will try a bit later though ;)

As a licence payer in the UK I was very disappointed to see that you have allowed Magicians to use live rabbits (quite young) as props in a 'trick' on this show, this is a return to the using of live animals and rabbits are not suitable for this purpose given the requirements they have to ensure health and wellbeing.

Whilst they are young as the ones on the show were they are extremely sensitive to noise, handling and need to feel secure and safe with constant access to hay and ideally food and water. They should not be transported around, housed in plastic boxes and treated like props on a magic show, this is sending out the exact message that a lot of rabbit welfare organisations are trying to eliminate. They are not suitable animals for this - they are a prey species and highly prone to stress which in turn can prove fatal through not eating the gut can slow down and if not treated the rabbit can die.

When looked after correctly a rabbit can live 8-9 years and there is a lot of work being put into raising the profile of the species given it is the UK's 3rd most popular pet, it is afforded an inadequate amount of protection from abuse. Rabbits do not like to be exposed to noise and overcrowding. Additionally, the hutch shown was inadequate for the housing of even a single rabbit, as the minimum hutch standards, as recommended by the RSPCA, is 6x2x2 feet. I am also concerned about the number of rabbits used. Have there been checks on their living conditions? What is going to happen to them when the programme is over and when they reach maturity?

The use of live animals should be discouraged for all forms of entertainment when there is a risk to the animals health, the show could have still happened using a toy rabbit.

Please consider the wider implications of allowing such things to be broadcast on prime time Saturday night TV -

There are currently (over 33,000 rabbits in rescues), promoting rabbits as children's pets was inappropriate as they are not suitable for children under 7-8 years of age and this is largely a factor in so many being bought and dumped when the animal becomes large enough to scratch and kick etc - handling should be very careful with adult supervision only.

What were you thinking ? That this is 1950 or something - things are changing and slowly improving towards a greater understanding around the ethics of animal welfare and the BBC go and take a major step backwards!! Well done - it's frankly disgusting and you ought to be ashamed of yourselves - what really galls me is that my TV Licence has helped pay for that farce!

That is absolutely brilliant!

Back