• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What herbs/veg good for rabbits/easy to grow?!

Halcyon

New Kit
Hello! I'm going to the garden centre today and want some personal opinions on what kind of herbs or veggies your rabbits go mad for?! We plan on growing some for the rabbits to supplement their diet 🥰

How much room have you got for the plants? Will they be growing in the soil or in containers/vegetable troughs? If you've got room, then in my view the very best to choose would be Kale. It grows easily and provides food almost all year round. Flat-leaved Parsley is also quite robust and grows easily.

Have you also considered foraging? There's plenty of good, nutritious, free food available if you can find somewhere away from the risk of dogs' urinating. Have a search through here for ideas https://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/index.php?threads/my-foraging-diary.455755/page-130#post-7354978

We have a whole sectioned off area we plan to turn into a vegetable garden eventually but the big plans for the bunny shed has put that on hold 🙈 for now I've just got pots. I did consider foraging also, my old garden back when I had rabbits had loads of dandelions but I'd be worried about pesticides or any disease's on the plants in other places?

If using pots I wouldn't recommend kale then, it doesn't seem to do well in pots imo, although you can feed it as micro greens when they are baby plants.

Just try some herbs if doing pots. You can propagate basil from a supermarket plant and makes loadsss of it, or watercress from a salad bag, that does well in a pot! Parsley is pretty resilient. You can also grow carrots in a deep pot, but they're a faff imo, to get the carrots (even with sieved soil) obviously the carrots would be for you, but the carrot greens mine love!

If using pots I wouldn't recommend kale then, it doesn't seem to do well in pots imo, although you can feed it as micro greens when they are baby plants.

Just try some herbs if doing pots. You can propagate basil from a supermarket plant and makes loadsss of it, or watercress from a salad bag, that does well in a pot! Parsley is pretty resilient. You can also grow carrots in a deep pot, but they're a faff imo, to get the carrots (even with sieved soil) obviously the carrots would be for you, but the carrot greens mine love!
I agree with this. Wait until you can plant some Kale directly into the ground.

With foraging, I wouldn't be at all concerned about pesticides or diseases if you use areas in the countryside. You would probably be able to find some plants in your garden at the moment. We are just approaching the peak time for foraging for bunnies.

Try Perpetual Spinach. I've grown mine in large pots as well as the ground and it's good for humans as well as bunnies.

Could also try Sage and Mint as well.

Rocket is easy to grow from seed
Clover
Lemon balm
Corriander
Parsley (although it won't grow for me)
Fenugreek
Thornless bramble - train up a fence / trellis / fan of canes / wind round a wigwam support
Raspberries - canes can be fed to bunnies
Pea plants - you eat the peas, buns get the rest (empty pods, whole plant)
Sweetcorn plants - again, you get the corn, they get the rest of the plant
Strawberry - fruit for you, leaves for bunnies. Decorative. Will grow pretty much around anything else either in pots, window boxes or in the ground. Good for ground cover.

• Lemon Balm
  • Mint
  • Daisies
  • Kale
  • Sage
  • Parsley
  • Raspberry/blackberry/blueberry/strawberry leaves
  • Lettuce (not iceberg!)
  • Chamomile
These are my rabbits' faves, and they are the EASIEST THINGS TO GROW!!! (except Parsley. But once it's sprouted, it's truly worth it :) )

Also, like Omi said, foraging is an exceptional option. You'd be surprised at how many weeds, trees, and wild plants rabbits will go crazy for. I mean, that's what they ate before they were domesticated.

Thank you all for your advice! So much I didn't know, I didn't think rabbits would like daisies! But makes sense as garden's are usually full of them. I have ordered the foraging book also , my daughter will really enjoy going foraging I think ☺️

Back