• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits in different countries

a reader of books

Warren Veteran
I really like looking at bunny pictures, and reading about bunnies (who would have thought :lol:) and it's interesting to me how views on bunny care differ between countries, while bunny people in every country seem to see the way they do it as 'normal'. Like, in the UK, you all often refer to the size requirements for housing by the RWAF, but in the Netherlands, it's generally recommended that you need two square meters for two bunnies (I know, it's tiny). And then when you look at bunny pictures from Germany, you notice that they all give their bunnies huge amounts of veggies, while in the UK it's recommended that that's only about 10% of their diet. And in Germany conifers like Christmas trees are given to bunnies, while in the Netherlands those trees are considered toxic to bunnies. And in the US, bunny people seem to generally be against keeping bunnies outside, while in Europe it's considered to be fine as long as they have safe housing. I'm not really going anywhere with this, but it's something that interests me. I mean, with every country's bunny people thinking differently, is it really possible to say there's One Right Way to care for bunnies?

Hmm that's interesting, it really varies by country. But I can say that Turkey is a complete disaster in this regard. I think rabbit communities should take action for rabbits in Turkey. There is no legal way to get rabbits, everything is unregulated, there is hardly any rabbit vet, there is hardly any rabbit food/products, and they are all fed only unhealthy pellets. The situation is really awful, there aren't even any rabbit vaccines. Most of the people who own rabbits in Turkey die because of ignorance and incorrect care (it is said to be 85 percent). Again, I'm sad to tell, I'm really happy that we came here mostly for Cookie.

I really like looking at bunny pictures, and reading about bunnies (who would have thought [emoji38]) and it's interesting to me how views on bunny care differ between countries, while bunny people in every country seem to see the way they do it as 'normal'. Like, in the UK, you all often refer to the size requirements for housing by the RWAF, but in the Netherlands, it's generally recommended that you need two square meters for two bunnies (I know, it's tiny). And then when you look at bunny pictures from Germany, you notice that they all give their bunnies huge amounts of veggies, while in the UK it's recommended that that's only about 10% of their diet. And in Germany conifers like Christmas trees are given to bunnies, while in the Netherlands those trees are considered toxic to bunnies. And in the US, bunny people seem to generally be against keeping bunnies outside, while in Europe it's considered to be fine as long as they have safe housing. I'm not really going anywhere with this, but it's something that interests me. I mean, with every country's bunny people thinking differently, is it really possible to say there's One Right Way to care for bunnies?
Yea it's so true! I notice this a lot.

The only one I really understand is in America there's a lot of really extreme temperatures which makes housing them outside not a good idea. But Americans tend to jump on anyone keeping them outside, without realising over here it's not the same, plus we don't have the predators they do!

It's like hamster care, if you had to be a hamster you'd wanna live in Germany, even in their pet stores the enclosures are insane!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Hmm that's interesting, it really varies by country. But I can say that Turkey is a complete disaster in this regard. I think rabbit communities should take action for rabbits in Turkey. There is no legal way to get rabbits, everything is unregulated, there is hardly any rabbit vet, there is hardly any rabbit food/products, and they are all fed only unhealthy pellets. The situation is really awful, there aren't even any rabbit vaccines. Most of the people who own rabbits in Turkey die because of ignorance and incorrect care (it is said to be 85 percent). Again, I'm sad to tell, I'm really happy that we came here mostly for Cookie.
Yeah, in some countries they're definitely more knowledgeable about rabbits that in others, and it's really sad that in Turkey most rabbits aren't cared for well. Of course, a lot of people over here care very badly for their rabbits, too, so I was more talking about the things people who actually know about bunnies do, rather than your average person who sticks a bunny in a tiny hutch. I'm glad it's easier to care well for Cookie here. I know it was hard for you to get good veterinary care in Turkey.

Yea it's so true! I notice this a lot.

The only one I really understand is in America there's a lot of really extreme temperatures which makes housing them outside not a good idea. But Americans tend to jump on anyone keeping them outside, without realising over here it's not the same, plus we don't have the predators they do!

It's like hamster care, if you had to be a hamster you'd wanna live in Germany, even in their pet stores the enclosures are insane!

Yeah, exactly. I understand the reasoning behind it if you live in the US, but like you said, it's not the same over here in Europe, so it doesn't make sense to tell people who live here that they care badly for their bunnies because they live outside, and that all bunnies need to be house bunnies, which I see sometimes.

I've seen some German hamster enclosures! They're amazing!

Yeah, exactly. I understand the reasoning behind it if you live in the US, but like you said, it's not the same over here in Europe, so it doesn't make sense to tell people who live here that they care badly for their bunnies because they live outside, and that all bunnies need to be house bunnies, which I see sometimes.

I've seen some German hamster enclosures! They're amazing!

Exactly!

Yea that's why I always get our hamster stuff from rodipet tbh they have the best stuff!

Exactly!

Yea that's why I always get our hamster stuff from rodipet tbh they have the best stuff!

They have some really good stuff for hamsters! I don't have a hamster, but I've seen their stuff. I feel like in Germany animal people are really good about giving small mammals lots of space.

Is keeping rabbits as popular in The Netherlands as in the UK?
Hmm, I think they're a little less popular? I think rabbits are the third most kept pet in the UK, right? But in the Netherlands, they're in fourth place, after fish. But they're still quite popular. More so as pets for children than for adults, though, sadly.

Back