• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit shows

I agree a domestic rabbit's ideal life isn't being wild, because humans have already intervened and put them at a disadvantage in the survival game. What's a disadvantage to a wild rabbit can be an advantage to a pet. Looks and behaviour that would get a wild rabbit killed would put a pet at an advantage. Though even there humans have screwed some things up totally.

Pets are by their nature for their owners entertainment and pleasure. I presume you like having your bunnies around? Most owners don't get a pet if they don't derive some pleasure from sharing their life with them. And I'm quite happy to admit finding my bunnies antics entertaining.

Marking everything that isn't strictly and solely for a rabbit's benefit as automatically wrong is where I disagree with you. My rabbit derives no benefit from me turning the light on at night so I can watch him - he can see in the dark. Does that make it wrong? It's for my benefit not his. How about if a friend visits and looks at my rabbits - the rabbits get no benefit from being shown off - does that make it wrong?

There are things that I dislike about shows and showing - but because humans enjoy it and bunnies don't derive any benefit, is not particularly high on my list.

:wave: I see what your saying now and do agree although, what I think is probably the key for me is knowing whether or not the rabbits are stressed in any way, I do derive pleasure from keeping my rabbits as pets but, only because I don't cause them any unnecessary stress or discomfort, if I were to do that then it wouldn't be pleasurable to me, I like to see them happy and I do actually consider their needs and welfare before my pleasure. It's interesting to think of it in this way though, it kind of makes me realise that although some'times I think of myself as a bit selfish, actually I'm not, where my 'pets' are concerned I'm not sure I even view them as pets, they are animals that belong to me and I kind of do everything I can to ensure that their needs are met first and foremost, often at the expense of my own sometimes.

I do take your point though and I am sure there are genuine owners who attend shows and only because the rabbits don't mind it, I still can't quite accept that they would enjoy it but, I accept it's not always harmful to them and hope that in cases where it is stressful, they wouldn't keep doing it.

I agree a domestic rabbit's ideal life isn't being wild, because humans have already intervened and put them at a disadvantage in the survival game. What's a disadvantage to a wild rabbit can be an advantage to a pet. Looks and behaviour that would get a wild rabbit killed would put a pet at an advantage. Though even there humans have screwed some things up totally.

Pets are by their nature for their owners entertainment and pleasure. I presume you like having your bunnies around? Most owners don't get a pet if they don't derive some pleasure from sharing their life with them. And I'm quite happy to admit finding my bunnies antics entertaining.

Marking everything that isn't strictly and solely for a rabbit's benefit as automatically wrong is where I disagree with you. My rabbit derives no benefit from me turning the light on at night so I can watch him - he can see in the dark. Does that make it wrong? It's for my benefit not his. How about if a friend visits and looks at my rabbits - the rabbits get no benefit from being shown off - does that make it wrong?

There are things that I dislike about shows and showing - but because humans enjoy it and bunnies don't derive any benefit, is not particularly high on my list.

A very wise answer Tamsin:)

What I think is probably the key for me is knowing whether or not the rabbits are stressed in any way, I do derive pleasure from keeping my rabbits as pets but, only because I don't cause them any unnecessary stress or discomfort, if I were to do that then it wouldn't be pleasurable to me, I like to see them happy and I do actually consider their needs and welfare before my pleasure. It's interesting to think of it in this way though, it kind of makes me realise that although some'times I think of myself as a bit selfish, actually I'm not, where my 'pets' are concerned I'm not sure I even view them as pets, they are animals that belong to me and I kind of do everything I can to ensure that their needs are met first and foremost, often at the expense of my own sometimes.

I do take your point though and I am sure there are genuine owners who attend shows and only because the rabbits don't mind it, I still can't quite accept that they would enjoy it but, I accept it's not always harmful to them and hope that in cases where it is stressful, they wouldn't keep doing it.

:thumb:Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

Back